Why didnt Peter Spann recommend Cash?

Peter Spann supporter

Hi all,

Firstly, I'm not a Peter Spann advocate/follower, in fact we have had one or two disagreements about investments to say the least.:rolleyes:

Now, I find that I'm going to defend him again!!:eek::eek:

Realistically CRC, what makes you think Peters take of the future is better than yours or mine?? The future is a guess, nothing more than adding up the probabilities and laying your bets. And yes, sometimes the lower odds events happen.

You can no more blame Peter for his recommendations than you can Warren Buffet for putting money into airlines many years ago.

Decisions are yours. If you want to believe someone else, more fool you.

Despite all the meltdowns going on, FXI has performed very well in the last 3 months, going from 55-60 cents up to ~75 cents.

bye

I think you are a Peter Spann supporter.

What you have failed to say about the perfomance of FXI is that its share price is being supported by the company buying its own shares back. Why is that?

Why dont you also comment that Peter Spann is not using any of his own money to buy FXI shares? Why is that if they are such a great bargain?

Why dont you comment on the extent of the losses of FXI?

Why dont you also comment that Peter Spann is not using any of his own money to buy FXI shares? Why is that if they are such a great bargain?

Why dont you comment on the extent of the losses of FXI?

I think Peter once commented on this saying he isn't allowed to buy FXI shares as a director.. not sure how that works... since directors always buy their own shares..

I'm just wondering if anyone has been to Peter Spanns seminars in the last 12 months? If so why hasn't he recommended cash and fixed interest as the best investment going forward during this time?

It's been discussed and argued before about cash as an investment. I don't think it is - it's a holding bay for your money until you can find an investment that will earn you a decent return. Even at 8% interest, a Bank account is still not a good nett return when you analyse the figures.

If I had sold up every one of my properties last year and put all the proceeds after the taxes and sales costs were paid into cash, I'd have dropped a round $100k immediately.

Then, if I sit in cash for another 12 months and buy back into property again (and I'm assuming property would have gone down) I then have all the purchase costs to fork out, plus pay tax on the interest I've earned in the Bank, plus the loss of capital due to inflation. Let's call it another $50k.

So I've dropped around $150k by being smart and bailing out into cash.

Jump forward to today - in reality none of my properties have dropped in value to this date, based on the latest Bank vals. They have ALL gone up in the last 12 months, so where is being in cash the "best investment going forward"?

If you are talking from a purely sharemarket investing standpoint, then I'd possibly agree.

You can see FXI performance has been less than impressive... certainly a index fund outperformed FXI since its been trading.. but that didn't stop Peter Spann collect various fee's directly, and via a host of his companies.

Attachments

• FXI.jpg
    FXI.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 61
I think Peter once commented on this saying he isn't allowed to buy FXI shares as a director.. not sure how that works... since directors always buy their own shares..

Thats just rubbish.

The only time directors are not allowed to buy a companys shares is when they have knowledge of information not generally known to the public.

The only way you can effectively align the interest of directors with those of the shareholders, is that directors need to have a significant holding of shares in the company that they have purchased with their own money.

To quote Warren Buffett "we eat our own cooking"

Bayview.. Fixed Interest and Bonds are investments.. and during the 'cash cycle' will provide you with best returns until the market moves back to the 'shares cycle'.

If your invested via managed investments, you can easily re-allocate your money to fixed interest until the cycle moves on..

Bayview.. Fixed Interest and Bonds are investments.. and during the 'cash cycle' will provide you with best returns until the market moves back to the 'shares cycle'.

If your invested via managed investments, you can easily re-allocate your money to fixed interest until the cycle moves on..

Not in my experience with property.

If you are going to generalise, then you may be correct.

But as we know, property is a case by case, suburb by suburb, State by State situation.

If you think cash is an investment, put $1,000 into an ING account (and I do have one) for 12 months at the current interest rate, and see what your nett return after tax is after that 12 months.

$1,000 @ 8% = $80 gross. $1,080 total.

30% tax on the $80 profit = $56 nett profit after tax. $1,056 nett total.

3% inflation on the capital = $30 $1,026 nett total after tax and inflation.

Nett return of 2.6% after tax. I guess it is an investment after all based on that.

It's certainly better than super in the current financial year.

But then again; I also don't regard super as an investment either. It's just an annoying savings account that we are obliged to have.

Bayview.. There are far more investment options out there outside 'property'. Property is not a be all end all investment, infact you will find property will struggle over the next few years as people loose their jobs, and bank finance drys up. We all know property is overvalued, and people are streatched to buy it, property is a pyramid scheme which rely's on people constantly coming in at the bottom pushing up prices. Once the supply of people dries up, then property will fall in value. Look at what happened in the US? Each state has recorded property value falls over the last 12 months.

Cash has proven to be king, paying as high as 8.5%PA until recently, and your capital was preserved. Not so with shares, and property.

And if you only judge a investment according to its tax benefits, then your investing for the wrong reasons. You can buy a great cash business, great cash flow, but high tax paid on its profits... cash in your pocket is better than having complex cash draining investments like property.

Ethan, how does 'index fund propaganda' not complement your main message?

Actually my name is "Ethann".

The Random Walk book presents a lot of good information and makes a strong case for indexing by identifying just how difficult and rare it is to beat the indexes consistently over a reasonable period of time.

But you need to temper this with the fact that Burton Malkiel is behind Index fund company Vanguard. Therefore he has a vested interested in promoting Index funds. So while I feel that much of the information is valuable you need to temper this against the vested interests and personal biases of the author - this is the "index fund propaganda" that I was referring to.

