Why such a big difference in prices in the same street?

We have a 906 square metre block with 15 metre frontage and the house would (I believe) need to be moved over a metre of two to enable a driveway to be allowed down the side to create a battleaxe block.

We paid $460K in December 2005 and last appraisal was $650K (or thereabouts - pretty loose appraisal really). (This is the block that backs onto another block we have, giving us 72 perches with two street access, that I have posted about before.)

There is another house almost opposite this one with a queenslander on it, bigger than our queenslander cottage, just as original inside (ours is updated, this is "original") and just as ugly. (Both houses have been closed in and are ugly from the street, both fixable of course with a little money spent opening them back up.)

This house opposite is also two street frontage, on about 800 square metre block. The back of the house faces the next street and is opposite a park.This block was split from street to street giving two 10 metre wide blocks, both with two street access.

Recently, the boards went up advertising a reconfiguring of the block. Now the house sits on one 400 square metre block (about 16 perches), still ugly and they have cut off the back 16 perches which is vacant and has its own street access.

I fully realise that this gives a much easier development or build for somebody because they have created a house on 16 perches and a vacant 16 perch block. They are asking for serious offers over $1.1M for both.

My question is - we have a bigger block, and taking account that we would lose the driveway entrance, we would also end up with probably two 16 perches blocks, one battleaxe and one facing the street. I am guessing that reconfiguring the block would have cost about $20K but I could be way out on this. Plus, we would have to spend $50K or so (guessing) to slide ours over to allow a driveway down the side.

Agent told me the house on its newly reconfigured block was worth about $650K as it is, which leaves the vacant 16 perch block having a value of about $450K which is probably about right.

If our valuation is about $650K, even allowing for the reconfiguring and house sliding costs, we are either way under, or these vendors are aiming for the stars.

Any thoughts. This is in Coorparoo, in a fairly good street near Chatsworth Road.

Hello Wylie,
When you say valuation do you mean an agent's opinion (sometimes they inflate the price to get the work or under quote for a quick easy sale), which can lead to tainted sale price too, unfortunately; or a valuation by a registered valuer( this may be nearer the achievable sale value but can depend on many variables)?
I like to look at what properties sell for and bear little credence to what is asked, given the sometimes massive difference between asking and selling price. I can send you a report on sales , showing days on market and changes in advertised price etc if you are interested, just email me.
Also , is the other land the same zoning as yours? Why I am asking is there a chance that even though the lot size is small could they build units or multi level on it?
Either way you seem to have bought well and are sitting on a nice site, well done and hope this helps.
Jeff

Hi Wylie

We were poking around in the same area about 3 years ago looking for IPs before buying in an adjacent suburb. Whilst I haven't kept a close eye on sale prices or asking prices recently, I do get regular market updates from a couple of agents in that area. Without knowing exactly where it is, I would think that your neighbours-over-the-road would be a tad optimistic expecting offers over $1.1M, particularly in the current market. (But then again, I could be wrong.)

Cheers
LynnH

Hi Jeff. Thanks for the reply. The zoning on both properties is character, so houses must stay on. The valuation I got was actually from a local real estate agency principal whom I know personally, so I trust his judgement. He did some digging for me at the BCC regarding our double block, so it was a considered appraisal.

His appraisal (without going into the house - see below) was roughly the same as another agent I know who has been inside.

I have, however, spoken since then with another agent who says that local residential agents don't know the value of a development site, which (of course) he does, as he spends a lot of time sourcing such sites for local developers. He is getting back to me. He is actually the agent selling the one which has been reconfigured, so I am very curious as to what he says about our block, when (and if) he ever gets back to me.

I also got a letter two days ago asking about this block, and whether we wish to sell. I called the agent who is looking for a local developer. I thought it odd that he didn't twig that we have the double block. He said his developer asked him to send out five letters, so perhaps that is right. If he was picking sites from the VG sheets, surely he would have noticed the double block?

Anyway, he was going to get back to me today after speaking to his developer, but I haven't heard.

The thing is, we really don't want to sell this double block as it is sort of our retirement nest egg, and we believe it will only become more valuable as development blocks in the area become harder to find. I told him we would be up for huge capital gains tax and would probably use the money to buy again. He knows that any price we are offered would have to be very attractive for us to sell and buy something else, with all the costs involved in selling and buying.

