Will this Bill Pass? (Brisbane RE: Student Accommodation)

Hi All,

I'm a first time poster to this forum so forgive me if this is in the wrong area.

I'm from Brisbane, I got 2 questions regarding Bills.

I read an article recently regarding cracking down on student accommodation.

"At present, Brisbane City Council cannot enter a property it suspects of housing more than five unrelated people - which is over crowded under the law - without the presence of Queensland Fire and Rescue Service.

The Bill had been referred to the Transport Housing and Local Government Committee for consideration.

The bill, if passed, could be used to draft local laws allowing the council right of entry power."

What exactly does this mean? What is local laws?

If the bill is passed does that mean Brisbane City council can search houses?

Does anyone think this is a bit drastic/intrusive?

Will such a bill get passed?

Hi

I think that it will get passed.

Council has to seek permission to enter, but just make use of the fireies to allow them to enter where owner does not permit.

There is a lot of this illegal housing and it is being cracked down on significantly.

I believe that next years Council budget it to include funding to establish a team to deal just with the house v multi-unit dwelling issue.

If the individuals, households or domestic groups that inhabit a premises, regardless of the built form, have the legal ability to control access to a part of that premises (eg a bedroom), then they are considered "discrete" individuals, households or domestic groups ,then the use is that of a Multi-unit dwelling not a house.

This has been around since 2000 City Plan and nothing has changed. It was challenged by a landlord of student housing last year but was upheld in AAD Design Pty Ltd v BCC in the Queensland Court of Appeal.

This applies to renting rooms, granny flats, dual living, whatever you wish to call it. Neighbours hate it, Council hates it and Council has the teeth to prosecute over it. It looks like they are also going to have the financial resources to tackle it on a much larger scale.

Does anyone think this is a bit drastic/intrusive?

Will such a bill get passed?

When something becomes a commercial enterprise (and over 5 people would be seen to be) then you would think it would would be covered by similar LG OHS and development laws that see to local small business.

Entering a property it 'suspects' as opposed to random checks conducted for no good reason seems reasonable.

When something becomes a commercial enterprise (and over 5 people would be seen to be) then you would think it would would be covered by similar LG OHS and development laws that see to local small business.

Entering a property it 'suspects' as opposed to random checks conducted for no good reason seems reasonable.

It’s 2013, not some kind of dictatorship where houses are searched and people interrogated.. What if I called the council and I said I suspect you of housing students. I'm sure you wouldn't like your front door kicked in 2 in the morning on a Sunday and your house searched. Hehe:rolleyes:

It’s 2013, not some kind of dictatorship where houses are searched and people interrogated.. What if I called the council and I said I suspect you of housing students. Hehe:rolleyes:
I think the bill will be passed,plus by you ringing up to complain they will also look at you,there are a lot of serial wingers out there from what i'm told..

It’s 2013, not some kind of dictatorship where houses are searched and people interrogated.. What if I called the council and I said I suspect you of housing students. I'm sure you wouldn't like your front door kicked in 2 in the morning on a Sunday and your house searched. Hehe:rolleyes:

Small business and accomodation is the business of council. They do enter premises when need be around here, although can't tell you the exact process they go through before doing so.

I know someone in the next suburb who was reported for illegal building work (whole walls removed from inside a house) and the council entered the premises to inspect - during business hours, with no notice, via an open front door :rolleyes:.

A large house a couple of blocks away from us had up to 10 short term rooms for rent and this impacted on the neighbours as they had nowhere to park (friends lived two down and they were really P****d off).

Apparently it breached council OHS regulations and was not authorized to run as was as well, and eventually shut down.

Anyway, I said SUSPECT but at the same time I would hope there would be some sort of application process where they'd need to state the complaints they've recieved, and/or why they suspect there are more than 5 in a household.

What suggestions do you have so they're able to put their foot down on illegal and unsafe housing accomodation?

Last edited:
What suggestions do you have so they're able to put their foot down on illegal and unsafe housing accommodation?

Well, if there are 10 cars parked on the street they should stop the person from renting to 10 short term renters!:mad:

I think city council could talk with the landlord to fix up the lawn and clean the house and not rent to students with cars if they don't have the room for the students to park. Then they wouldn't block others when they park on the street.

Back