Who pays for gas?

Hi all,

So my new granny flat is ready for rental and I've just set up an account with Supagas to supply 2 gas bottles for the HWS and cooking.

The question is who pays for the refills and what happens when the tenants move out?

How do I determine how much they've used, since there's no gauge? :confused:

What do other landlords do in this case?

Thanks,
dreamgirl

All our tenants pay for their own gas. They organise it, just like they do when connecting their phone and electricity.

In this case I had to organise the initial 2 bottles (required by priv. Certifier).
I could make it a lease condition that when the tenant leaves he has to make sure that the 2 gas bottles are full. But how do I check that when there's no gauge or metre?

Curious to know how much gas the HWS is going to use, might be going through gas bottles frequently.
Was electric hot water not an option?

If the tenant pays for the gas, you won't need a gauge, they simply sacrifice whatever is left in the bottle/s when they vacate.

Curious to know how much gas the HWS is going to use, might be going through gas bottles frequently.
Was electric hot water not an option?

If the tenant pays for the gas, you won't need a gauge, they simply sacrifice whatever is left in the bottle/s when they vacate.

Gas was stipulated on the BASIX.
I realise I'm responsible for the bottle rental, but will now pass on the cost of gas to the new tenants, based on your advice. The only problem is if they don't want to 'sacrifice' what's left in the bottle when they vacate.
I guess this is where the gas bottle scale comes in handy.
I could just reimburse them for what's left, and then charge that to the new tenant.

Thanks a million peeps!! :D

We had a tenant who wanted gas (LPG) connected so we did the connection and tenant handled the rest including the bottles and rental of.

Why would the landlord pay for the rental of gas bottles?

Back