Would you paint these tiles?

Hi

need to do a quick n cheap reno to an IP and just wanted your views on whether you'd attempt a gloss white tile paint job on these tiles..or leave alone?? These are in the shower too (wall only).

FYI, I've never had tiles painted before by others or done it myself.

Greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Tx

Attachments

• P1010081.jpg
    P1010081.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 118
Painted tiles look bad. Better off painting the horrible walls a warm neutral to make the tiles fade into teh background

Agree with DaveMSydney :) DIY Painted tiles DO look horrible. Painting walls is the easiest option here. It would make a much better impression.
However, professional resurfaced tiles do look good. I think that they have a good deal more equipment than your average DYI'er to get a much better result. Ventilation tubes, professional masking up, really good quality spray guns, two pack paint and they are buffed to a high gloss. Not all that expensive for the result they produce.
Have a look for better curtain options for the shower. That will add the biggest visual impact. Do some research on options here, because there are a variety that would give a more modern feel. Depends on how much you can spend.

Last edited:
A cheap blind from Spotlight would also make a big difference, I'd go a plastic venetian. Netting shouldn't be in bathrooms unless they are stuck in the 80's. You just don't need it.

Yes I'll be giving blinds, paint a complete makeover where reqd. The vanity too has a couple of drawers missing (photo attached). Guessing I can't buy those anywhere without having to buy the entire vanity. Because then I'll probably need someone to install the vanity. I can at least install a coupleof drawers :) ...if I can find them.

For the door to replace the shower curtain, that will be an absolute b--ch due to custom sizing, hinging etc. Could call someone but trying to minimise number of trades.

Attachments

• P1010082.jpg
    P1010082.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 59
Yep, best left to a professional anyway, especially if you are installing glass. Just my opinion.
Don't be too worried about DYI. It isn't rocket science, and if you know which jobs you need to back away from it is better. Removing the nett curtain and replacing it with a Spotlight special venetian is easy. You will need a drill and drill bits. Measure where you need the hole, mark with pencil, Drill a hole in using a drill bit of an appropriate size for the screw and screw it up. Fairly simple.
Painting, go for a well known popular 'white based' paint. Wash the room down with sugar soap, then do your preparation (filling holes and sanding) and wipe down again to remove dust. Don't forget the ceiling. If you have a bathroom heater/ fan it should have clips. Generally you need to turn the lights off. Unscrew and remove the bulbs, then undo the clips (undoing the clips first can cause the bulbs to break and they are expensive). Paint the ceiling, then the walls, then any trims. Use a specailised cutting in brush, and a cutting in roller thing (basically a pad, with wheels on the side, and a grip hold that can shift depending on the angle you are painting). It helps with getting a straight line.
Ring someone to professionally resurface the tiles, during this time. Make sure painting is finished before they are due to come.
Get the shower screen fitted after the resurface is done.
Don't forget a towel rail.

Well, that is how I'd go about it. Just thinking out loud. But I'm still a novice.

Thanks. If I can find a door to install in place of the shower curtain, might work but I'm useless when it comes to DIY.

If you are useless at DIY, you should budget to use professionals. Otherwise you end up with an awful result, and have to redo it anyway. I'm in this category, and speak from experience!!
It means that renos end up being more expensive, but in the end, its better value..

Thanks Ruff Inv/pennyK

the real problem is I like saving dollars but even more like someone else to do it. I'm a very good armchair investor. Def think you're right about the resurfacing and will go head with that but the shower curtain's a bit of a problem. No idea how I keep that under say, $150 including labour.

A vanity is basically just a piece of furniture with pipes in it. For $307 we got one, and had it replaced. It does require a little bit of plumbing knowledge. But it isn't hard. You would need a hole saw attachment on your drill to cut new holes in the back of a new vanity. You would also need to cap off the pipes, using end caps of the right diameter. If you are unsure which diameter, buy the two closest and return the ones that are unused. Remove, replace. May as well change the washers while you are there. It is only a couple of hours work, for someone who knows what they are doing. If you aren't confident, ring a plumber. They are worth calling in for a few hours, if you can get one to do a little job like that.

But if you can find draws it would be cheaper, and the vanity looks modern and new. It would be a shame to replace it just because you can't find the draws.

If you aren't a DYI'er, seriously ask a tradie. It will save you heaps of time and stress in the long run. It will also mean that you will have a more professional finish, which is better to rent/sell.

Back