Would gas cooking/HWS add value to property?

My IP only have electric cooking/HWS.

Would upgrading it to gas cooking/HWS add value to property? It cost roughly $5000 to get the pipe in from the street, plus appliance cost.

Does not having gas cooking turn off some potential tenants?

I'm currently renovating an IP in Regional Vic. I currently have gas stove and heating (on bottled gas), elec hot water, but it is free here to get the gas main put in.

I got a quote to convert the heater and stove to natural gas and put a gas hot water unit in for just over $1000 after rebates.

The REA told me that tenants don't like bottled gas as it's so much dearer compared to the mains gas, and said it's a no brainer to get it connected at that price.

In your case I think these 2 questions are the main ones to ask;
What it the main source of heating? Does your hot water need upgrading?

Spending $5000 so that your tenant can get the wok out once a week on the gas cook top isn't IMO a good investment.

Talk to your PM and get another quote.

In your case I think these 2 questions are the main ones to ask;
What it the main source of heating? Does your hot water need upgrading?

Spending $5000 so that your tenant can get the wok out once a week on the gas cook top isn't IMO a good investment.

Talk to your PM and get another quote.

The $5000 I was told was due to high price of copper. There's about 35m run from the street to the granny flat. It's going to benefit 2 houses as front house is also on electric only.

The $5000 I was told was due to high price of copper. There's about 35m run from the street to the granny flat. It's going to benefit 2 houses as front house is also on electric only.

I just had some gas work done. Copper is only used where the pipe is visible (i.e., open to weather) everywhere else is yellow PVC pipe. That 35m run would be PVC. The main cost would be trenching. You could save a lot of money by digging it yourself, but it's hard work. :(

Having gas connected at the moment. $125 from Jemena for connection from street to house, and $1500 for plumber to run pipework and connect gas cooktop.

As for spending $5k to install to an IP, unless its an expected inclusion eg high end apartment, dont bother. No ROI

I would add that in some areas having gas cooking makes a place more rentable & requiring less maintenance esp where Asian or Indian cuisines are the norm - Indian cooking and electric elements don't mix causing the elements to burn out regularly.

Depends on area, one of my properties is in a big Indian area and the real estate agent said most Indians wouldn't even look at a property if it didn't have had connected.

I ended up not getting gas connected and found a young Aussie couple. Still not sure how much truth was in what the agent said though..

Back