Woodville West Torrens 1500m2 Development

West Torrens 1500m2 Development

I generally ask my tenants to keep an eye out for me... and a house adjacent to an IP has come up for sale!

I've not done development before so I'm jumping headfirst into a new pool of numbers here. I'm hoping anyone with experience in 3-5 dwelling developments might be able to help.

This purchase would give me a combined 1500m2 area in West Torrens Policy Area 40.

What I found interesting is the minimum frontage means that these blocks separately (in fact none of the houses in the street) can be subdivided. So to my thinking that would lower their individual value and further increase the value of a 34m wide double block!

I know West Torrens is quite a conservative council, however can I assume the 9m frontage is for fully split blocks only? The policy states 270m2 per dwelling. Is it possible to get 4 or 5 dwellings on this block with a single-driveway development (units, townhouses or villas)? If so, what sort of costs would I be looking at?

Another issue is that these houses are listed as "Contributory Items". The gist is rather vague but it sounds like any development needs to be aesthetically sympathetic to the area. I'm hoping it won't be an actual obstacle to redevelopment.

Would really appreciate any input from anyone who has done something similar under a similar Policy or even in West Torrens.

Last edited:
Hi Softmonkey,

I'm about to get my full DA through for 3x 2 story units on a block in Plympton which is also West torrens area policy 40. My site is 970m2 and although i have jumped through a fair few hoops and it has taken most of this yr i have been told that i will get my permit beginning of december (fingers crossed). It has just come back from advertising and there have been no objections so now it goes to the development assessment panel to be finalised.

Being West torrens it will take you a long time and be very frustrating but having 1500m2 it will be well worth your while. Get a good designer (i can pass mine on to you) first up and go from there. Also make sure you take notice of what is being done in the area and that will give you an idea of what the precedent is for the area. Following that i would take a rough design in to the planning officer at the council (make an appointment) and sit down and talk it through with them.

Do all that and you'll have a great idea whether you should proceed or not.

Good luck and sing out if you need a hand.

Morty

Ummmmmm Woodville West is Charles Sturt Council softmonkey, so perhaps you'd be better off reading this guideline. ;)

Just checked, it is indeed "West Torrens". Maybe I'm subconsciously an Eagles supporter! So I fluffed up the Thread Title but the body is correct. (If a Mod can remove "Woodville" please do thanks).

I'm about to get my full DA through for 3x 2 story units on a block in Plympton which is also West torrens area policy 40.

Thanks for the tips Morty, I think I'll follow your advice but starting with the council. It's good to hear your process has gone relatively smoothly so far, hope it concludes well.

Of course, it's ALWAYS the case that an opportunity presents itself just when you're about to go away on holidays. What's up with that?? :mad:

Spoke to the council planner.

The 1500m2 can have up to 5 dwellings put on it, with a 9m frontage only applicable to the front-most one.

Turns out the "Contributory Item" listing doesn't apply any more. West Torrens Council simply decided to remove these listings not long after they'd applied them with such fanfare. Of course without informing property owners in any way. :rolleyes:

Back