Wollongong

I would stay clear of anything around Wollongong and head either north or south.

NORTH:
You will be fighting those that both live and work in the area as well as the migration from Sydney wanting a better property and commuting. But there are some fantastic suburbs.

Helensburg, Thirroul and Austinmer. Avoid Fairy Meadow to Corrimal.

SOUTH:
Personally I think that there is great money to be made on the eastern side of Windang (Ocean Street), eatern side Warilla (Stephanie, Osborne etc) and the large blocks on the foreshore lake in Oak Flats.

Shellharbour is growing in retail and health as well as a strong council wanting growth.

+1 most of that. bulli thirroul favs of mine from a childhood of surf trips, but they do feel really nice. Fairy down to n gong doesnt feel as nice but there are good streets if you look. Agree the pockets of value close to water on south side, but there are problem areas not far away so depends on if you value fixed assets like ocean proximity over current demographics or not.

Any particular areas or amenities you'd like to be close to?

a few q's:

1 do you want/need water views?
2 do you care how close to the water you are?
3 how built up an area do you want? (is it ok to be around units and small blocks or do you want to be near the bush?)
4 do you want to renovate or are you looking for walk in solution?
5 re above how old and what spec home you looking for? there are older timber and fibros, old brickies and new project homes in different areas
6 any twists? (do u want big yard or pool or other random items?)

i am further down the coast but mrs went to uni there, friends and my sis live there and happy to ask around.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions & information.

Im not fussed whether we purchase established or not, however Mrs Rix would ideally like to build so she has all the appointments she wants.

If we were to build ideally would like it somewhere within 5km -10km max from the ocean/waterway on say 2000m2 block. Room to keep boat & kids ride small trail bike on.

Easy access/commute to good infrastructure and major Shopping, Public Transport, Recreational, Educational & Medical facilities.

House we would like to be brick & tile , 4-5 bedroom, 2 bathroom, Pool etc.

If we saw something established which ticks the boxes we would like to be of modern design, no older than 10 years old.

Thanks once again everyone.

Rixter

Is this your retirement?

Will you be working and if so where ? How close woiuld you like to be ?

If you are, will you be heading to the Big Smoke ( Sydney ) for work ?

No, I wouldnt be in the payg work force. Financial independence overseeing our investment property portfolio and enjoying the fruits of our investment labour/living life to the max is the name of the game

My husband and I have a loose arrangement to live in Qld and WA back and forth. I got to the point where I was really over flying too. Will you be going back and forth?

No plans to on a regular basis Invstor. We will travel back now and then on IP business and visit family here tho.

Im not fussed whether we purchase established or not, however Mrs Rix would ideally like to build so she has all the appointments she wants.

If we were to build ideally would like it somewhere within 5km -10km max from the ocean/waterway on say 2000m2 block. Room to keep boat & kids ride small trail bike on.

If we saw something established which ticks the boxes we would like to be of modern design, no older than 10 years old.

hmmm,

thats an interesting request list for the area, not many properties suit that description. As the escarpment has prevented development west of the coast there are few large blocks left. If you want land I think further south in Kanahooka, Dapto areas out the back (there is a valley that runs away from the ocean meaning much more land between the sea and the cliff) is where you will find them but up to 20 mins drive into Wollongong CBD and ocean. The development blocks in town that size cost more due to subdivision potential.

there are a few gems established houses tucked away on big blocks like this one for example. I would look at them rather than build but hey I just finished my own build and Im exhausted!!!(getting the appointments right for mrs is tricky on a budget)

Best of luck with it Rix

edit: now i cant stop looking!

this looks interesting if u want a really big pool or this if u wanna spend all the money on the house

hmmm,

thats an interesting request list for the area, not many properties suit that description. As the escarpment has prevented development west of the coast there are few large blocks left. If you want land I think further south in Kanahooka, Dapto areas out the back (there is a valley that runs away from the ocean meaning much more land between the sea and the cliff) is where you will find them but up to 20 mins drive into Wollongong CBD and ocean. The development blocks in town that size cost more due to subdivision potential.

there are a few gems established houses tucked away on big blocks like this one for example. I would look at them rather than build but hey I just finished my own build and Im exhausted!!!(getting the appointments right for mrs is tricky on a budget)

Best of luck with it Rix

THats the wish list .......we are flexible depending upon whats available at the time. It doesnt have to be on 2000m2. We might find something in built up suburbia with room for boat. That link looks nice too,,thanks.

Easy access/commute to good infrastructure and major Shopping, Public Transport, Recreational, Educational & Medical facilities.

As stated above the 2000m2 is going to be a tuff find. This is for sale in may friends estate (Rhodanella Estate) and if you can get over the pink it look ok. Estates like this may be your only option for larger blocks and new a new build makes it even harder to achieve but not impossible.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-kanahooka-107485017

Back