Why pets should be allowed in houses

interesting, have always wondered what would happen if someone with TS hadn't ever been exposed to any swear words? would you burst out with 'golly gosh' or slam the desk in frustration or would the 'fit' just not happen? - serious question.

LOL! Common misconception I suppose, I'm not too worried about stereotypes that come with the disorder, I do get a bit angry when people talk about it in a derogatory manner though. I shall explain..

I believe that many young teens and other such people diagnosed with TS use the disorder to swear, act out and treat others bad because that's what people associate TS with - and they get away with it! (If you read through the wiki link posted by Ed it clearly states only about 10% actually do have this)

Personally, I don't act out or swear. I have "fits" that usually last between 30 mins and an hour, mostly due to stress, anxiety or an asthma attack and sometimes I have no idea why they happen. I can also suppress my tics, so I can usually control where I have them - Especially if they're related to stress or anxiety.

I do look as if I'm trying to punch or kick people at times, I stutter and cry as all my muscles in my body tense up and the lactic acid build up can sometimes be unbearable when I have fits. I was diagnosed when I was 12, as i've grown up I've learnt how to control myself, recognise if I'm about to have one and the amount I have them has lessened, the severity however hasn't.

My cousin has TS too, his eye tics uncontrollably all the time, it's not that bad, but it's noticeable. He also stutters all the time, once again he doesn't swear or act out, he's also classed as disabled due to TS - but he's a really smart guy and has his head on straight and by no means would you call him "retarded" or disabled.

Thanks for helping me out there Ed :) The only time I ever had a problem with it was at school, I got teased pretty badly at times.

interesting, have always wondered what would happen if someone with TS hadn't ever been exposed to any swear words? would you burst out with 'golly gosh' or slam the desk in frustration or would the 'fit' just not happen? - serious question.

I believe the "typical" way TS is shown on telly is not actually that "typical" and suddenly bursting out with rude language is not really "typical".

I think they use this on telly because some people would find it funny and it seems to have become the way TS is shown.

We have recently spent $20k refurbishing a unit in NSW. We are pet lovers and received a request to let it to another pet owner. But we wanted some protection for our hard earned $20k. We asked for a pet bond just in case the cats climbed the curtains or messed the carpets. No unfair damage would mean a full return of the bond.

The answer in NSW is no. You can not get more than 4 weeks bond. Call it pet bond or regular bond or anything else you want. But you can not have more than the 4 weeks.

So guess what?? We've decided not to allow pets in our rented unit. Thanks very much to the NSW bond board. Another brilliant plan to protect tenants?!!

As much as I like animals, and our properties are pet friendly, I support your decision.
Hopefully more LL in NSW will not permit pets, and they will reverse this decision to not permit an additional bond.....or they could go the other way, as in Ontario.

In Ontario, Canada..a dreadful province to be a LL...a tenant can have all the pets they want..and nothing the LL can do.

We allow pets in our rental properties, the houses are all fully fenced with yards, they are not allowed to have dogs in the house (unless they are small pocket pet types of dogs), and our retirement units, the bc allows pocket pet dogs, and cats. Have never had any problems with the pets, the people on the other hand.......

I'm coming in very late in this thread, as a pet owner myself of multiple cats (lets leave it at that) I honestly cannot say to a tenant that no you can't have a cat or dog, I'd see that as hypocritical. I'm about to settle on a property in Mildura and one of the the things that I have emphasised to the agent is that I am quite willing to allow pets, but I would inspect the property a bit more than normal.

I've also owned a rental property in Castlemaine before and the lady had three kids and to give her her dues, you wouldn't have known that she had kids, the house was left immaculate.

I agree, I have no problems with allowing pets. You can attract a higher rent with those two little words - "pet considered."

Prime example - if an owner will allow pets, I will then increase the rental price by between 5 - 10%.

Plus, as the poster pointed out, there are safeguards in place - we have a pet clause plus a pet bond.

I'm a HUGE fan - in fact, in my 7 IP's, there are only 2 which don't have pets.

I remember reading the stats that about 7 in 10 families living in a house in the burbs have a dog. So if you don't wish to consider pets at all probably a good idea to invest in apartments!

Back