Do you own your own business?

• Yes

Votes: 54 71.1%
  • No

Votes: 22 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, we do...multiple businesses.

Major ones are property investing, (I am responsible for all and sundry there), and the other is equine industry related, a passion we both share, and for us, a way of life...we seem to have bundled our lives into everything that we love, makes us tick, floats our boats, our lifestyle is our business. Our businesses' our lifestyle. Very happy people, new dawn, new day....and I'm feelin' good.

Inspirational :p I just love the passion you have, it seeps thru your post :)

GG

Same here. Business allows me to interact with customers, but since I have staff, plus it's not flat chat 100% of the time - allows me to focus on increasing turnover with new strategies, as well as taking care of my other investments as well.

Hard to get industry specific information, but we beat the local Westfield's for average sales per m2 including Marion (one of the best in the country), so I guess we're doing ok.

Hi Steve,

You might have mentioned it somewhere but type of business do you own?

I too love the interaction with customers.........................

GG

We just had our unofficial launch on the weekend at the fitness expo - BlackHeart Events. We do Personal Training, Adventure racing/training, Defence training, mountain bike racing, amongst others.

Blown away by demand from general public, loving it and can't wait to finish serving my time as in three days it's gone from needing the JOB to needing to be out of it to spend time on the business.
I enjoy the fact that it's not a hands off business at this stage, it's a lifestyle I like.

You'll probably look back it as the best thing that's happened to you.

Any idea what industry you want to get into? I've heard hardware industry is pretty difficult for smaller independents, even smaller chains?

I have been in the Timber and Hardware industry for 24 years, its time to move on.

But I still want to stay in a customer focused type of business.

I'm open to suggestions :)

And at the same time, I'm looking into utilising my 6 acres for a Lavander farm (producing oil) and/or breeding British Alpine Goats

GG

Good on you.

Talk it over big time with your partner. Get her to agree to the long hours, working weekends, nights, etc.. And then get her to take a course in MYOB to do the books. Save $$ on bookeeper, honesty and better service.

But seriously, dont underestimate the impact on your life and wife. I am presently in the Airport Bus lounge flying to Syd and we live in Vic. I will return Friday morning and my wife and I are good but we still miss each other. My daughter at 3.5 old is use to it but it still hurts. And our business is mature and very profitable. We work and rest all hours and that is our life.

Some cannot cut that.

Peter

Hi Peter,

What business are you in?

I noticed where you live, my Dad lives there too, very nice :)

GG

Hi Craigb,

Yes, i am procrastinating (don't you just love that word) but as you might have seen from another thread i just started, I quit my job today and i couldn't be happier :)

Yes it is a scary step but its a step that i had to take and happy i did.

So on we go to the next stage in our lives,

GG

All the best for your business ...... I believe you'll success ........

Please share as many feelings/experiences/issues what ever as you can..

Best wishes

Ryan

IHe still refuses to step up, take a Management role and become registered.

Husband had to sit down with him and tell him to shape up or hand his 10% back. We have realised he will never be management material.

Regards Jo

Hi Josko

What type of business are you referring too?

Agree leaders and managers are hard to find BUT identifying the behaviours/actions and skills they are not demonstrating puts the pressure onto them to step up or ship out!!!

Kind Regards
Sheryn

We just had our unofficial launch on the weekend at the fitness expo - BlackHeart Events. We do Personal Training, Adventure racing/training, Defence training, mountain bike racing, amongst others.

Blown away by demand from general public, loving it and can't wait to finish serving my time as in three days it's gone from needing the JOB to needing to be out of it to spend time on the business.
I enjoy the fact that it's not a hands off business at this stage, it's a lifestyle I like.

Hey Mooze,

I was at the fitness expo, just visiting though.
The industry seems to be overcoming any difficult times, as far as I can see.
We are as busy as ever.
Let us know if you need any equipment....

Hi GG,

I have set up 3 businesses from ground zero. I do not like to work in business though I just love to build the systems and get them to a point where I can appoint other people to run them.

You sound enthusiastic and congratulations on taking on the challenge. I have just gotten my property management business at an independent stage so now I have "time". Feel free to contact me at any time [email protected] if you want to have a chat.

X

GG professionals to do what?
They may do the tasks but you still need to manage the work & the professionals doing it.
Many people who relied on "professionals" to do things for them lost much $$ in the process.

I'm not saying don't do it, just don expect everybody else to do it for you.
Of course the books (and the consultants) will tell you that all you need to do is have systems & procedures in writing and just get the employees to follow them.
Well I'm gonna tell you that 80% of humans cannot follow a simple set of instructions on a sheet of paper consistently.

good luck

I think the reasoning behind the poll was to find out the number of business owners on SS

But what is a business?
Is an SMSF a business?
If I mow granny's lawn for a carton of beer, am I in the lawn care business?
If my IP's are owned by 5 different entities, do I own 5 business?
Does a kid have his own automotive care & detailing business if he washes your car for $10?

Some people under-estimate, most over-estimate.

But what is a business?
Is an SMSF a business?
If I mow granny's lawn for a carton of beer, am I in the lawn care business?
If my IP's are owned by 5 different entities, do I own 5 business?
Does a kid have his own automotive care & detailing business if he washes your car for $10?

Some people under-estimate, most over-estimate.

I agree, I personally wouldn't include any of those as a business.

To me a business is what you generally think when you hear the word 'business' ie. with a shop front, factory, office etc that has employees, can be sold off and continue operating for the new owner once you've sold. Or for example Nutrimetics is a business. The woman who was at my house selling it last week does not own a business - she just bought herself a job.

Referring to GG's original post in this thread, I also don't consider managing a whole bunch of properties as a 'business.' If that's all you do, then I would define you as an investor looking after your investments - and more power to you, but again, I don't classify that as a business. The line would start to get blurred when you get to the top of the ladder and need more active management beyond just yourself like managers, leasing people etc like large property trusts with many employees, but for the sake of this thread - property is an investment, not a business.

I dont run my business as a full time thing, but i could almost live off it.

Im currently providing advertising and sales materials for clubs and small business

Stickers, Signage, Banners, Business Cards, Fliers, etc

With this I am going fairly well and has helped alot with funding of my personal hobbies so not having to fund them through my current wages.

My Main job is CFO for 3 Companies
Soltek Communications - 24/7 Call Centre
Australian Roadside Services - Heavy Vehicle Breaksdown Assist (Like RACV but for big trucks)
Fix-A-Flat - Mobile Tyre Repairs for all vehicle types. Melbourne sevice only.

and we have a side project which is helping with my growth of knowledge in Property and Development which is the Tarcutta Truck Stop Project

Last edited:
Back