Why Now???

Got this just come up.

We developed a lot into a battleaxe selling both the back and front properties (the front one has a house on it and the back vacant). Sold both off about 2-3 years ago.

There was an old loo on the portion of the back block that we had decommissioned by a plumber as part of the subdivision.

We now have the owner of the front block ringing up claiming $302 because the sewer and water running to the back loo was cut at a position where it was damaged and opened by work in the rear block. So it appears that the decommissioning was not done at the boundary but in the back block.

She said that there is stat dec signed by me stating that all works had been done to enable subdivision, part of which I guess pertained to the decommissioning of all water/sewerage.

I told her it's not my problem but hers. I signed the stat dec in good faith and all the work was through a company.

To me the plumber doing the work is at fault or the company doing the PM for us not keeping tabs on where the decommissioning took place.

Anyone care to weigh in with an opinion.

I don't want to pay it (I can but paying might be admitting liability).

Anyone?????

The reality is that it will cost them a whole lot more than $302 to try to collect the debt that is not even proven. It is just an ambit claim - forget about it.

Why would anybody in their right mind even try and claim $302.

Just to get all the paper work together and other associated task would take longer than the value claimed let alone the enauing arguments.

Some people.

Cheers

and if the claim is upheld - how long does the signing of the stat dec last? ie could the new owner come back 7-10 years later?

Back