Who speaks to the neighbours?

If the fence for an IP needs replacing & there are 4 houses that share the fencing, we as the owners would approach them all & co ordinate with the fencing contractor wouldnt we?
Someone at work suggested the PM should/would do this but I cant see them having the time for things like this - sure they could co ordinate between tenant & contractor for access but that would be about all - yes?

Cheers
Stella

Our property managers have always approached neighbours for fence issues and taken care of all legal matters related on behalf of clients.

As a property investor however I have never bothered with neighbours especially with developments. If time is an issue it is quicker to put a fence up and pay for it in full than waste time trying to come to an agreement with neighbours! Just my thoughts :)

There was only one case where we made a neighbour pay half, he was being a pain to deal with even though he was getting a free fence. He tried to waste our time being very picky for something he was not paying for so we took him to court to fast track the process, the fence was up a week later and the judge ordered him to pay half. If he had not gone down the path of stalling the process as much as he possibly could we would have had it up earlier and paid for it in full!

I have found PMs show passive resistance to dealing with fences. Don't know if they should be taking care of it, but have chosen to deal with neighbours myself in the past. It creates good will anyway between you and your neighbour (so long as there are no issues) and you are in a position to negotiate on any changes you both might want. If it is time for a new fence, in most cases the neighbours have been wanting and waiting to have it done too.
It'll be a bit of a mission with 4 different neighbours, but just treat each section of fence as a separate job if you can't co-ordinate for the lot to happen at the same time.

Seeka

Last edited:
Stella - that is why you have a property manager isn't it? To manage all things associated with your property!

As a PM I have contacted the local council to obtain owner's details on neighbouring properties on behalf of our landlords/owners. There is a form which must be completed and signed as this information comes under the privacy laws.

We are MORE than happy to organise letters, quotes and liaising with everyone (owners, neighbours, contractors and tenants). As most PM's have preferred contractors, better deals can usually be obtained and the quality of the work assured.

Hope this helps!

Thanks everyone - I guess I have become accustomed to having to chase up the PM on most things so assumed they would dodge this one too. Also wasn't sure to what degree they look after 'everything' to do with the property.

Will speak to them next week & see what response we get.

Thanks again

Cheers
Stella

Spoke to PM - they are happy to contact neighbours & start negotiations!

One less thing for me to do yay!

Cheers
Stella

Back