Window Keys not Given after settlement

I settled on my property and i was given the property keys. HOwever when i entered the unit, there was no keys for the windows which were locked.

The property manager has been avoiding my calls.

Am i able to be demand for it? even though it is not the main door keys.

Sorry to hear that but it happened to me when I settled in my current ppor but it is the main door key which was a incorrecly cut copy of the original key which sat on the benchtop inside the property..................and the worst its a moving sale so vendor was already overseas permantly i had to pay for a locksmith to get it opened:eek:

The property manager has been avoiding my calls.

Not sure how the prop manger will help - unless there were tenants in oplace already - but even then the PM may not have a copy (in fact unlikely to have a copy)

I've had this happen - easy enough for a locksmith to change the barrell and give you a new set of keys. Depending on the type of lock, they can even key them alike to any other locks you have.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Not sure how the prop manger will help - unless there were tenants in oplace already - but even then the PM may not have a copy (in fact unlikely to have a copy)

I've had this happen - easy enough for a locksmith to change the barrell and give you a new set of keys. Depending on the type of lock, they can even key them alike to any other locks you have.

Cheers,

The Y-man

They don't even need to change the barrel. I'd be wanting all the locks in the place keyed alike, especially if it were going to be a rental.

Look on the bright side, at least you got some keys!

I bought a house a few years ago and got NO keys, vendor lost them, never bothered to lock the house. They where growing in a couple of bedrooms and never locked the house. Oh well, these things happen. Don't worry about it, just sort out the locksmith or replace all the locks with new ones, which ever option is cheapest. :D

Cheers
Graeme

I don't see why i should spent another $100-$200 bucks to get a locksmith in to open the window locks. The agent should have verified that the keys worked for all the windows.

Bad enough they left the wardrobe and furniture in the unit.

BUt i'll see what they say monday.

I don't see why i should spent another $100-$200 bucks to get a locksmith in to open the window locks.
I understand the frustration BUT......

The agent should have verified that the keys worked for all the windows. Bad enough they left the wardrobe and furniture in the unit.
This is NOT the responsibility of the selling agent - it is yours (or your representative such as a buyers agent or other person you have authorised to do the pre-settlement inspection). The selling agent is contracturally obligated to the vendor. They have no such agreement with you, the purchaser, to look after your interests.

BUt i'll see what they say monday.
I'm pretty sure I can tell you now ;)

LOL! Me too!

Seriously, I can't count how many times I have not been given keys for the windows. In all honesty, I would find it easier to tally up the times that I have. We did get them with the current PPOR, but I think that's about it.

Tenants also often leave and don't give back the window keys.

Don't sweat the small stuff. You will have much bigger obsticles to come, I assure you.

I just had this happen in a place I bought, no window locks and driveway gate padlocked.
With the window locks, remove one of them (look for one which just has normal screws and not the one way security screws to make the job easier on yourself), and take it down to the local locksmith to get them to make a key up (ie to fit the exist barrel). Hopefully all other window locks are keyed alike so might only cost you $15 or so.

If the locks arent the same, then just go to Bunnings and buy a pack of 4 and change all of the locks to new ones.

I understand the frustration BUT......

This is NOT the responsibility of the selling agent - it is yours (or your representative such as a buyers agent or other person you have authorised to do the pre-settlement inspection). The selling agent is contracturally obligated to the vendor. They have no such agreement with you, the purchaser, to look after your interests.

pre-settlement inspection was OK.

The windows were not locked. And come after settlement - there were locked and the key they give did not fit in.

actually it's my 11th purchase. 1st time with window locks.

hmmm. i actually have a good relationship with the agency's boss having bought with them so many times - so it will be interesting why they won't oblige to help me with it.

The only thing is was that the agency did not do a thorough check.

anyway. can't be too fussy the wardrobe and drawers they left behind was eventually sold on ebay for $230.

we got one key to our house that fitted one lock on the back door. No other keys provided, and most of the doors locked except for one. the one key we did get we didn't get until two weeks after settlement.. the agent was an idiot and didn't even know when settlement was and apparently no one had told him about the settlement - seems like he wasn't doing much followup. By the time we got the key all the locks had been changed anyway.

didnt really phase me as given the amount of people who would of had access to the keys prior to me buying the house - previous owner, agents, friends of the owner, potentialy tradespeople etc - i had planned to change all the locks anyway. That way i know exactly who has keys and access....

I recently discovered a key in a fake rock in the garden (3 years after settling!).

It was the key to the only lock in the house I had not been able to find in the huge bundle of keys handed to me at settlement!

Cheers,

The Y-man

Same boat right now - got a bunch of keys, half of which don't fit any locks and none fit the window locks. The complaint chain goes: tenants -> me -> selling agent -> original PM -> previous tenants.

Not holding my breath - giving it a month or until the chain snaps somewhere - and fully expecting to stump up for rekeys. Ah well.

same here. i'm trying to push it from the agent but it's a bit of waste of time.

lawyer said no point pushing out the cost.. just get it redone and put in on tax.. which is what i most likely will do.

Back