Why DON'T tenants pay water rates?

I was very pleased when I was a tenant that we didn't have to pay certain bills, like water rates, council rates and strata fees, but...why DON'T tenants have to pay these?? Especially water rates.

Also, going further in that direction, why don't tenants pay council rates and strata fees too?

some do.....quite a few Tenants pay all of these, and more....just not yours.

Are you sure about this? In Brisbane our rates are on one bill from BCC, and the water and sewerage comes in a quarterly account from Urban Utilities. This comprises water access charge and sewerage access charge plus state bulk water price, local government distributor-Retail price which comprises water usage and fixed access charges.

Everything else is on the rates bill.

Different councils do it differently. My rentals aren't in BCC.

So basically who pays water is completely consistent across all state, councils, types of property and types of lease ... got it :D

Water is so cheap anyway, its barely worth it. They bleat on about saving water all the time but you could halve your usage and save $10 a quarter, so what's the point? The bit of the bill that actually costs money has everything to do with your property value and nothing to do with how much water you actually use. Now THAT is dumb.

The water company thinks our house is worth $45k so we pay minimum and we don't pay council rates at all, we're going to enjoy that for as long as we can get away with it before our house gets noticed by the valuer general and someone tells the council it exists. Good trick that, building a house at the start of the financial year ;)

She's there doing an inspection anyhow - so what's a quick glance at the meter out the front?

Well going by our recent experience when we read a meter a quick glance might be a bit optimistic. First we had to find it and that took quite a search but eventually we did, under a couple of inches of soil and bark in a garden bed. Then we had to dig it out, prize the top off (it was glued stuck with dried mud) and then dig out more dried mud from inside so we could get at the little turning wheel thingees that give the reading. And this place was well above last years flood line. Kind of made us wonder just how long it has been since it was 'really' read.

Different councils do it differently. My rentals aren't in BCC.

Ahh. OK. Before we were allowed to pass on full usage to the tenant, we had the option of passing on "excessive" usage to them. We didn't ever bother because the actual "water usage" part of the account is always the smallest figure, and to only be entitled to that which is "excessive" just wasn't worth the trouble of getting it back.

Yes, is is all very rhetorical however it doesn't negate the fact that it is very unfair situation. It would appear that the government does it's best to penalise you every time you try to accumulate wealth to prevent your dependency on the government. :mad:
As soon as landlords outnumber tenants, look out!!
A.

the government does it's best to penalise you every time you try to accumulate wealth to prevent your dependency on the government....

......such that they may distribute those funds to the people who have made absolutely no attempt to wean themselves off Govt dependency.

Those people vote as well, so don't wish for it to change, cos it never will.

......such that they may distribute those funds to the people who have made absolutely no attempt to wean themselves off Govt dependency.

Those people vote as well, so don't wish for it to change, cos it never will.

But we're aall big enough ,old enough and self proclaimed intelligent enough to already know this is thow it works. and haas always been in our lives....right ? So just repeating it blandly over & over (and over & over) serves the purpose of........ ????????????

Life its what it is....... :rolleyes:

Yes, is is all very rhetorical however it doesn't negate the fact that it is very unfair situation. It would appear that the government does it's best to penalise you every time you try to accumulate wealth to prevent your dependency on the government. :mad:
A.

What wil lhappen ?

Wouldn't that mean there are more suppliers than customers ?

When this is tha case waht happens to prices and therfore profit ?

But we're aall big enough ,old enough and self proclaimed intelligent enough to already know this is thow it works. and haas always been in our lives....right ?

No, that's not right.

So just repeating it blandly over & over (and over & over) serves the purpose of........ ????????????

I said it once...and am entitled to.

If I wish to repeat it over and over, then I will.

What purpose - if nothing else, to upset you.

Life its what it is....... :rolleyes:

Even though you've ****** it up, no, I don't subscribe to that mindless acceptance attitude. tata. :)

No, that's not right.

I said it once...and am entitled to.

If I wish to repeat it over and over, then I will.

What purpose - if nothing else, to upset you.

Even though you've ****** it up, no, I don't subscribe to that mindless acceptance attitude. tata. :)

I know you have the right to repeat yourself ad nauseaum. I'm asking why self proclaimed more intelligent than the masses people choose to do so whilst at the same pointing the finger at others doing the same thing.. and then proclaim that they are better ??

What the "****** " does your last sentence mean ? :confused:

A.

Yeah because negative gearing doesn't exist :rolleyes:

Ahh. OK. Before we were allowed to pass on full usage to the tenant, we had the option of passing on "excessive" usage to them. We didn't ever bother because the actual "water usage" part of the account is always the smallest figure, and to only be entitled to that which is "excessive" just wasn't worth the trouble of getting it back.

Sometimes the water usage can be a decent amount. Add them all up and that's enough for me to pass on. I just scan the bill and forward it to the PM. Not much work really. The pm gets the water usage and it goes on my statement.
Mine would add up to more than a few hundred dollars a year. Maybe even a thousand dollars.

If I had more properties I would probably put more effort into getting down in the grass and reading the meters. I got a water account today for a tenant whose lease started at the end of the time period involved. So the total usage on this bill is from the tenant before. The total of the bill is $230 and the usage is $80. I could have read it and charged the previous tenant before he left, and I could work out what the new tenant has used from first day to now, but I really do get confused with working it out. There are three tiers of usage at different rates per kL.

I also have to tell the taxman that I have "earned" $80 so I don't bother. I'm a bit lazy :p. If she was a narky tenant, I probably would charge her but she is not, and from next bill I don't have to work anything out, just give her a copy and charge her the total of the usage as she will have been living there for the whole period involved in the next bill.

I do wonder if PMs actually read meters when tenants enter into a lease and then read the meter when the water bill comes in? They must spend half the day kneeling beside meters, cleaning mud off the little windows when all the accounts come it. I hope they are better at maths than me, and actually can work it out without having to have a little lie down afterwards :).

My tenant always pays water usage.. however I pay the 'rental' charges.. I'm in VIC.

The account goes into their name and the water company charges them direct

I am hoping that Urban Utilities will look at doing this so that tenants can sign up and be billed directly for water just like they do for electricity and gas.

I'm not holding my breath though... :rolleyes:

well if negative gearing wasnt there rents would be wayyyyy higher to positive gear it rite...?
so i agree

Last time they removed negative gearing a significant portion of landlords sold their negatively geared properties and rents went sky high ... but what's that got to do with passing on usage costs of water?

Only those that "can't be bothered", like Wylie, or those without separate metering don't do it so don't penalise those of us that do abide by the rules. Wylie chooses not to claim $360/yr (approx) from her tenent ... I look at it as nearly paying my insurance bill ... besides ... the PM includes it in her services and only has to physically check the meter where she's there doing a pre/post condition report.

Back