Why do people hate/dislike Docklands ??

ive only checked out a few apartments in winter, and it was too cold to notice the wind on balconies, is it windy all year around and all day and night???

I am currently driving all over Victoria looking at all the places mentioned in IP articles. On Saturday afternoon I was just about blown off the wharf at Docklands. Hated the place. Got onto the next tram back into town.

Not that I would remotely consider it as an investment, just wanted to see what all the fuss was about.;)

Too many investors

If you look at ABS stats it shows you that more than 3/4 of the people who live in the docklands are tenants - meaning the properties are owned by investors.

In the property market capital growth is driven largely by home buyers - investor will make purely financial decisions (or should). homebuyers on the other hand make emotional decisions.

With a lack of home buyer demand capital growth will be weak. (Same for student accom, defence force housing and serviced apartments which are 100% investor owned) Further there is already a lot of property in the docklands but here is the kicker - it is only about 50% complete. There is a lot more sites yet to be developed. This means once the current supply is soaked up more portents will be built. It may well take a generation or 2 for this cycle to be completed.

To add to the mix a very low land to asset ratio the economic indicators just do not stack up for investors. (unless you are the developer)

agree with all the above

however low land to asset ratio - if you gonna buy in the CBD or areas like that, it doesn't really apply - you gotto compare apples with apples. land in berwick as oppose to apartment in the CBD are 2 different types of assets and have different appeal, risk factor, yields and return. You can make a return even larger than what you hope to achieve in outer suburbs but it would be reliant on very microeconomic factors and inner city knowledge.

Back