EC

In recent years, Peter has advocated investing in captial protected products and into hedged products. I believe the strategy was correct - unfortunately the products put forward by F/Fox have not performed as well as might have been expected. I have invested in other funds (with similar mandates) which have performed quite well.

We would also not have the current gold bullion holding we do now, if it wasn't for Peter's comments in one of the seminars.

Cheers,

The Y-man

crc,

You're the one that ponces around the forums acting like you know what you're talking about. If you know so much, why didn't you move into cash when you thought it was the right time? Why are you getting upset at Peter Spann? Or did you just blindly follow whatever he said like it was gospel, like so many other people seem to have done?

Mark

I'm not following, where do I ponce around acting like I know what I'm taking about?

Since your in the Top 20, it would seem you have far more to say than I do..

And no, I sold up in march and purchased a property. I have very little in the market today.

The last advice I took from Peter was when he recommended his capital protected macquarie magic, which I got out of 12 months ago.. I never got into his other 'recommendations'.

And no, I sold up in march and purchased a property. I have very little in the market today.

The last advice I took from Peter was when he recommended his capital protected macquarie magic, which I got out of 12 months ago.. I never got into his other 'recommendations'.

So what was the point of this thread exactly?

Also, I've been here since around 2002.

Mark

The point of this thread is I want to know why Peter Spann, and other so called 'experts' otherwise known as financial planners, were pushing share market based investments middle to late last year. Infact around Oct last year I went to Peters 'wealth update' and he was telling everyone how the market was great, and that no end was in site for the bull run? That we had another couple good years to go...

Yet in reality he should have seen the signs that the market was over heating, and sooner or later was bound to crash. Rather than flogging high fee products, he should have suggested that since things were to good for to long, people should take profits and reduce their share market exposure, rather than trying to flog more product.

Essentually I see Peter as a used car salesman. He armor alls these nice 'managed investements' laden with fee's, gives people a false sence of security by saying things like the market has years to run, and he also makes out like he picks top sectors to invest in. But really he is selling a rusted car, with bog in it, heaps of mechnical problems which will come out and bite you down the track with repair expenses(fee's).

His 'advise' is only designed to sell... not for the benefit of 'investors'.

But if someone can explain to me why he made those recommendations, I'm happy to listen.

Responses in RED, CRC.

Bayview.. There are far more investment options out there outside 'property'. I know that, but many people keep advocating cash RIGHT NOW. I'm saying it's not the best option. It's the safest option for sure, but if you know what you are doing, an investor can make money in any market. For the unsophisticated investors, then cash is probably the best thing for them to do. You are right though, I do push property, because I've done well, and continue to do well with it, despite the recent climate, and this is a property investing forum.

Property is not a be all end all investment, infact you will find property will struggle over the next few years as people loose their jobs, and bank finance drys up. Again; you're generalising. If you read my post, I did say on a deal to deal basis. To group all property in the D&G basket is not a very sophisticated mindset. Having said that, I would not be buying a neg geared property with an LVR over 80% in the next 12 months, and it would need to be pos cashflowed, unless you are a very high income earner who wants to minimise some tax. A dumb mindset in my opinion.

We all know property is overvalued, and people are streatched to buy it, property is a pyramid scheme which rely's on people constantly coming in at the bottom pushing up prices. Not all property is bought by FHB's. Many are trade-ups by well-off middle aged people, many are trade downs by retirees. These buyers are less price sensitive. You're generalising again.

Once the supply of people dries up, then property will fall in value. In some areas, this is true. Some areas are losing population, hence less demand, prices drop. Other areas are increasing in population, so demand is constant unless credit is cut off. This will limit activity for sure.

Look at what happened in the US? Each state has recorded property value falls over the last 12 months. Not entirely true. When I was in L.A during the last 3 years, there were areas like Watts which were scuzzville, which were being bought out by cashed-up Mexican labourers. This suburb was booming while many parts of L.A were going backwards. Again; look at the deal by deal basis. A standard 3 x 2 house in an average suburb, in the bottom third of the price range, in a good location will pretty much never drop in value because this is the pricepoint that most people can afford to buy and/or rent.

Cash has proven to be king, paying as high as 8.5%PA until recently, and your capital was preserved. Not so with shares, and property. I guess my $1,000 example is capital being preserved. In my case, my returns over the last 12 months were much better than this, and I didn't buy anything. All rents went up more than 15%, and the cap growth was more than 5% - in some cases more than 10%.

And if you only judge a investment according to its tax benefits, then your investing for the wrong reasons. I didn't mention tax benefits, but now that YOU have, it's another factor into the scenario that makes property better than cash, all day long.

You can buy a great cash business, great cash flow, but high tax paid on its profits... cash in your pocket is better than having complex cash draining investments like property. Having owned a business for most of my working life, and just bought another one, I can tell you that running a business is the best tax effective investment there is. Maybe not the safest investment there is of course.
Also, you say property is cash draining. This is the mindset of a neg cashflow investor - which I'm not.
It is quite possible to purchase property that is pos cashflow after tax from day one.

But you need to temper this with the fact that Burton Malkiel is behind Index fund company Vanguard. Therefore he has a vested interested in promoting Index funds. So while I feel that much of the information is valuable you need to temper this against the vested interests and personal biases of the author - this is the "index fund propaganda" that I was referring to.

EC
I agree with this.

Back