I am not holding my breath because I know developers buy with their bottom line in mind and not with their hearts, but it is worth a phone call. Maybe he might offer us $3M :D That would really put the cat among the pidgeons.

Regarding the appraisal, there have also been several sales in the street. It is very loose, partly because the principal was appraising the other house of our double block and hasn't been inside the one I am talking about here, but I gave him a very concise run down of what it was like inside.

I just cannot see why the other block in the same street (smaller, albeit more attractive and less costly to build) is worth soooooo much more, unless they are just aiming too high.

Hi Wylie,

Is the block opposite to yours being sold by a real estate agent or privately? Either way, I would go and have a chat with the agent or the landlord as a prospective buyer and try and find out on what basis have they set that price?

Then you can be the judge whether they are being really optimistic or they know something which you didn't?

Cheers,
Oracle.

Thanks Oracle. It is being sold by an agent, and I did call that agent. He is the one who told me that the house on 16 perches was worth about $650K. Our house on 36 perches is worth the same (according to the recent appraisal).

This same agent is going to get back to me regarding our block, plus the agent who sent us a letter about our block. I haven't heard from either of them as yet.

I am very interested to hear from them both.

Hi Wylie
The answer is the Battle axe block, this sort of block is apparently a lot harder to sell than one with street frontage. Also their reconfigire block would be a 2 lots into 2 lots and as you are not creating anymore lots no infrastructure charges. much cheaper

Brisbane was originally split into lot sizes by perches. 1 perch=25.3125sqm Some of the original subdivisions were very small I have a house in Brisbane city (petrie terrace area) on 7 perches. The ones with the soil cart lane behind are on 6 perches. Most of inner brisbane was subdivided into 16perch (405sqm) lots 10m frontage with 40.5m length but many qlders were built on double blocks of 32 perches (810sqm). THe house sat in the middle of the block straddling the 2 single blocks. Sliding one over to one side, renovating and extending and then building new on the other was bread and butter for many small developers when they started

Thanks RPI. I would think maybe the infrastructure costs would be a bigger hurdle than the battleaxe. There are quite a number of battleaxe blocks in Coorparoo and I know from my mother who used to sell houses, that they are certainly a drawback when it comes time to sell, a bit like trying to sell a house on a busy road, or near a railway line. The pool of buyers greatly diminishes for any of these drawbacks, but this difference seems way more than any of those scenarios.

If these agents EVER call me back I will possibly get an idea of whether our appraisal is too low (which I doubt) or just why this other place is worth so, so much more. Driving down the back yard street where the new house will go, this block just looks too tiny to have a house on it, but it is 16 perches with 20 metre frontage, so it is very shallow.

Hi Wylie,
I am not a fan of the 20x20 blocks. You put a house in the middle of the block and you don't really have a front, back or side yard of any size just little bits of dirt all around you. Especially when in the street in question would be 6m setback

I totally agree. Looking at the newly created block, the back of the house will be smack bang up against the existing house. And with a 6m setback, I reckon it will be one room deep, or two skinny rooms deep.

I know from when my mum was selling houses, there are particular houses exactly like this which were really hard to sell, each time they came on the market, for exactly this reason. With roughly a two metre wide back "yard", it would feel very claustrophobic.

I would prefer my battleaxe block :p

Still waiting on these two estate agents.....

Hello Wylie,
It will certainly be interesting to see what the land actually sells for.
After all, some properties sit on the market for years at inflated prices until the market catches up, while others sell within an hour of listing for over asking price.
My offer stands too if you want a report of market activity. It costs me nothing and doesn't take very long to compile. I find it interesting to see actual sale prices.
You can email me if you don't want it public.
List price can be fiction but sale price is fact.

Thanks jsj. I will PM you.

Interestingly, yesterday I received ANOTHER letter from another estate agent with another townhouse developer who is interested in my block, knows the street well, yada, yada.

I called him today and told him about how suddenly our block seems to be what every developer has been waiting for :rolleyes:. He also did not know we had the block backing onto this one, and will get back to me after speaking to his developer. I told him we are not really interested in selling this double block, we would pay a motza in capital gains tax, only to spend some of it buying back in somewhere ele. I told him we have another block a few houses away, same size and which could be developed and we would be more interested in selling this, especially if the money thown our way was too much to refuse :p.

I know developers are ultimately motivated by the profit in a deal, so I know that this will not come together, but will be an interesting exercise, nonetheless.

Wonder what will come in tomorrow's mail.....

Back