Who makes for a good tenant?

In your own personal experiences with your IP's, who would you say generally makes for a low fuss, good tenant????????

- Families
- Couples, no kids
- Students
- Singles
- other

I know this will be a hugely general and personal thing but I would be interested in knowing what your own experience has been.

And what type of property would that "best" tenant group prefer?

Hmm......ideally high income individuals or DINKs, who love to eat out (i.e. never cook at home), and only ever come home to sleep and shower.....

Cheers,

The Y-man

This of course makes sense Y man. The less time they spend in your property the less wear and tear I guess.

Maybe I need to refine my question????

Maybe the question should have been best tenant for the different types of properties?

Best tenant for a 2 bedroom unit

Best tenant for a 3 bedroom home

etc????

I have the theory that the way you present your property is directly proportional to the quality of the tennant you will attract.

Better Presentation -> Higher Rent -> Better Tennant.

Simple yet so true.

I think your question is very general because you will find good and bad in all groups of individuals that will rent your properties.

In theory I guess if you have the option, you'll probably hope for a couple without kids. I've had all types of tennants in my IP's ie. couple, couple with kids, single person etc. and have never had a problem with any of them. I believe the key to it is having a good PM that can find you a good tennant(s), regardless of which category they fit into.

You could have two seperate couples with 2 kids each. One family may neglect and trash the place, the other family may be model tennants. Both the same demographic - so it's up to your PM to do their job well.

Lots of good points here.

Steve, I guess my next question to you then is, how do you know you've found a great PM????

lol, when you have mine! ;)

Seriously though, I guess it unfortunately a matter of trial and error sometimes. Make sure you ring around to all the PM's in the area and are comfortable with the one you pick.

One thing that I did realise a while back is, find out from the PM how many houses their office handles, and whether they have many tennants on file. My PM's office manages over 1000 properties, and she said she always has a good list of tennants waiting (how this works I have no idea).

Someone in my area is going with another office to get it let out, and it's been on the market for 3wks+ (I think) with no one yet. Told them to call my PM - she said no problems and already had tennants waiting. So it can also depend on the agency/size etc. No point in having the best PM in the city if they only have a database of 50 tennants.

Back