Why Invest? - Disarming Damocle's Sword

demoman said:
Duncan,

Nice post, I've often felt the same way.

There's alot of people up here in the Northern Rivers who have tried to drop out of society and I wonder where they will be when they are old and frail.

Our move to the Northern Rivers has given us a nice balance between work & lifestyle but alas we realise we must press on if we are to give our children the best possible start in life. That is our motivation. It keeps us being slaves to the system.

Cheers

Jared

Yep.. which is why Investing is so important.. so you can check out of that slavish devotion to the "Societally Mandated Way of Life" and relieve yourself of the anxiety that being "in it" actually causes.

Kris Sheather said:
Duncan I think many others are missing your point but I understand where your coming from, I feel that same way, trapped.
I haven't got the vaugest idea where you guys are coming from.

The eldest son of our city's richest citizen recently topped himself. Wasn't pretty; a high powered firearm. Obviously he'd been given everything including the Mazda/Suburu dealershi for the city.

The sword may have fallen on him, but why did he stand under it? He could have simply bought an airline ticket, packed his CCs and lived in a log cabin in Bolivia (Katmandu?).

Mr. M. Could I suggest you STOP investing and start living the life you desire so much. Admittedly you can't do it in Oz but geeez, Thailand sounds nice.

I'm happy in Australia with bugger-all. Why aren't you?

RichardC said:
Mr. M. Could I suggest you STOP investing and start living the life you desire so much. Admittedly you can't do it in Oz but geeez, Thailand sounds nice.

I have family here, I dont want to move to Thailand.

RichardC said:
I'm happy in Australia with bugger-all. Why aren't you?

May I ask why you came to the Somersoft Forum?

You seem almost offended that I don't fit some pre-defined ideal?

duncan_m said:
which is why I Invest, in order to be released from it and not have that ever present ogre of unemployment, loss of income hanging over me.

Congratulations Duncan for taking on the responsibility of achieving what it is that you want to achieve. The majority of people end up on the pension and struggling because they choose to not be responsible for their own lives.

duncan_m said:
Now I 'm expected to ...........

Yes, but who is driving these expectations. Is it me or someone else?
If it is someone else, and you are not happy with that, choose to ignore them.

So the level of contribution has gone from small and with family involvement, to HUGE with no family involvement.

I think I am beginning to see your point, and I agree with that comment. Suffer from it myself and have considered moving to the country for the "quiet life". But I suspect it might be a case of "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence". AS Normie Rowe once sang beautifully "it ain't necessarily so".

GarryK

Last edited by a moderator:
Duncan,

duncan_m said:
a (nice) log cabin, a vege patch, the kids, a wood stove, my dog, long hikes in the country, a fish occasionally, some mangy chickens, a pile of books, access to a library, some hobbies, involvement in a small local community..
Isn't that the reason a pile of people settled in Nimbin all those years ago? :D

Not sure what the place is like now though.

GP

Garry K said:
But I suspect it might be a case of "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence". AS Normie Rowe once sang beautifully "it ain't necessarily so".

Possibly, but its based on a LOT of reading rather than listening to a lot of advertising. :)

Thanks Duncan!

This thread has helped polarize some of my own thoughts. I'm studying my MBA right now and am doing a subject called Managerial Skills. In unit 6 we did "career planning - self analysis" and I came to realise that my "career anchor" is "Lifestyle (LS)". I've always worked as a means to an end, namely an improved lifestyle, i.e. work/life balance. If you're interested I'll post the different potential anchors and their brief descriptions?...

Unit 7 was "career planning - moving forward" where I did a career option suitability analysis and compared my current 9-to-5 executive role with the concept of self-employed managing my own finances. The self-employed had a higher fit with my personal career preferences.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that not all jobs are a poor fit. Unfortunately, we often fall in to a career and its not until we've been working for a while that we bother to check whether it is consistent with our life goals and career anchor etc. Fortunately, my current job is still a good fit so I don't feel the "burning platform" to quit work that a lot of people do.

Maybe you need to re-assess the degree of fit of your current IT job and see if there's something that you could do that would be a better fit and still allow you to live within the constraints of our all-inclusive society?

IMHO, this would also remove or diminish the Damocles sword. "Redundancy" becomes less of an issue as role mobility is enhanced, and continuing to work less of a grind as career fit is better.

Cheers,
Michael.

MichaelWhyte said:
IMHO, this would also remove or diminish the Damocles sword. "Redundancy" becomes less of an issue as role mobility is enhanced, and continuing to work less of a grind as career fit is better.

Great post, thanks :)

For some reason I seem to run in 9-10yr cycles, I've had 2 significant careers, IT is the current one, and I'm on Year 9 of that :) The previous career lasted 9 years :) I know I could find a more enjoyable and rewarding career but I need to get this working/career monkey off my back for good or I'll be going thru the same agnst in 9 years time, and 18 years time, and 27 yrs time :) And I have so many hobbies and interests that I feel I dont have time left for a traditional career anymore :)

Big changes in the wind soon! :)

Great post, Duncan!

I can see where you're coming from. I don't think Damocle's Sword is quite the best analogy, but it does demonstrate the point very well.

Reading this thread brings to mind a song by Johhny Cash, entitled A Satisfied Mind. Those who've heard the song would know why... ;)

I suppose I don't want all of the doodads I can buy either, though I do like cars and computers... :p

My goal is, also, to break the shackles of living in our 'conformist' society, and to begin using the time I have bought myself, for better purposes. Some of my goals are to contribute to research, both in certain medical, and renewable energy fields.

