Why be an employer ?

The system is a joke, and the more 'protections' put in for the worker is only creating a greater dis-incentive to hire employees - you wonder why outsourcing is so prevalent.

And then if you are directing them in their duties you may still bear some responsibility ;)

Does it not strike people as odd that, apart from those who are self-employed or on holiday, you are 'stealing' from your boss by posting comments on Somersoft during work hours?

The system is a joke, and the more 'protections' put in for the worker is only creating a greater dis-incentive to hire employees - you wonder why outsourcing is so prevalent.

Hi Cjay, I'm one of the two people in Australia that believes that we have a reasonably balanced system for both employees and employers. There are areas in which employers have more advantages and areas in which employees have more advantages. It's never going to be perfectly fair and equal.

But that has nothing to do with the prevalence of contracting. Contracting or outsourcing is so popular and becoming increasingly so because it is much much cheaper for employers to contract out than it is to have an employee on staff.

I charge above average rates for the work I do (because I'm very good at what I do - you've seen my work, so you know I'm right ;)), but I'm not the most expensive out there, either. Even then, the most that someone would pay for my services, based on doing a large amount of work, is roughly 50% of what I would expect to be paid as an employee - and that doesn't include SG and all the myriad other costs of having an employee.

Does it not strike people as odd that, apart from those who are self-employed or on holiday, you are 'stealing' from your boss by posting comments on Somersoft during work hours?

Depends.

Would you rather a worker who has time to read the paper, or one who works through lunch?

pinkboy

So why haven't you chucked up your usual stink about smokers?
Most smokers takr a ten minute break every hour or two and walk around like it's a right that's 'stealing' too

So why haven't you chucked up your usual stink about smokers?
Most smokers takr a ten minute break every hour or two and walk around like it's a right that's 'stealing' too

Ouch, what??? Yes, smokers are stealing too. But right now that's not the issue. All the employees here complaining about employees are exactly what they're complaining about.

Perhaps the employees taking time out of their work day to play on Somersoft read the paper and take their lunches as well. We'll never know.

If I remember correctly, from previous threads/posts, SS's who are employees have justified their posting from work, by claiming they always work extra hard, when they are working :) ...paraphrasing , of course.

But I'm with you PG, I would consider it a form of stealing.

If I remember correctly, from previous threads/posts, SS's who are employees have justified their posting from work, by claiming they always work extra hard, when they are working :) ...paraphrasing , of course.

But I'm with you PG, I would consider it a form of stealing.

What about when employees do unpaid overtime? Is that stealing back? :p

You're absolutely right.
However, the individual needs to work hard the first 5-20 years of their working life, and then they can retire...and get paid for not 'working'.

The problem?
People are not willing to put in the work, to accomplish this.

That's terrible. I believe everyone should be allowed to get lots of money and goodies without working. I'm voting Greens next time.

I have been an employee and also a manager and as far as I was concerned, as long as the job was getting done they / I didn't care what happened in between.

I was pretty lucky with my last role as I had certain projects to work on and didn't have a set start / finish / break time so everything was pretty flexible. I had days where deadlines were tight and I worked 12 hr days without breaks and lunch at my desk if I even had the luxury of lunch but there were other days with not much on or other non work related things to do and I knocked off early. In the long run I think it all worked out evenly. I didn't feel like I was stealing from the company and I didn't feel like the company was stealing from me either when I went over my 8 hr work day.

As long as both parties (reasonable) needs are being met I don't see the harm in deviating from your Role Purpose Statement.

While there is work to be done, the employee should be doing it. If they have no work, I would expect them to ask for something to do. Then, if I have nothing to give them I, as the employer, should be managing better. It's not cost effective to employ someone and have no work for them to do.

Sounds like your staff either work very basic jobs (and will soon be replaced by Third World workers or machines), or you place more importance on doing work than achieving results.

Most places I've been at, the manager simply sets a task and a deadline, and tells us to scurry off to do it. What we do in between is irrelevant. As far as I've seen, that's always worked well.

The general idea property_girl is that worker A may be able to produce a greater result in 5 hours than Worker B at 8 hours. Worker A may instead work 7 hours, and spend 1 hour on internet etc, but still be more useful than worker B. However if you micromanaged worker A, their productivity may decrease to the point that their aggregated hourly productivity % per hour may decrease below the point that it would have been better for them to have the hour of down time.

This reminds me of a story. Back during the Great Depression there was a government bureaucrat who came onto a construction site to see how a government funded project was ticking along. He saw a number of men with shovels, however a number of them were standing leaning against their shovels.

He immediately goes over to the workers and chews them out for being lazy on the governments dollar, and should get to work immediately. The workers respond that they are indeed shoveling at their maximum, and that in reality you need to have rest times to get through the day. The bureaucrat disagrees, so they make an offer - Dig one of these ditches for just *twenty minutes* minutes continuous shoveling without stopping and we'll work the rest of the day without a single break.

The bureaucrat gave up after 10 minutes.

Worker A may instead work 7 hours, and spend 1 hour on internet etc... .

So he would be happy to let his boss see him on the internet for an hour while there was work to do? And you think any boss would be happy to see his employee surfing the net for an hour during work hours?

I can't think of any job I've had--both in the public and private sector--where I would dream of spending an hour on the internet while I had work to do. And I spent years working 15 hour a day for weeks at a time--starting work at 9.30 am and finishing at about 3 am, sometimes 4 or 5 am. I didn't have the time to spend one minute on the internet, let alone an hour.

Back