Would you buy property opposite primary school?

Just wanting people's opinions - would you buy a property directly opposite a good primary school and also has a bus route passing in font of your house?

Depends on the quality of the school. If it is a sought after primary school then absolutely. Even if it is a dodgy one it should be easy to rent out

Depends on the quality of the school. If it is a sought after primary school then absolutely. Even if it is a dodgy one it should be easy to rent out

This is a property that would be a PPOR (not to be rented out). Would your opinion change then?

This is a property that would be a PPOR (not to be rented out). Would your opinion change then?

I personally wouldn't due to the noise and traffic. Suppose if you had primary school aged children who would attend the school for a number of years it could be useful, but I'd rather live down the road from it or around the corner than directly opposite it.

...would you buy a property directly opposite a good primary school

In a word, NO. Most people want to be close to schools, transport, hospitals, shops etc. - not opposite, backing onto, or siding onto them.

Additionally, when (if) it comes to resale, potential buyers will be doing the same thing you are now....asking, wondering etc.

And can you image listening to those bells several times a day. We can hear our local schools and its well over 700 metres away.

Plus, parking during the mornings and afternoons will be bad. Get ready to be parked in by late parents.

Just wanting people's opinions - would you buy a property directly opposite a good primary school and also has a bus route passing in font of your house?

Yes. I have owned an IP (later my PPOR) which 'sides' onto a primary school. As my son attended the school when we lived there.... well, how convenient!

As for the 'noise', consider this... have you ever lived in the CBD?

I've done both, and I can assure you that CBD living is by far, noisier. So why don't people bag CBD living? Because it is central and convenient. Well, news flash! Living next to a school, public transport & local shops is also convenient if you have a family :rolleyes:

I'm not suggesting that every house next to a school is a good idea... far from it. If all the other DD stacks up, I definitely wouldn't pass it up for being next to a school... on the contrary, it was one of the reasons I bought a house in such a location.

But hey, I'm obviously out of step with most it seems...

Park outside at 2.30 until after the bell goes. That will give you an idea of what it's like.

I work in a school and get many complaints about parents parking across neighbours driveways. Bell noise, noisy kids on the oval and annoying dogs (houses back the oval).

The not being able to park in front of my own house I wouldn't like. And people sitting on your lawn while waiting for parents to pick them up etc.

Yes. I have owned an IP (later my PPOR) which 'sides' onto a primary school. As my son attended the school when we lived there.... well, how convenient!

As for the 'noise', consider this... have you ever lived in the CBD?

I've done both, and I can assure you that CBD living is by far, noisier. So why don't people bag CBD living? Because it is central and convenient. Well, news flash! Living next to a school, public transport & local shops is also convenient if you have a family :rolleyes:

I'm not suggesting that every house next to a school is a good idea... far from it. If all the other DD stacks up, I definitely wouldn't pass it up for being next to a school... on the contrary, it was one of the reasons I bought a house in such a location.

But hey, I'm obviously out of step with most it seems...
Indifference, I do seem to agree with you as well. But the others do have a point. For a primary school, I wouldn't mind. For a high school, that is a different story .................

females in 4wd's will end up sending you to the nut farm..........traffic am and pm, kids yelling daily during breaks..........etc etc....been there done that, putrid!!

if your not a shift worker it may not be an issue.

if your not a green finger it may work ok...........

Last edited:
It depends on the house and the school in question.

For an IP, it wouldn't bother me. For a PPOR it would like depend on number of other factors, but it wouldn't put me off particularly. Especially if it were a primary school - they tend to have quieter PA and bell systems and are 'generally' smaller; High schools can be alot more problematic.

I wouldn't want to live in one of the houses directly oppersite my DD preschool (which is part of the primary school campus). People drive on their lawns and block their driveways at pick up and drop off. But the houses 20metres up the road would be alright (people here must be too lazy to walk 20m in that direction). But I would buy any of them as an IP.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about the bus route than the primary school. We have friends who live opposite our local school and they love it (primary aged children, it's true) - their house also has a solid head-high brick wall in front.
But one of my absoloute no-goes is a bus route. IMHO, that's always going to be a busy road, day and night, whatever happens - and often 7 days a week. And the first up for widening or other expansion.
But that's just my 2 cents.

are you kidding?!?!?!

i'd buy it straight up! bus route et al.

do you know the kind of premium rentals acheive for being NEAR a school, let alone OPPOSITE? bluddy hell, i can't believe there's even a debate about this.

even if you don't get a family, the grandparents sometimes what to live over the road for after school care.

so many options!

are you kidding?!?!?!

i'd buy it straight up! bus route et al.

do you know the kind of premium rentals acheive for being NEAR a school, let alone OPPOSITE? bluddy hell, i can't believe there's even a debate about this.

even if you don't get a family, the grandparents sometimes what to live over the road for after school care.

so many options!

I agree to some point but i look at it differently...if your buying a rental then you may receive a small premium for a school nearby or a bus stop outside but where you can easily come undone is when you go to resell..........

If someone was looking for an owner occupied home it may well be a different story to offload......

I for one would not purchase to live on a bus route/school area..

I think you must consider the future sell opportunities rather than an extra ten bucks in your pocket today especially if you need to unload the property quickly...you may be limiting your buyers.

For sure some owner occupied buyers will want the place but i think that is not the norm.....people want peace and quiet usually

Short answer- it depends. On the school of course :D

Years ago we lived opposite a primary school and found it enormously beneficial when family events allowed us the luxury of using their gorgeous well kept oval for day long cricket matches (and yes, for those of you who know me, I was a mere spectator or "drinks girl" keeping all the players hydrated!).

The noise of lunch bells and children didn't really concern me as I was at work after all (teaching in a neighbouring school :D) - parking wasn't a real problem as it was confined to two short periods of the day in which I wasn't there, and I actually quite enjoyed the fetes and fireworks that were held annually.

However, with schools all now appropriately fenced I can see that there are downsides but it really didn't concern me at the time, even if I hadn't had weekend usage of the pitch ;)

Some of my clients want to avoid backing onto schools or being right next door for most of the reasons already cited here but the main ones are traffic/parking and noise issues. Personal choice at the end of the day.
My brother used to get his driveway parked across on an almost daily basis when he lived opposite a lovely little school but the upside was his wife could hear if their children were being called to the principals office via the PA :D

Living closeby as distinct to next door or opposite could be a positive for a primary school. For a secondary school with teenagers would not want to be anywhere close. Like wise the bus. At the end of the street or around the corner would be great.

Back