Why do landlords have to pay water consumption?

Us landlords pay the tenants there water consumption but not there electricity.
Why is this?? They are using the water for there own needs the same as they use electricity for themselves.

People on here probably have properties that are water compliant so pass on the costs to the tenants. Tenants are normally only aware that they have to pay electricity so I would be interested to hear what they have to say when they are told they do have to pay the water usage.

Is it the full amount passed on or only some of the costs for the water usage?

I dont have any energy saving globes or bulbs in my properties but there is no complaints about this from tenants

If the the tenants want to have 30 minute showers and leave the taps running while they brush there teeth and wash there poodle daily they should pay for the water. I just dont understand why they pay for the electricity and why not the water. Just my whinge for the arvo.

Short answer: Because it is. :p

Longer answer: Don't really know! :eek: But until the Kirner government, in Victoria landlords had to pay all water costs. One good thing the Labour Kirner govt did was to introduce a "user pays" system - in Vic, water IS treated the same as electricity. The tenant needs to connect/disconnect, and gets sent the usage bill. Caveat: For a multi-dwelling property (eg, units) they MUST be separately metered. No split billing, etc.

If your properties are in Brisbane as your location suggests, then the tenants can pay for water consumption. I've paid it as a tenant before, and we were told that we were responsible for the cost as we signed the lease, on which it was stipulated. The owner can do this in QLD if the property has water saving taps & showerheads etc.

Only some of the cost is passed on- you as the landlord still have to pay the service charges for sewer etc, and the tenant can then pay for the kilolitres of water used. Usually the service charge makes up the bulk of the water bill.

There have been a few threads on this recently- a quick search should find them!

One good thing the Labour Kirner govt did was to introduce a "user pays" system - in Vic, water IS treated the same as electricity. The tenant needs to connect/disconnect, and gets sent the usage bill. Caveat: For a multi-dwelling property (eg, units) they MUST be separately metered. No split billing, etc.

I assume all houses have a meter. If the property is a multi-dwelling eg. units or flats do you have a meter in the property? If not, bad luck your up for the usage costs. Fairly simple i believe.

Hi Hysteria

You can charge 'water usage' in Qld. Have a look at:
http://www.horizonhousing.com.au/files/pdf/RTA_Water_Charging_Fact_Sheet.pdf

We have been charging 'water usage' to our tenants here in NSW for years. We just send the Water Bill to our property manager and they charge the 'usage' to the tenants. None of our tenants have ever had a problem with this.

Sure we had to pay a couple of hundred dollars last year to a plumber to get the new water efficiency certificate but that's just a once only bill and it allowed us to continue to charge 'water usage' to the tenant.

Cheers, Paul

I assume all houses have a meter. If the property is a multi-dwelling eg. units or flats do you have a meter in the property? If not, bad luck your up for the usage costs. Fairly simple i believe.

My first IP was a block of 4 units. There was 1 meter for the whole property, so I could not oncharge any usage at all. When I ended up having a leak somewhere, I got the plumber to add new meters during that work; paid itself back in about 18 months, from memory.

I'm about to rent out my property privately (in NSW) and I want the tenant to pay for the water. Do I need to stipulate this separately by adding a cause on signing of the tenancy agreement?

People on here probably have properties that are water compliant so pass on the costs to the tenants. Tenants are normally only aware that they have to pay electricity so I would be interested to hear what they have to say when they are told they do have to pay the water usage.

It is noted in the Tenancy agreement, so is nothing that is sprung onto tenants. The REIQ Form 18a (General Tenancy Agreement) and its associated Standard Terms identify this.

I just dont understand why they pay for the electricity and why not the water. Just my whinge for the arvo.

I think eventually, it will fall in line with the English legislation, and the tenants will be responsible for paying the elec, water, and all the council rates while residing in the property. (rubbish bins, etc) Our requirement is to ensure a safe and habitable place and that is it. If for instance that a property is untenanted for a short period of time, then the council rates component falls back to the landlord until such time where your PM finds another tenant.

This helps with keeping mine CF+ over there.

F

Back