Wine Cellar

Hi All,

Around the Perth inner city recently, I have noticed that any building work for new homes usually incorporates the building of an underground wine cellar. Large amounts of soil (usually sand here in WA) is excavated from the site, footings poured followed by the constuction of a double brick room below ground level.

My question for the forum is, has anyone done this? And what are the design\engineering contraints that need to be kept in mind before lookinig to incorporate a large wine cellar underneath a house.

Cheers

Glenn

My brother almost did it... very expensive to do. His was a reno so they would have to bore piers around the outline and fill with concrete. In the end it was cheaper to insulate a room on ground level as a purpose built cellar. The cost was $10K vs $40K. Cheers Pulse

You'll find (in Melbourne anyway) that areas where land is very expensive, almost all new developments have underground parking, rooms, cellars, etc. The reason being is that the land is worth so much, it's cheaper to dig down for more floor space rather than build (and buy) sideways.

Back