Why doesn't the promoter buy it?

http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0,10166,21227424-462,00.html?from=public_rss

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21223306-25658,00.html

I'm not specifically commenting on this group since I know nothing about, but just wanted to discuss the question 'if the investment is so good, why isn't the promoter buying it?'

You can extend this to any agent, lawyer, etc who advises you on property.

The answer includes: the introducer (I use the term very loosely with none of the legal implications):
1) Does not have the means to do the deal
2) Doesn't want to take the risk, preferring to take a known fee instead of a more risky, but potentially higher, future return (as those of us who have held property for the last few years can attest)

Just because someone is good at something doesn't mean they will do it themselves. Some traders might be brilliant at making money for their firm but are idiots when it comes to their own investments. Knowledgeable property agents may not have IPs, perhaps because they fear debt.

In the example outlined by the articles, there IS risk, even though it may not be mentioned. If interest rates rise, or there is a recession, then prices WILL fall further in Sydney's West. And buying in the cheapest areas MAY be an issue in terms of finding good tenants. All these are things to think about when considering the investment and analysing it against the price you pay and the value you get.

It also doesn't mean you will lose money if you hold for the long term. You can protect yourself by putting in undrawn LOCs (if you create extra equity with the renos), fixing your interest rate, etc. Neither the risk nor the ways to lesses those risks are discussed in the articles.

There is ALWAYS risk in investing. Risks are actually the highest when people start thinking there is no risk. 'Why doesn't the promoter buy it himself?' isn't necessarily a show-stopper, it just means it's NOT a riskless investment and you have to do your homework.

There ARE cons out there who want to sell you inflated investments. However, it doesn't necessarily follow that ALL such marketing companies, agents, etc are cons.

Something to consider for those who worry about 'what if I buy a crap property' and aren't pulling the trigger.
Alex

i know when i was packaging up real estate investments in a sales role a couple of years back - specifically karratha properties and house and land along the mandurah coastline - I knew they were a garuanteed money spinner. I was personally doing all that my finances allowed, but there are limits as we are all just mortal. sales ethics and rules prevent you from saying things like 'i am certain this will make you $100k' and you can push people as much as you like and they still um and ah. it has taken me a while to realise that not all sales people just want to rip you off, but can actually be a part of your investment team if you build a symbiotic relationship.

in summary, being too suspicious can cost you dearly. And the karratha and mandurah investors have cleaned up very very nicely. In hindsight i regret not being able to have taken more on myself

I saw this guy on TV one evening.

The comment that "Nobody works out here so there's nothing else to do except breed and rent houses," is not true for Sydney's west but could be
applicable in some housing commision suburbs.

Assuming that these so called bargains are in the housing commision
parts of Mt druit, Doonside, macquarie fields etc. then they won't be attracting the tenant many investors would be looking for.

The fix and sell approach is therefore a better option for the company promoting such properties.

Cheers.

"The fix and sell approach is therefore a better option for the company promoting such properties."

sell up and move on is often the best approach IMO !!

in summary, being too suspicious can cost you dearly. And the karratha and mandurah investors have cleaned up very very nicely. In hindsight i regret not being able to have taken more on myself

Why didn't you hold a gun to my head back then to buy them Karratha properties? .... :)

being too suspicious can cost you dearly.

Very true, One day I picked up a bargain only because I wasn't suspicious.
I bought the place sight unseen, I just drove past the ppty and looked at some photos on the PC.
I went to my solicitor the same day signed the contract and came back with
my cheque for 10%.
We exchanged contracts in just a few hours with no cooling off.
It was a mortgagee sale and they told me that whoever gets their contract
in first gets it.

Who said we can't trust the seller? :)

cheers

BV

How did the figures stack up? Was it a good bargain?
Geoff, I paid about 27% less than asking prices in the area.
Looking at comparable sales it was about 20% less than the exchange price of others.
The lender's valuation verified it too.
It also got it with new carpet and freshly painted.
I haven't got any regrets. :D
cheers

BV, what does one do about making it subject to a building inspection? Or is that part of the risk in moving so quick? (not questioning your technique but genuinely want to learn)

Congrats on the bargain

BV, what does one do about making it subject to a building inspection? Or is that part of the risk in moving so quick? (not questioning your technique but genuinely want to learn)

Congrats on the bargain

Actually they were happy to let me see the property
but I couldn't schedule it quickly enough.
A Clause such as subject to finance, valuation, inspection etc
would have made my signed contract unacceptable as the vendor wouldn't sign it.
They wanted to secure the sale unconditionaly.
I did know the building though and I read through a 6 month old
building report so I felt that was enough.
I am not that experienced with mortgagee sales
I guess some mortgagees would not be in a hurry but some just want to get it over and move on.
As long as they get their money back they wouldn't care about the poor guy
who lost his deposit and the house...
Cheers

Back