Why do some agents refuse to advertise addresses

I had an agent call me back recently while I was at work. I asked him to respond to my email. He said, he doesn't go around responding to emails. I said, good luck with your sale. Months later that property still hasn't sold yet. Stubborn agent or vendor or both.

I had a similar issue when searching for a property. i had an agent that refused to answer any of my questions via email. I tried to book a viewing and requested the address so I could find it but he wanted my mobile to "see if I was an appropriate buyer". I explained I was having issues (going straight to voicemail- which was real) and i didnt have a house phone so email was preferred.

He replied with another request for a contact number so we could discuss the property and he could "ensure i understood the homebuying procedure completely because 97% dont" before he would even give me the street address?!

On principle we decided to forgo the viewing. We had already figured out the complex it was in and pics were ok but if it is that difficult to get an address and organise a viewing with such a condescending smartass agent we didnt want to think about trying to negotiate a price with him! Ugh!

They think it will help their business. Simple answer.

Plenty of evidence that it doesn't but that doesn't stop the practice continuing. No address, no price, no idea.

I had a similar issue when searching for a property. i had an agent that refused to answer any of my questions via email. I tried to book a viewing and requested the address so I could find it but he wanted my mobile to "see if I was an appropriate buyer". I explained I was having issues (going straight to voicemail- which was real) and i didnt have a house phone so email was preferred.

He replied with another request for a contact number so we could discuss the property and he could "ensure i understood the homebuying procedure completely because 97% dont" before he would even give me the street address?!

On principle we decided to forgo the viewing. We had already figured out the complex it was in and pics were ok but if it is that difficult to get an address and organise a viewing with such a condescending smartass agent we didnt want to think about trying to negotiate a price with him! Ugh!

Doesn't come across as smartass for me. I would have done the same thing if you couldn't be bothered providing any contact phone numbers or making a call.

The agents job is to qualify buyers. Otherwise you end up like this http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76167

I will never use email to enquiry about a property. Pick up the phone and try and build a relationship with the agents. Yes I know it's old fashioned but you'll often be kept up to date with the latest listings or price adjustments.

Your email enquiry makes you look like a time waster, don't know what you're doing, lacking confidence or someone that's just going to lowball.

If the agent refuses to answer via email (and I've also had this happen to me) then WHY OH WHY do they bother to have the link in the advert.

I've also had replies via email, or they have called me.

They may think it is because I'm a tyre kicker or a time waster, but for me, I can quickly send off five emails. Five phone calls are not so quick.

Sometimes I simply want to know something that has been left off the advert.

They can't bother to answer an email that THEY have encouraged by having the link in their advert, so I cannot be bothered to follow up (unless I am desperate to know the answer).

When I was looking for our son's unit, there might have been five units that I was keen on finding out something about. I'll email five agents. If five houses are pretty much of similar interest to me, I'll stick with the agent who calls me back, or gives me the simple answer to the simple question I've asked.

Doesn't come across as smartass for me. I would have done the same thing if you couldn't be bothered providing any contact phone numbers or making a call.

The agents job is to qualify buyers. Otherwise you end up like this http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76167

I will never use email to enquiry about a property. Pick up the phone and try and build a relationship with the agents. Yes I know it's old fashioned but you'll often be kept up to date with the latest listings or price adjustments.

Your email enquiry makes you look like a time waster, don't know what you're doing, lacking confidence or someone that's just going to lowball.

Then you get people like me who work offshore and main communication method for weeks on end is via email.

I don't see myself as any of these "a time waster, don't know what you're doing, lacking confidence or someone that's just going to lowball"

The majority of my work is done via Email or text messaging without ever needing to speak over the phone - that's the way of the world nowadays.

These real estate agencies who don't supply the basic details just annoy the hell out of me. Why make the process so difficult when it doesn't have to be?

The most basic requirements for advertising should be:
Price, address, photo's and details of the property.

If these things are there, then you probably don't need to contact anyone until after you've done a drive-by and have some interest in the property.

The only ones time-wasting are the agencies who don't include these things.

Just give me the facts, I'll fill in my own bull#@#@! :rolleyes:

Oneupmanship, this is the agent's ploy. If you only put up enough info to drive enquiry to the office, then it is more successful than an advert which gives you all of the information you want so you either inspect or discount without getting off your backside.

I see your nick is quite appropriate.

These real estate agencies who don't supply the basic details just annoy the hell out of me.

Fortunately, that is not their concern.

Why make the process so difficult when it doesn't have to be?

Obviously for them to keep control of the sales process. Have you never negotiated before ??

The most basic requirements for advertising should be:
Price, address, photo's and details of the property.

Good luck with !!! I haven't been handed that lot on a platter for over 15 years now.

What other due diligence, other than this 'basic' stuff do you want your contractual opponent to do for you ??

How lazy are you in the DD process ??

If these things are there, then you probably don't need to contact anyone....

There you go, you've answered your own question.

The only ones time-wasting are the agencies who don't include these things.