Again, good thread! :)

Duncan M,
I like Nimbin and the Uki areas near Mt Warning in the tweed valley,
and the way people think down that way has a definite effect on everything
but you dont see too many burnt out hippies anymore,maybe they went up in smoke,imho,but if you look at this area from another angle ,a lot of the hippie
tenants in common company land set ups in that area im told are about to change,if you ever go through this area duncan take the time,it may be what you are looking for,dont bother with the local real estate people,you find out more at the Uki pub on a friday night,everybody selling something..even land.
good luck
willair..

Great thoughts Duncan

Duncan, it sounds like you are going through a fair bit of self analysis.

Not a bad thing to do. Sharing it publicly is brave! Kudos to you.

Writing it down, helps crystallise what it is you
want to achieve, and how to avoid the flipside of what you achieve - the bad part of it.

I've personally found ways to avoid that sword / or reduce the worry of it.
(for me the sword has been always the threat of poverty, having grown up with less nice shoes etc etc.
poor old me. Selfish really, as a kid and envious of other's success.)

GIVING.
The journey of wealth for me is not just material. It is wealth of soul, physical wealth and health.

For me - material wealth has a new purpose.

To give. This constantly reminds me that my money is not my own, I am but a channel / pipe to help others.
Some of the 'others' include my family / loved ones.
And hey - if some of the water sticks to the side of the pipe, I'm happy too.

I've often in the past said - if I can have enough to get by, I'll be happy.
Gone through the game as a kid "If you won a million bucks what would you do.."

It moved from buy all the lego and GI Joes and walkie talkies there are to ..

Now I realise that there can be a greater
purpose for my life.

If I can have enough to get by, and to buy my neighbour's groceries when they lose their job, and to give away my
car to someone else who needs it more, to give my TV & VCR to a single mum who flees an abusing husband and needs some entertainment for the kids, to give money to aid in events that move the world, to give my children a respect for life and compassion for those less fortunate, to give my parents a comfortable and happy retirment by having them stay over and feeding them great meals and being generous with my time etc etc..

This is where it's at for me. So I work to that goal.

I am sure you already give Duncan. After all, you've shared your thoughts with us.

I thought that by sharing this story it may help you realise that the sword is Imaginary. It is the spirit of the age we live in, to get, get get and avoid being fired / made poor.

Here's a different way, world!: - Give, and it shall be given unto you. What goes around comes around. Provide for others, and your provision will be taken care of. It's a universal law, and I am only starting to realise the extent of it myself.

Still, I'm no saint. :) I still clutch my possessions and would greive if a theif took em. Especially my tools!! :D

alwayscurious said:
Here's a different way, world!: - Give, and it shall be given unto you. What goes around comes around. Provide for others, and your provision will be taken care of. It's a universal law, and I am only starting to realise the extent of it myself.
Alwayscurious,

Part of what you're describing I consider to be the "abundance mentality" as opposed to the "scarcity mentality". A lot of people cannot comprehend a win/win solution and are locked in to a win/lose mindset. They consider there is finite resources and that if they get them then others have to miss out. If you accept that there is more than enough to go around, then win/win becomes possible. You can both have your cake and eat it too. Give abundantly and recognise that there will be plenty left over for you too.

The more you give, the more you realise that there is plenty to go around. It becomes a self-fulfilling mantra. The more you give, the more of an abundance mentality you develop and the more receptive to actual abundance you become. You stop counting your spending pennies and look to how you can make that cool million that anyone could make if they really wanted to. When you make that million, you give away far more than you ever did before and money starts falling in to your lap whether you work hard for it or not. Your mindset and resulting systems have created an abundance reality. It truly does come back ten-fold and more.

Cheers,
Michael.

alwayscurious said:

Still, I'm no saint. :) I still clutch my possessions and would greive if a theif took em. Especially my tools!! :D

Thanks AlwaysCurious,

I appreciate your taking the time to provide that. Much of what you say synergises with other things I've been thinking and reading.

My tools also are, alas, quite precious to me too :) I get a lot of pleasure out of fixing something or making something and having EXACTLY the right tool to do the job.

duncan_m said:
I have no desire for untold wealths and wants, I'm over that now, I just want my life back.

Thanks for the confirmation Duncan. I guess i kinda understand where you're coming from now after you clarified a bit more.

I'm not sure of your religion and how pious you are, but maybe consider reading a bit about Buddhism? I personally think it's more of a philosophy than a religion and it may also help you deal with these things that can cause angst :)

I like to think i'm also a "non-conformist" and have decided not to be sucked in by the the media, advertising, doodads etc etc. As Tyler Durden from Fightclub said,

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy sh1t we don't need. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

By the way, i have a friend who lives in a Crown forest just out of Nimbin. He's been there 7 years now without any problems. He's built a cabin by a stream and is pretty much self sufficient. He heads into town every 2 weeks to get his dole and get some groceries. I've also been to a commune of about 20 people living in the hills without electricity or running water and they also seem to be doing ok. Most are Vietnam veterans and have turned their backs on our "society".

Mary said:
By the way, i have a friend who lives in a Crown forest just out of Nimbin. He's been there 7 years now without any problems. He's built a cabin by a stream and is pretty much self sufficient. He heads into town every 2 weeks to get his dole and get some groceries.
Hi Mary,

How is someone self sufficient on the dole?

Jamie.

Hi Jamie, i assume you're being a bit of a pedant in the definition of self-sufficient? :)

Ok, he has a vege patch, chooks & ducks. The dole buys him tobacco, beer and canned meat product.

Back