Wooden Granny Flat

Hi, I'm looking at building a granny flat in my backyard.

I have talked to a couple of manufacturers in China and received quotes for a 37sqm, 1br wooden granny flat. The prices are quite good. Just wondering if something like this would comply to Australian Building Codes? I don't see why it wouldn't. See attached pics for very similar buildings. This is essentially what I'll get.

They supply the house only, without any internal fittings, but including doors, locks, windows, roofing, floor (not floor coverings). They can for extra cost fit it out but I'd rather do that myself. Apparently easy to erect. Just follow basic instructions.

What do you all think about this kind of granny flat? Anyone had any experience.

I think they look and feel pretty cool, and with a price that I can't argue with.

24fwf43.jpg

35bsgif.jpg

5lc2du.jpg

t69fn7.jpg

2mg3tps.jpg

p943p.jpg

Oh really. I thought they looked alright, esp compared to the eps panel granny flats. What is it about it you don't like?

I have quotes ranging from $9,000 - $13,000USD inc delivery to Melbourne. Thicker walls than those shown (75mm). Seems like they'd be sturdy.

You've obviously been given some specifications. I guess take them to either your Council, or a private certifier and find out if it will meet the requirements.

Remember that you've got to fit out the thing & will need a plumber & electrician as well, so, while that price sounds good, there is still a lot left to pay.

Yes, take the specs to the council, that's the obvious thing to do. In reality I'm probably not looking at getting this rolling till 2014...just testing the waters atm. So guess that will have to be done at a later date.

And yes, I've factored in all that's left to pay. Foundations, septic, connection to services, contractors, wiring and plumbing, lighting, hot water sys, council fees etc plus kitchen, bathroom and floor coverings. I've probably forgotten something there, but I assure you, I across all the relevant costs.

Im pretty sure I'll be able to internally fit it out for $4,000 easily inc kitchen, shower, toilet, wash basin/vanity unit, floating floorboards/carpet, tiling (bathroom). I'll be able to do some of the work myself as I'm familiar with renovating, and by sourcing items through ebay/trading post/gumtree I can save a fortune.

All seems good to me. Im not expecting to buy this and fit it out for $15,000, plonk it in my backyard and move in. I understand im looking at maybe $50,000+ by time of completion. The point of this thread was more about the type of granny flat.

looks like an oversized cubby house
doesn't look lik eit will last more than a month in our weather
not to mention a huge fire hazard

It also looks like the insulation properties are close to zero

Not my cup of tea, but then again if it's done properly, is certified and livable then I don't see why it wouldn't be a good alternative to the brick and clad g/flats. The ongoing painting maintenance could be something to keep in mind however, and I'd be choosing aluminium window and door frames over timber if possible. Best of luck with the build!

Looks like a lot of work to get it up to standard.

The ceiling height looks very low, there appears to be no internal walls (the electrical cables are all run in visible conduit). Is the timber termite treated? I can't see how this would comply and that's before considering BASIX. From the looks it would be an absolute sweat box in the summer and an ice box in the winter. Painting exposed timber like that would be an absolute nightmare. It looks very temporary.... And like an oversized cubby house. Apart from these minor issues though it should be fine.

Just my opinion.

What do you want it for?

If it's a space for a teenager to make noise outside the house, fine.

If it's to rent out- I wouldn't go in that direction at all.

Several people have already said that it looks cheap. Potential renters would see it that way as well. And, as ponted out, not insulated well and not able to be insulated well.

And it is small. 37sqm is tiny really. In NSW you can put in a granny flat up to 60sqm. For a one bedroom, 45sqm is probably barely OK. With 60sqm you could squeeze in a 2br unit and get better rent from it.

Wood would last a lot less time than a brick on slab.

I would be suggesting that you try to borrow to get a good standard, good size structure which will attract tenants (if that is the aim) and which will retain value for a good many more years than what you are looking at.

You might be looking at more like $100k for something like that. But you will get a higher rent for many more years. With a lot less maintenance.

Last edited:
I think there was a post some time ago with the same GF pic.
Is this the one with toilet door into kitchen which was discussed last time.

And a higher quality building that fits with the existing house will increase the value of the total property far more.

Well.....to be fair, we haven't seen the existing house, and we don't know whereabouts the house it. It could be a Mansion in an upmarket area, in which case your comment is a valid one. Or.....it could be a small 3 bedder in a regional town, which could make the cost of constructing a 'typical' unit out the back prohibitive, in the sense of value.

