Working for the UN ?

Working for the UN ?

Does anyone here work for the UN or knows anyone who does ?
I was keen to explore the possibility of a non-field position (in analysis or IT related)...has some perks

a. do something meaningful
b. travel
c. tax free USD$

i am sure there could be some drawbacks...firstly, i have heard its tough to get in

I don't know anyone who works there but I would love to work in public information in their New York office

Yes, it's extraordinarily competitive - the positions in "prestige" cities like Paris and New York even more so. Their offices in third world or war-torn countries are apparently marginally easier to get into :p

I do plan to try and apply once my husband has finished his medical studies here. You should give it a shot - nothing to lose really :)

Does anyone here work for the UN or knows anyone who does ?
I know a few.... but they don't know me :cool:

One step removed uncle-in-law was a diplomat. I think he lives in Canada though :)

I think working in an embassy might give better chance to get in there.

I know one or two who work in that industry (incl. UN).

VERY difficult to get in. A mate of mine, her resume before applying was quite phenomenal to start with, and for the pay you would think there would be less competition.

She WAS travelling almost every month, however the lifestyle took its toll on her. The roles where you fly around saving the world aren't the healthiest for extended periods of time.

I had a client years ago based in Europe, but his brother did most of the dealings on his behalf. Certainly the income is in tax free USD (and quite good). Unfortuantely I lost track of him as he bounced from one place to another.

Only 1 person and he worked first in Geneva and then Africa somewhere.

The wife lived here as she had her own career but he insisted on taking the job, so instead she would visit him twice a year while he did the same in visiting her.

What ended up happening however was that he ended up commencing an affair with an African girl who he later married after divorcing the wife.

Only months later the husbands wife's sister died of AIDS and he is now 60, living in Africa with a new wife and has 5 children - and is not happy according to his wife who still receives calls from a husband who is miserable and full of regret.

Obviously very committed to UN principles :eek:.

Actually from my mates experience the whole, fooling around and affairs is somewhat rampant in the industry.

She may be exagerating, however doesn't surprise me as these things happen in my industry (living away from home) surprisingly often as well.

I don't know anyone who works there but I would love to work in public information in their New York office

Yes, it's extraordinarily competitive - the positions in "prestige" cities like Paris and New York even more so. Their offices in third world or war-torn countries are apparently marginally easier to get into :p

I do plan to try and apply once my husband has finished his medical studies here. You should give it a shot - nothing to lose really :)

ya, will find out more.
did stumble upon http://www.unaa.org.au/

Back