I think that's in your opinion only. If you think the Vendor and/or their appointed agent are going to flog some cherished property that's been in the family for 60 years out to some nobody surfing the interent and hand them control of the process....well, you're dreaming mate.

Just give me the facts, I'll fill in my own bull#@#@! :rolleyes:

....but it is not there job to "give you" the facts. That's your job to find out for yourself.

I see from your time of posting, and the consequent rubbish that you've posted, that maybe you've had far too much new year cheer and have really lost your way.:rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

WOW!! You've GOT to be kidding???

All the best to you (sincerely), and hope that path your on, somehow works out for you.

i can understand why they dont
its so anyone half interested has to contact them, then they know that your interested so they know the interest of the property
and the more questions you ask them the more they know about you

as said though why they cant list the price photo and address im sure if you were interest you would still contact them after knowing that and would probably lower there work not having to answer 200 phone calls about the address of a property and you would be more interested buyer as you know the very basics and still want to have a look

also id rather email or text
i work all day, i cant hear my phone going off and my employer wouldnt like it if your on the phone all day
i can get home send and receive emails in my convenience

its also rather silly as alot of people are stubborn and like a few have said on there they dont bother pursuing it thats the loss of interest of a buy rite there...

i can understand why they dont
its so anyone half interested has to contact them, then they know that your interested so they know the interest of the property and the more questions you ask them the more they know about you

Save that with Haydens, Ballarat (a Jenman agent), they don't put the address on Domain but do on their own website, so you can find it out with contacting them. But you might not go to the bother of taking this extra step.

I see from your time of posting, and the consequent rubbish that you've posted, that maybe you've had far too much new year cheer and have really lost your way.:rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

All the best to you (sincerely), and hope that path your on, somehow works out for you.

Oneup, steady on mate, some assumptions here that are not necessarily accurate, if someone posts at a 'seemingly' unusual time, it can just mean they are in not only a different state, but also a different country..

Also, the person you are referring to has had/is having some successful results from their investing, and has been quite an inspiration to many of us relatively newer investors...I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss sound, possibly valid comments that many of us could utilise.

Also, I have known a small number of folks (sellers, using an agency), that specifically direct their address not be listed, one was a guy who commuted for work, his partner and he had had triplets, they were just finding their legs before shifting for his work promotion, and had hoped to bypass potential tyre kickers, and avoid the potential of people just 'dropping in' -so they were kinda seeking some control about it, (even though the agent had reccommended a different approach)..also, (not sure how accurate this is), some people don't want addresses listed for fear their (unoccupied) property might be targetted for theft/breakins..

Just a consideration.

Sorry you feel like that. Was just trying to point out that the major player in the transaction is the Seller, not the Buyer.

As for your other assumptions, had no alcohol last night, and being in WA, the time posted on the forum bears no reflections on what time it was here when posted.

Thanks for your wishes though. However, I'm not on a path. I came to the end of my path over 3 years ago now.....the path worked out beautifully, applying the logic that I wrote to you. No, I wasn't kidding.

Cheerio for now.

Sorry you feel like that. Was just trying to point out that the major player in the transaction is the Seller, not the Buyer.

As for your other assumptions, had no alcohol last night, and being in WA, the time posted on the forum bears no reflections on what time it was here when posted.

Thanks for your wishes though. However, I'm not on a path. I came to the end of my path over 3 years ago now.....the path worked out beautifully, applying the logic that I wrote to you. No, I wasn't kidding.

Cheerio for now.

I'm confused Dazz, most of use are looking at shitty crappy resi proerties, and nearly every interent ad I see for them has address, price & pictures but you say it's been years since that's been presented to you on a platter ? surely you've seen all the adverts ? I think it is quite normal like most people on this thread have expressed.

What are you trying to say / suggest that I missed ?

I'm saying that it's been a very long time since a Vendor had a property that I was interested in buying that actually came with a price tag attached. Obviously that tactic limits the upside for the Vendor.....which is bad for them and good for the Buyer. They aren't so stupid as to handicap themselves like that.

After all of my due dilgence is completed, and I'm still interested enough to enquire as to what would be acceptable to the Vendor, the answer is always "as much as you've got, and then quite a bit more".

I agree, what most people here look at differs somewhat from what I am interested in.....and hence the "norms" of the transactions differ somewhat also.

There are agents out there who either advertise price but no address or address but no price to get the buyer to call.

I do not recommend this, buyers need to know where they stand on price and where to visit for an open for inspection.

I listed a property yesterday off an agent who had no price on the property for 2 months. They wondered why no one was attending the open for inspections.
"maybe the buyers dont know where it is"

Conversely we are car shopping.

You fill out that little contact form on the website when you see something you like (with the price right there, didn't see ANY listed with no price). Immediately you are contacted 10 ways from Sunday about the car literally within 30 seconds of pressing the contact form submit button, they tell you everything you ever wanted to know (already in the ad) and make absolutely certain you know where the dealership is, they make an appointment to be sure the car is all ready to go ...

Imagine if used car salespeople started selling used houses!

Back