Wink and Grow Rich

Dear A86,

Seems that many of the NZ books don't find their way into Australian bookshops. Maybe it's one you should get and lend to others at BIG meetings. ;)

Cheers,

Sunstone.

agent 86 said:
Wink and Grow Rich by Roger Hamilton

Catchy title.Has anyone on the forum read it.

Got great reviews over on the NZ Propertytalk site.

http://www.propertytalk.co.nz/book-95.html

Never seen it in Aust bookshops.

A86
Well I don't think I will be paying anyone money for it on first inspection. I love those comments! Imagine getting so inspired from a book you took the huge step of flying to Singapore for the authors seminar :) But if it's a better book than "Rich Day, Poor Day" (penultimate comment) it could be worth a look I guess.

All from: http://www.propertytalk.co.nz/book-95.html

Roger Hamilton is Asia's leading wealth consultant. In the last 12 months he has shared powerful wealth creation principles with over 30,000 people in more than 150 conferences, seminars and workshops.

Anyone heard of him?

But judging from the coments the bok must be grate!

Members Comments:

Rating:
Comments: A great book! Each time you read it you find more jems of advice. I recommend it!
Member: Marc - (Member is offline)

Rating:
Comments: So far I have read this book 7 times, it is the ONLY book I have ever read more than twice. Each time I have read it, there are new insights that I had previously missed. I have also done the seminar called the 'Stealth Wealth Weekend' in Singapore this year and was so impressed with the weekend that myself and 3 others in NZ have purchased the rights to sell his book here in NZ (hence it being for sale here) and also for Roger to do seminars in NZ, with the first being held here in April 2005
Member: orion - (Member is offline)

Rating:
Comments: I too have read the book a number of times. The book is an easy read that provokes alot of thought. The book inspired me to take the plunge and attend Roger Hamiltons S.W.W in Singapore. I have also joined Rogers 12mth coaching programme scheduled to start next year. The entire experience thus far has given me greater clarity of what I want in life.
Member: Marcus - (Member is offline)

Rating:
Comments: Great Book, You've got to read it to experience what it has to offer. I highly recommend it.
Member: Annett - (Member is offline)

Rating:
Comments: I went to a talk at our local Property Investers Assoc where 'Orion' spoke. I missed out on buying it at the time but borrowed a copy off a friend who did. Since then I have read it several times and while I was last in Hastings bought five copies off 'Orion' and have proceded to distribute them to my nephews and neices. Great inspirational little book, fun to read and excellent for the both the experienced investor and the uninitiated.
Member: Tauranga - (Member is offline)

Rating:
Comments: This is an excellent book. Every now and then along comes a book which I consider every person should read - such as Rich Day Poor Day. Well this is another one of those.
Member: RentMaster - (Member is offline)

Rating:
Comments: An easy mind prevoking read. Recommended.
Member: toby - (Member is offline)

WaySolid said:
Roger Hamilton is Asia's leading wealth consultant. In the last 12 months he has shared powerful wealth creation principles with over 30,000 people in more than 150 conferences, seminars and workshops.

Anyone heard of him?
Nope, but considering the size of Asia it's quite possible that a speaker be well known to a billion people without a single Australian being aware of them.

Here's a brief profile: http://www.indoindians.com/money/roger.htm

Appears he's not had much to do with our tiny and insignificant corner of the world (and why should he!)

Note that if you're in the Wealth Creation Seminar/Writing Business the place to be is definitely NOT Australia.

There's two billion Indians & Chinese (not to mention the hundreds of millions of Indonesians, Thais, Malaysians, etc, etc) who are all hankering to get wealthy and ready to learn in legislative environments with more leeway than Australia's.

The price you can charge per head is possibly less (only possibly - the relative tiny% of Indian middle class is larger than the total Australian population - around 30-40 million) - but with 100x the target market of Australia who cares.

hmm - I'll be on the subcontinent next month - may have to line up some speaking events.....

