Wollongong

For those people who have first hand experience of Wollongong. Where are the good areas to live & not so good areas to stay clear of?

Same here. Happy to provide input but Wollongong (Illawarra) is a big place with many areas of both good and bad even some with bad within the good and visa versa.

The common ones I would avoid would be the heavy Housing NSW dominated areas of Bellambi, Warrawong, Berkeley, Koonawarra and Warrilla. Others I would avoid would include Cringila, Port Kembla and parts of Coniston and Unanderra.

Just provide the info and I will give you my thoughts free of charge.

Basically the same area and close to the CBD (5 min) and highly regarded suburbs and there are some good value homes but not the cheapest and therefore the yield may not be spectacular.

Close to the Uni with local a Westfield and serviced by buses to both these and the CBD. Not near the rail but be aware the major road (F6 Freeway/Princess Highway) runs through these areas so make sure you Google earth the addresses.

Streets vary with some busy one and some real quite ones. If I didn't work south of Wollongong I would not hesitate moving back to Figtree as it was my home suburb till I was 20. We sold up the family house in 2010 to move my mum to a nice apartment by the harbour so have some recent knowledge on the area.

Happy to comment on specific streets/property if you want, even agents as I just sold my PPOR in the next suburb (Unanderra) to move further south (shellharbour).

Basically the same area and close to the CBD (5 min) and highly regarded suburbs and there are some good value homes but not the cheapest and therefore the yield may not be spectacular.

Thanks for that....looking for areas for PPOR some time in the future, so yields are not of a concern.

We have just been looking online at prices to see what you get for your money in those areas....

We are open to other areas that are good quality & well located so are open to suggestions.

Looking in the $500k-$800k bracket. Ideally 4 x 2 with study.

Hi Rixter.

North Wollongong areas are nice like Bulli. Wonoona. Austinmer. thirroul.
I lived in wollongong for a few years and was on the north side it is really nice. Hope this helps.

filo

Cool, I was gonna suggest you talk to "Sash" here as I'm pretty sure he's got some IPs on that area, but pretty sure they won't be the type of properties you're after :-D

Would agree with womble regarding the suburbs to stay away from.

Up to $800k will open you up to almost all suburbs of Wollongong, with the likely exception of the far northern suburbs on the coast (north of Austinmer).

Any particular areas or amenities you'd like to be close to?

In the Figtree area, Cordeaux Heights comes to mind, which is also regarded as a fairly prestigious area of Wollongong. Northern suburbs, I would suggest Bulli and Thirroul, and in the south, you could look at parts of Blackbutt (on the hill behind Shellharbour Square), Barrack Heights/Barrack Point (east of Shellharbour Rd - now Grand Pacific Dr), Shellharbour and Shell Cove.

Looking in the $500k-$800k bracket. Ideally 4 x 2 with study.

With that range, and especially at the top end you will get what you are looking for in some of the best suburbs that are in the region.

It all depends on what your looking for in relation to land, house, views or distance to the beaches.

$800K would see you in a nice modern McMansion in Shell Cove or a nice larger home on a decent block in the premium suburbs close to the CBD like the ones mentioned above.

You may need to take a few less options to live in a beach side suburb but not impossible.

Great part of NSW and even better if you can get a local job!!!

a few q's:

1 do you want/need water views?
2 do you care how close to the water you are?
3 how built up an area do you want? (is it ok to be around units and small blocks or do you want to be near the bush?)
4 do you want to renovate or are you looking for walk in solution?
5 re above how old and what spec home you looking for? there are older timber and fibros, old brickies and new project homes in different areas
6 any twists? (do u want big yard or pool or other random items?)

i am further down the coast but mrs went to uni there, friends and my sis live there and happy to ask around.

Hi Rixter,

All good questions from knightm and these answers will narrow down your search.
A couple of other questions :

Will you be working and if so where ? How close woiuld you like to be ?

If you are, will you be heading to the Big Smoke ( Sydney ) for work ? Again, if so will you be travelling up the F6 freeway by car or taking the train... about 1 1/2 hrs from Wollongong station.

I have lived and currently still do live north of Wollongong.... Thirroul, Bulli & Woonona area and personally prefer this part to others... very biased though :D

Up my way vacant land is very scarce as from north of Woonona the mountain and the sea come closer together and this is pretty much all built out except for a new development in Thirroul hence the higher prices.

See link below.

http://www.stockland.com.au/residen...s-beach.aspx?gclid=CILTgZLtnbICFRBTpgodnQkAHg

Shell Cove down south is also a massive development if that's the area you are after.

http://www.shellcove.com.au

I don't have alot of street knowledge south of the Windang bridge but the suburbs womble mentioned to stay away from are spot on. Anything north though i am happy to assist in any way i can

Cheers

triv

Nope, just relocating closer to the outlaws. :)

Easier to jump in car than onto a plane.

My husband and I have a loose arrangement to live in Qld and WA back and forth. I got to the point where I was really over flying too. Will you be going back and forth?

You could always rent your property in WA and rent in Syd and see how it pans out, test the water so to speak before buying

I would stay clear of anything around Wollongong and head either north or south.

NORTH:
You will be fighting those that both live and work in the area as well as the migration from Sydney wanting a better property and commuting. But there are some fantastic suburbs.

Helensburg, Thirroul and Austinmer. Avoid Fairy Meadow to Corrimal.

SOUTH:
Personally I think that there is great money to be made on the eastern side of Windang (Ocean Street), eatern side Warilla (Stephanie, Osborne etc) and the large blocks on the foreshore lake in Oak Flats.

Shellharbour is growing in retail and health as well as a strong council wanting growth.

Last edited:
My parents live in Thirroul on the northern beaches, and love it. It's a main stop on the trainline, directly at the bottom of Bulli Pass so you can avoid congested local roads to get to Sydney, it has a fantastic surfie-artsie village vibe - heaps of cafes etc as well as two supermarkets (my Sydney northern beaches mother-in-law describes it as Avalon 20 years ago), good schools, nice swimming beach and a decent ocean bath. My mother said many Thirroul residents commute to Sydney, which I guess would feed into CG. Hope this helps.
Cheers, Ali

Back