Why be an employer ?

We've done it both ways. Depends on the type of person we're looking for. The last one we got via a recruiter was a disaster, but that was nothing to do with the recruiter - the person fell apart afterwards.

Nope. Nothing like that. The frustration for me (and probably Dave) is that we advertise for a job, gets lots of dud responses (people overseas etc), we get down to a shortlist and get in touch with people and arrange for them to come in for a chat in a day or so and often they don't show. No call, no email, just a no show. It's odd.
I have advertised positions at my workshop through a very well known internet employment advertising site on two occasions, and through the local paper a few times as well.

The first experience with this mob, I was inundated with applications (via email) from O/S blokes - no doubt looking to get a job to fill their requirement for resident status or whatever it is they were after.

So, next time, I worded the ad to be "only Australian Residents may apply" - made no difference; still got the deluge of O/S dudes. :rolleyes:

Marc, the amount of times I have applied for jobs on Seek that say 'X qualification mandatory' and get a call back for an interview, even though I don't have said qualifications may be surprising (to some).

My philosophy is 'Let them make the decision. Don't make it for them.' If they don't want to follow up, that's fine, but I'm going to send my application in regardless.

GDxqs2c.jpg
It is funny, but it is also not funny; we now have a culture where many jobs will not be contemplated by the existing folks.

For eg; in the USA - almost never ever saw a "white person" working behind the counter/kitchen at Maccas...

Valet car park attendants - never white.

Never see white folks working out in the elements at the farms and fruit orchards, etc

And so on.

Why not?

It's happening here too...we're a few years behind the US though.

Marc, the amount of times I have applied for jobs on Seek that say 'X qualification mandatory' and get a call back for an interview, even though I don't have said qualifications may be surprising (to some).

My philosophy is 'Let them make the decision. Don't make it for them.' If they don't want to follow up, that's fine, but I'm going to send my application in regardless.
Yep, realise that and I don't care if they waste their time - just pointing out what I've experienced..

But the point I was also making is the lack of volume of home-grown applicants...considering the unemployment is on the increase, apparently.

we get down to a shortlist and get in touch with people and arrange for them to come in for a chat in a day or so and often they don't show. No call, no email, just a no show. It's odd.

Unfortunately that's how the Australia is these days in most aspects of life. Few people return calls, call to cancel, notify of changed plans etc - unless there is something in it for them. However it's never been easier, in most cases a short text of 'not coming, got another job' or whatever does the job.

eg
1. Recently cancelled a DR's appointment. Receptionist said thank you 'sooo' much for calling to cancel. When I questioned her emphasis on 'sooo', she said that most people don't call to cancel an appointment. This is a practice in a high income area - it's not like the clients are bogans who know no better.
2. I've been flogging off some unwanted crap on Gumtree. The amount of no shows is high, with very few notifying that they're not coming.
3. I've stopped leaving messages for my corporate clients - unless they want something immediately from me they don't return my call. I just keep trying till I get them. Different story from my suppliers - if I leave a message the call is returned within an hour.

Damn those rude young people!!

There is often too much unrealistic emphasis placed on qualifications by employers. As you have demonstrated if the supply/demand is not right their expectations are quickly adjusted.

There must be something in your application that says this guy can do the job even though he doesn't have a phd in the job.

Yep, realise that and I don't care if they waste their time - just pointing out what I've experienced..

But the point I was also making is the lack of volume of home-grown applicants...considering the unemployment is on the increase, apparently.

Centrelink benefits are too easy to get, too easy to keep, and too generous.

When this changes, job vacancies will be filled.

Probably correct.

Yet; everyone is crying about the 437 Visa brigade taking jobs.

I don't know the ins and outs of the 437 Visa scenario, but my guess is; we are shooting ourselves in the foot regards to work in Aus in various ways.

Everyone wants top dollar, top conditions and complete security and come-back while the Employer has next to none..

I don't mind the first two.

Last edited:

My daughter couldn't get at all before she went to study more- because, even though she was 20 and had been overseas for 18 months, she was a "dependant", and our assets were apparently enough so that she could not get benefits- and certainly no study assistance.

The money in itself was not a big thing- but it did mean that she was not eligible for any help in getting jobs, as she would have if she had been on benefits.

The same applied to me when I was unemployed.

Geoff, a few years ago your daughter would have been eligible to receive the youth allowance (I think it was). Once someone had been in fulltime work for 12 months they could access the allowance. The government changed the rules so that now it is means tested.

It was a combination. She had been travelling for 18 months so therefore had not been employment for 12 months continuously.

But, as mentioned, my problem with the system is not so much the money (although it was rather unfair on her), but more a matter that employment assistance is not available to her- or to me- as I have been responsible enough to invest and provide for the future rather than to spend it all.

My daughter couldn't get at all before she went to study more- because, even though she was 20 and had been overseas for 18 months, she was a "dependant", and our assets were apparently enough so that she could not get benefits- and certainly no study assistance.

The money in itself was not a big thing- but it did mean that she was not eligible for any help in getting jobs, as she would have if she had been on benefits.

The same applied to me when I was unemployed.

I don't know the specifics, as I was speaking in general terms.

Concerning you...because you sold your business at a profit, and your spouse has income, Centrelink must assume you don't require help finding another job.

There are lots of sites advertising jobs, that don't require government intervention.

I wante advice on how to get back into IT after eight years away. I could have picked up a job in hospitality very easily- but I wanted to work in an area I actually enjoyed once again.

While it's not the gub's job to find something for somebody in my position, I would have appreciated being able to get some advice from somebody on what to do to get back into the profession I loved. I could find none anywhere. There's nothin in it for anybody to do so. They want young people with recent experience.

Similar things apply for my daughter- it wasn't her fault that we had provided well for ourselves- yet she was penalised by not being able to get guidance. She would have had lots of guidance if she had been on benefits. As it happened she fell into a profession which she absolutely loves.

It was a combination. She had been travelling for 18 months so therefore had not been employment for 12 months continuously.

But, as mentioned, my problem with the system is not so much the money (although it was rather unfair on her), but more a matter that employment assistance is not available to her- or to me- as I have been responsible enough to invest and provide for the future rather than to spend it all.

Same here, but I suppose the other side is this: should people be punished for being stupid with their money? My parents came here with nothing and have never received one cent from the government. Now I am in the same position, as are my daughters. We're not eligible for anything. But don't think that people on government benefits have it that easy--it's not as though they can live in the lap of luxury with handouts.

Back