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I am suspicious of anyone borrowing from another Title, I don`t like it at all!.
All the talk about "keys" to success and wealth is simply an authors grab for a healthy share of dollars from the pockets of naive unfulfilled souls imo.
I have read many many books over the years including Think and Grow Rich which I read from cover to cover 10 or more times as the author suggested, and my opinion is it is a load of boloney(sp?).
Some books we learn from others simply lead us to confusion and ultimately feeling down at our ability to apply the magic "keys".
Bottom line you get nothing for free and it is not easy to make a fortune and have great success simply by reading books and babbling on to yourself trying to trick your own brain into believing that you will in fact be financially free in one year or whatever time limit you wish to apply to it etc, it takes hard work and years of effort imo, in addition to reading books and taking what is realistic and applying it, these authors do not tell you that simply because they would not sell books, they tread warily and leave the real world truth uncovered for those who study long enough to uncover, then when questioned they reply that you did not follow thier ideas you are not positive enough hahahaha..you must believe.
Books that promise the world are just simply aimed at making the author rich, truly how can they be anything else?, I don`t know maybe it is good to make people believe they can have it all, that there are magic keys to the cosmic which will attract all good things to us like a river of gold?.............. even when it is very likely could end in bitter disappointment???.
I do believe in being positive of course but when push comes to shove you must call a spade a spade.

Hi all,

Markpatrick, you are sounding a little jaded.

From all those types of books the one part that I have found relavent is the belief section.
Not the, sit back on the beach and believe that I am rich so it will magically happen(as many people believe they say); but the,......

If I believe I can do X... then as long as I work hard to that goal it will happen. Persistence being the key.

The real motto being "never give up, never surrender". With appologies to commander Taggart. ;)

bye

I agree - if you really strongly visualise yourself winning lotto, it's a waste of time.

If you strongly visualise yourself taking the actions which will help you succeed, reinforce your successes and see the end goal, you find yourself passing the milestones at a faster rate than you would have believed possible.

Good point but to say persistance is the key is like to say you need to go to the sea to catch fish, we all learn this in our early years.
It`s like doing a raindance, if you keep dancing eventually it will rain but it is not the dance doing it.
These gurus always apply methods then say that persistance is the key but the deep need to have your goal is the only key everything else just happens along the way, you can`t get "knowing" from a book, everyone simply cannot be like Donald Trump.
Yes you can learn things from books but if you expect that your life will change you are most likely going to end up disappointed, why?....time imo the main reason is time, time to learn time to apply things it is simply too long for the average person to stick to someone elses beliefs systems.
I am doubtful that the book would help 1 in a million readers if your lucky and even then only in small ways, the others have wasted thier time and money.

Personally I think the biggest reason books, seminars, etc don't change peoples' lives is that they don't want to change.

People want the results of the change, the success, wealth, adoration, etc - but without all the messy bits and hard work of having to go through the change.

Most people don't change unless you put them in a life-threatening situation...and even then many still refuse.

Any book or seminar that can make it look easy to get the results of change does well. Any that emphasises how much work you need to do on yourself to achieve change, don't.

The next time you see a self-help book promoting how it has achieved the best sellers's list or how it's author has spoken to thousands of people, think about it.

Does this means that the book helps people feel good or that it helps them become better.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Acey
That is so true!
I've had friends take up wrapping because they see my success. Over and over I told them that yes, I was going well, but it was a lot of hard work to achieve that.
The result? After 3 wraps the complaints about it being hard work have begun.... And I'm being criticised for not talking enough about that side of it.

Very true bottom line is they make it look easy for the masses and of course it isn`t, actually I say it is impossible for any significant amount of people to even financial freedom, why?.....the law of averages/laws of nature whatever you want to call it.
Many books actually give you the impression that you are the king of all village idiots if you cannot achieve success, it is so easy. :D :eek:
While visualisation and a positive attitude can work wonders and often do of course there is a lot more to it than that, these authors do not go into it any further simply because not enough is known about the human mind full stop, they know nothing!, of course we know that without mixing emotion with your thoughts and true belief it is pointless from the getgo.
Do you guys believe that someone can go from zero to hero without taking significant if not life/financially threatening risks?, I don`t, also I would like to meet ANYONE who has had incredible success or is financially independent who will tell you it was not extremely hard work for many years, in fact so hard they would not like to have to repeat the process.
In this respect I like Rich Dad Poor Dad simply because it spells out what you can do to change your situation in real and simple terms, ie start your own business, buy only things which appreciate and don`t borrow money or pay interest on items which will ultimately give you no return...good advise, along with advise like to question everything, do not let conventional wisdom or the attitudes of others affect what you know is right or what you think you can do.

