will it help me get there?

As I reach a summit in my ip journey and decide to take in the view and wonder which way from here I have decided to go forward with this thought in mind "will it help me get there?"

Does this item, does this use of my time right now, does this food, does this thought, does this friend help me get there? Would I be closer to "there" if I gave it the flick? Time to declutter my world of so mnay things to give space to new opportunities.

Hi GoAnna,

I have started doing this as well! At first I thought I was being selfish but it saves so much time thinking like this. I now don't waste time with people that I can't relate to (or they can't relate to me).

It's a good way to be!

Cheers
Tarah

Sounds like you are "fine focusing" Goanna. Decluttering is an excellent activity. Thanks for reminding me of this valuable tool that always seems to get covered by clutter - in the back of the cupboard!

By the way - where are you going? :)

Hi Goanna,

First, with apologies to Gertrude Stein, you have to ask yourself if there is a there, there.

If you are at the summit, then it is all downhill in every direction. Do you want to take the steep rapid decline or the gentle meandering path, or possibly even the cliff :eek:.

As you look from the summit, decide carefully what is out there and whether the journey was really there after all.

bye

Interesting thought Goanna, and one worth pondering.
Decluttering is good, but .....
Rather than asking, for example, "is this friend helping me get to where I want to go?", perhaps a more important question - "are they STOPPING me achieve what is important to me?"

Some things may not advance our goals, but they can sure be fun along the way.

:)
Lily

Hi Goanna,

First, with apologies to Gertrude Stein, you have to ask yourself if there is a there, there.

If you are at the summit, then it is all downhill in every direction. Do you want to take the steep rapid decline or the gentle meandering path, or possibly even the cliff :eek:.

As you look from the summit, decide carefully what is out there and whether the journey was really there after all.

bye

Yes i think there is a "there". The "there" might be "living in the now" "spending each minute of every day in a way that fulfills you as a person, contributes to the betterment of your community, enriches the relationships of the most significant people in your life"

I feel that I mea rezchinga moment where life has allowed me the luxury of sitting still with myself and reflecting on where I am.

I suspect that as breathtaking as the views from the summit are it will not be where I decide to pitch my tent. The summit is too lonely and wind swept a place for me. I think I would rather live a bit further down the hill, in a small village in a sunny location and really focus on enjoying the small pleasures that life provides from day to day and to share those pleasures with those I love. Some time in the future I may trek back up to the summit but I have no aspiration to build a fortress there.

No - it is not all "downhill" from the summit. It may have just given greater insight as to which way is the best way to travel to next.....

Interesting thought Goanna, and one worth pondering.
Decluttering is good, but .....
Rather than asking, for example, "is this friend helping me get to where I want to go?", perhaps a more important question - "are they STOPPING me achieve what is important to me?"

Some things may not advance our goals, but they can sure be fun along the way.

:)
Lily

I think we might agree. I do not use my frineds to get to another place. That is not friendship. Friendship is about sharing, about fun, laughter, support etc. If they are fun and bring laughter into my day. All is good :)

Where I want to go might be back where I was as a 6 year old - making stuff, exploring the world, enjoying time with friends, loving learning new things.

I think we have come to associate a goal as having more stuff, earning more money, having social status etc etc. Sometimes it is rejecting much of that and finding your own path even if the world at large is not that impressed with your choices. And then your friends become ever more important.

You've started a valuable thread GoAnna.

Like children, it is worthwhile being the champion of questions and taking the time to answer them honestly and with regard to each person's core values. In our hurry and scurry world, we often overlook the need to pause and reflect on where? and why? we're going.

It is usually when we become too comfortable, then life serves us a lemon/problem catastrophe that we realise that we may have missed the mark of what is truly important in our lives and the course we were on and if that is still the right direction.......and that will be different for each individual.

We all need to ask.

Hmmm well today on Ekka holiday I'm burning music to my MP3 player, surfing the internet and reading a crime thriller with a couple of glasses of Frangelico when I should be doing my uni assignments or finishing my tax, paying my bills or a number of other things I "should" be doing.

But who could be arsed? Not me. Much nicer to take the day off, relax and smell the roses. Why do today what could be put off until tomorrow or next week?

I think we have come to associate a goal as having more stuff, earning more money, having social status etc etc. Sometimes it is rejecting much of that and finding your own path even if the world at large is not that impressed with your choices. And then your friends become ever more important.

Yep always striving for something, feeling like we are not quite there yet, how much money/IP's etc do we need before we feel like that is enough. Is there ever "enough"?

This week I made the most amazing discovery. I realised that the life I wanted, is actually the life I already have. Because when you change the way you look at things you find the things you look at change. Thanks to the help of NLP.

My mind is now decluttered, leaving me free to declutter the house, (shh the garages) and the things that waste my time. It feels fantastic. :D

Sunshine

Back