So, lets not all jump to conclusions about the value add of this thing. I know where I am, that constuctiing a nice, new unit for around $100k WILL NOT increase the value of the home by $100k. I also know that the unit in the photo's would probably rent with ease. It's not to MY liking, but I'm never going to be the renter. It is nicer than some that I have seen which DO rent & they still get good prices for them.

My only concern with this project would be:
1) Will the Council approve it?
2) How much will it cost to complete? - Everything, warts & all.
3) IS THIS STRUCTURE RENTABLE IN THE AREA I AM THINKING OF PUTTING IT?
4) How much rent will it receive?
5) Is the amount of rent sufficient to make it worth my while, knowing full well, that there will be a bit more maintenance than a 'normal' flat. Also, please bear in mind that weatherboard is wood, so I would presume that this structure would need the same level of maintenance as such. Insides would be a bit more time consuming to paint (if that is what you will do) than Gyprock.

Oh really. I thought they looked alright, esp compared to the eps panel granny flats. What is it about it you don't like?

I have quotes ranging from $9,000 - $13,000USD inc delivery to Melbourne. Thicker walls than those shown (75mm). Seems like they'd be sturdy.

we now know what Granny Flats Galore galore charge. the photos you provided are the same ones they use on the site. :p

saiman:
I knew i would get this response, "it looks like and over sized cubby house". All i have to say to this is what is a cubby house? An undersized cabin. Im just making it full size again.
Fire hazard? So what about regular weatherboard homes? This doesnt go that much further...if a weatherboard home is fine, this is too.

jacque:
I was quoted for aluminium windows as thats what I specified. And yes, the ongoing maintainence is something to consider. And I have.

western sydney:
According to the manufacturer they have sold to Australia before and that they can build to meet Australian standards. This is just what they told me, and I dont know. Ceiling height i specified was 2.7m. I can make it whatever I choose without substantially changing the cost one way or the other. Of course the timber will be termite treated. It will have ALL necessary treatment to protect against all bugs and weather. Re the sweat box factor: I did think of this, but thought it would be alright. I mean, I think of log cabins in middle of an Alaskan winter being kept toasty warm from fire. I clearly dont know though. This could be a problem... hmmm.

Geoffw:
37sqm should be fine. I've not just chosen that size willie nillie. This is adequate for what I need and the space I have to work with.

Of course wood wont last as long, but with the proper maintenance I dont see why it wont last a fairly decent length of time.

skater:
Im far outer eastern suburbs or Melbourne, in the foothills of the Dandenongs.
1) Thats the big question. I dont see why it couldnt be brought up to standard though...yet.
2) From what I can tell (very early on) maybe $50,000 (to be generous).
3) I think it would be, judging by other 1br grannyflat/bungalows I have seen for rent over the past year. But I wouldnt be looking at renting it out to anyone for at least 5 or 6 years.
4) Again, from looking at similar type properties they are getting $200-$250. I could see this getting $150 no worries.
5) I thought the same thing. Is this not going to have a similar maintenance schedule to a weatherboard home?

stevet:
well no we dont. This is the price I got direct from manufacturer in China. GFGalore would probably charge double that. I just used a couple of their pics as they are a good example.

Thanks for all the replies so far...this is the kind of stuff I need.

I have talked to a couple of manufacturers in China and received quotes for a 37sqm, 1br wooden granny flat. The prices are quite good. Just wondering if something like this would comply to Australian Building Codes? I don't see why it wouldn't. See attached pics for very similar buildings. This is essentially what I'll get.

They supply the house only, without any internal fittings, but including doors, locks, windows, roofing, floor (not floor coverings). They can for extra cost fit it out but I'd rather do that myself. Apparently easy to erect. Just follow basic instructions.

What do you all think about this kind of granny flat? Anyone had any experience.

I think they look and feel pretty cool, and with a price that I can't argue with.

I don't mind them - they remind me of Alp/mountain cabins.

I feel like singing Eidelwiess at the moment.

Make sure it meets the minimum size for a dwelling - in WA I think it's 40sqm - so just make sure it complies with your laws. Then make sure it complies with granny flat regs for your Council and Building laws.

These may appeal to more hippy types or holiday accomodation type areas but as long as it's built well - much like a kit home - then it could be an option. Also you should note that like Ikea furniture instructions might not be that easy even though Ikea reckon they are. You will end up with left over Part64 and have to drill holes in Part106. Customer service from China if you run into difficulty might be difficult.