I've read quite a few books on investment over the years and I don't remember one saying that it is easy to be rich and all you need to do go out and the first share/property you will look at will be 40% undervalued. Rather they say, its ultimately easier to put the hard yards in and invest now than be caught with very little money and time later down the track and that there are properties and shares out there 40% undervalued, but no one is going to bring them to you so your not going to find them if you don't actively look for them.

And, in the case of RK and some others, they say that risk is being uneducated (or undereducated).

The complementary saying is, of course "Learning is Pain".

Hi all,

Markpatrick,

Just because the books say it is simple, does not mean that they say it is easy.

The popular books as Acey mentioned are the ones that make it sound easy.

Everytime you hear the get rich merchants(books,videos,courses,FP) say you can become rich by only spending 1-2 hours of your spare time a week monitoring your investments by following their plan, run for the hills.

bye

markpatric,
Picked the book up as I was in NZ recently, was interested that Graeme Fowler (Orion on the Proprrtytalk.co.nz forum) raved about it & he's someone who's comments/opinions I've liked. Only available from the web or if you know someone who can get you a copy.

I've read it once already (didn't get much reading done on my holiday apart from Pinetree Meads & Jonah Lomu's autobiographies), will re-read it again in the next week or two. It's got me thinking, but I'm not sure what yet which in itself is interesting :p . So I'm not sure what score out of 10 I'd give it yet :confused: That doesn't normally happen when I read a book !

Disclaimer, I like books, always have, & now I'm on this path I read 20-30 every year. People do heaps without reading one of the books that get discussed on this site (Monopoloy springs to mind) & others do nothing despite reading 1000's of books. So take what you want from the book (or any book).

Would I recommend it, yes, how highly, not sure yet.

Cheers

Mark

MarkR,
Thanks for the review/non review. :)
Maybe thats why one of the Kiwi reviewers had to read it seven times. :)
Mind you I find most Kiwis like that. :)

Anyway have decided that if you can't make up your mind after reading it once, it must be interesting, so have ordered it.

Dear Sunstone, If i turn up at BIG with it, it would have to go to markpatric for all his optomistic views on books. :) Does markpatrick go to BIG?

markpatrick,
Somersoft forums are just one big long book fortunately/unfortunately :)

A86

Ouch...thanks A86, I knew I was in for one of those after my "non-review" but figured some info was better than none. Kind've the point of my post was that if I've read it & still need to think more then that must be a good thing :) Normally when I finish a book I'm aware of what I got out of it & why, so there you are.....Could've been all that Canterbury lamb, Monteiths summer ale, & orange choc chip ice-cream that addled my brain though :D

The mate I got the book off was in exactly the same boat & he's been in this game 10 yrs or so now. His comment was he finished & just put his bokmark in the front to start again.

As for us Kiwis being like that, I'll leave that one well alone.....cheeky little so & so :p

MarkR said:
Normally when I finish a book I'm aware of what I got out of it & why, so there you are.....Could've been all that Canterbury lamb, Monteiths summer ale, & orange choc chip ice-cream that addled my brain though :D

:p

MarkR,

I see your food tastes aren't the best either.

You missed out the Bluff oysters, Waikato draught(just ajoke), and a double cone of boysenberry and hokey pokey icecream.

But my favourite, fresh raw mussels (not farmed).

Hurry up and review the book. :)

A86

A86
Point taken, will have it re-read by the end of the week & summary posted.

As for my food tastes, sorry bud but I hate oysters, mussels are only good when cooked in a chilli, garlic, & white wine sauce, & when they have to name a beer after a region it's got nowhere to go.....CD for example, I'm sorry, that stuff is very mediocre when you've got Macs, Monteiths, the Speights boutique line, or good old DB to choose from :D Or if wou want to get serious, go for the Milford single malt.

You can get Montheiths & DB Super Dry from Safeways these days, things are looking up.

Hokey Pokey.....nice but I'll got the Orange choc chip, or the jellytip anytime
:p

Back