Also factor in that you will need to get it through customs. Bringing wooden items into the country will require your kidney and a lung from a loved one. You will need to pay import, gst and customs duties and possibly storage fees on the wharf if you need to have those sorted before it's released.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're building for yourself to live in and you don't mind people saying you live in an oversized cubby house then i guess its fine.

Believe it or not, people are concerned about what people say of them. I daresay most tenants would see that as an oversized cubby house and would not rent it in fear of being mocked. Theres a reason the saying "first impressions count" exists.

Sure if they were a crappy tenant who couldnt get a place anywhere else and the rent reflected, sure they might go for it. But do you really want the tenants that have been rejected by everyone else?

I quite like the look of them when it's painted, does look like a holiday cabin as westminster pointed out, I'm sure it would work well in certain areas and especially if you are getting a sufficient discount to other options. As with most properties 'it depends!'

When you see the conditions that a lot of reasonable tenants are prepared to live in I don't see why getting tenants would be a problem unless you are seeking an exclusive rent in an exclusive area in which case you might not be thinking granny flat anyhow.

]

I would like to share my personal overseas experience in this question.
Had being director of a building and property development company in Russia I have gained some experience in wooden houses as well. Our company was aimed to construct modern, comfortable and economical holiday cottages for country recreation (dacha) in Moscow Area. Two main objectives were established in the project:
1. Modern and high-quality design and
2. Very competitive prices being attained by means of simplified but elaborated designs and standardised assembly technology of precast houses sets.
Most of houses were built from prefabricated glulam (glue laminated beam), however some of them were timber framed ones. Whether we succeeded in it or not, everybody can decide themselves having a look at attached pictures.

I believe that wooden house (made from logs or glulam) can be built in the line with contemporary design and standards. This is one of building technologies which has its pros and cons. And many people over the world (in Canada, Finland, Germany, Russia et al) prefer these "pretty CRAP" to brick and concrete houses. As regards "zero insulating properties", it sounds as nonsense. Wooden houses are traditionally popular in cold North European counties and Canada. I will be ready to hear any "insulating" argument from Australian side when double glazing is mounted in our homes. But Australia does not recognise overseas experience and absolutely is not interested in it.

Some of advantages of wooden houses:
1. Technically it is a Lego set which is simple and quickly assembled.
2. Wood is natural material. Qualitative built houses look well and people feel quite comfortably in them.
3. Houses practically does not require finishing decoration.
4. They are warm in winter and chill during summer.
5. Price can be very attractive
6. Can be constructed on light basement.
7. Can be treated to fireproof, against rotting and pest hazards
8. ......

Drawbacks:
1. They are associated with country style.
2. Fire and termite hazards
3. Structure design of large houses gets complicated
4. Required of qualified carpentry
5. Hardly can be comply with Australian standards and BCA
6. ......

Nevertheless, I would not advise to build a wooden house at Australian backyard.
1. They are more suitable for country, low populated, natural area as holiday house. I would choose frame house for habitable dwelling for permanent use. It can be cheap and stylish.
2. Imported logs can not be treated against the AUS standards.
3. It is hardly can be complied with the quarantine service clearance requirements. Issue is not with customs, but with AQIS clearance.
4. Australians are very conservative (Sorry guys!). And if you even overcome all obstacles you will get in trouble with the nonstandard product.
5. And finally I have many doubts regarding Chinese quality in wooden house industry. They do not have traditions here. Check better European companies, they can ensure perfect quality (gluelam prices in Europe from $1000 to $2000 per m3 of timber).
Good luck.

Attachments

• WOODEN HOUSES.pdf
    711.2 KB · Views: 79
There is a lot of material being imported from China these days.
Some good, some not so good.
We looked at some of these kits for Cambodia but they are not strongly built and have issues with timber treatment for rot and pests.

I suggest that you price a oversize steel garage and adapt that to suit....say 36sqm.
Another option is to Ebay some treated framing timber and get a quote to build a proper frame and truss system that will easily pass Australian Standards and BCA.

As other posters have said, the imported products are attractive but end up costing more to comply.

Have a go at DIY and make a good progress & budget plan before you start.
With careful planning & purchasing you should be able to make a strong, simple structure that complies with local codes.

Good luck!

Back