Would you rent to 6 people all under 20 years of age?

I have a 6 bedroom house available for rental in Sydney's affluent North Shore. The house with worth approx 1.5mill will pool etc. The house has been vacant for the past month and we are eager to rent it out.

A director of a small company in Newcastle recently visited the property and thought it would it would be the perfect property for their staff. It wil be the company's first syd office and newcastle staff would be hired for the syd office.

6 of its staff are to be on a 6 month lease. The oldest being 20 years old!!! Will you do it?

I havent had much luck with applications, July is often the quiet month right?

Not sure if i should wait til things pick up in Aug. Or rent it out to the kids for 6 months. The lease would expire in Jan when most people look for rentals.

i would probably not do it.... i would be most worried about the parties and disturbance to neighbours.

If you do decide to do it, a cleaner as buzz suggests is probably a good idea, however on a house of that size i imagine the bond at 4 weeks would be substantial and probably enough to cover any damage.

Check with your council.

There is a limit to the number of unrelated people who share a house before it becomes subject to boarding house rules and more rigorous fire safety regulations and council conditions.
Marg

Let's have a look at this more closely.
There's 6 adolescents from Newcastle who are going to live 60 minutes from home.
Assumptions and questions that would be going through my head.

- what sort of company would ask 6 teenagers to move town to open a new office. a cold canvassing door to door operation, manual car wash, fast food restaurant, brothel?

- how stable an employee would a teenager be living away from home. what happens if 2 or 3 of them get homesick and quit.

- who is the lessee? the kids or the company?

- 6 teenagers who have never been away from home before isn't likely to work well for long.

- most young tenants are ignorant of how to maintain a pool or landscaping, or do regular housework. if you have carpet, count on it needing to be replaced.

- if you have a fireplace, count on the house being filled with smoke and carpet burnt.

I have rented extensively to uni students before. I have put the parents' and students' name on the lease. This way, if anything goes wrong, everyone goes on tica and you can legally pursue the parents for damages. I also ask for 2 mths bond, and spell out additional clauses on teh contract. no noise distbances after 10pm, 2 parties per annum (neighbours given 1 week's notice), no visitors cars on the footpath or grass, no visitors staying more than 2 nights per month. etc etc

A director of a small company in Newcastle recently visited the property and thought it would it would be the perfect property for their staff.

Is the company going to be the lessee? If so, I'd do it. It's only 6 months anyhow. It's better than paying the mortgage out of your own pocket while waiting for another tenant. Also, as you said yourself, come 6 months time is a busier rental period anyway :)

I have rented extensively to uni students before. I have put the parents' and students' name on the lease. This way, if anything goes wrong, everyone goes on tica and you can legally pursue the parents for damages. I also ask for 2 mths bond, and spell out additional clauses on teh contract.(snip) etc etc

Isn't there a law/rule that says tenants can have enjoyment of their 'own' home? Are you certain those items you've listed are enforcable?

"no visitors cars on the footpath or grass, no visitors staying more than 2 nights per month. etc etc"

I'm not sure you can put conditions on your lease covering property which you dont own ie "the footpath".

I wouldnt.
If I was a teenager, living away from home, in a luxury fab place, with 5 of my work buddies..... the place would look like animal house.. and I'd love it.. not caring a jot about the landlord or their place.

Have you contacted executive rental agencies? fully furnished a place like yours would be very attractive to a top exec and his/her family and get top dollar as well.

Let's have a look at this more closely.
There's 6 adolescents from Newcastle who are going to live 60 minutes from home.
Assumptions and questions that would be going through my head.

- what sort of company would ask 6 teenagers to move town to open a new office. a cold canvassing door to door operation, manual car wash, fast food restaurant, brothel?

- how stable an employee would a teenager be living away from home. what happens if 2 or 3 of them get homesick and quit.

- who is the lessee? the kids or the company?

- 6 teenagers who have never been away from home before isn't likely to work well for long.

- most young tenants are ignorant of how to maintain a pool or landscaping, or do regular housework. if you have carpet, count on it needing to be replaced.

- if you have a fireplace, count on the house being filled with smoke and carpet burnt.

I have rented extensively to uni students before. I have put the parents' and students' name on the lease. This way, if anything goes wrong, everyone goes on tica and you can legally pursue the parents for damages. I also ask for 2 mths bond, and spell out additional clauses on teh contract. no noise distbances after 10pm, 2 parties per annum (neighbours given 1 week's notice), no visitors cars on the footpath or grass, no visitors staying more than 2 nights per month. etc etc

Excellent questions Winston,

I'd be taking this seriously, JC.

Regards Jo

No way. They couldn't pay me enough to rent a house to them. Well, maybe a million dollars a week would persuade me but nothing less.

What suburb is it in? You should be able to rent in north shore no problems at all. Just drop the rent $50 or so. Would save you more hassles in the long run and tenant troubles. All you need is one smoker and you'll smell it throughout your house, even if they smoke outside. And the parties.... reckon their mates would just drive down for the day from Newc?

You're not alone in having place empty. Landlords have taken advantage of this supposed rental squeeze and jacked their rents up faster than a rocket out of Cape Canaveral. So I hear theres been a tenant revolt and the higher ends just aren't moving cos rents aren't being dropped. I reckon its a great opportunity to low ball some desperate landlords and bag a cheap executive rental.

No way would I do that for market rent; and I do own a 6 bedroom house rented out to 6 under 20yos, but I do that with a substantial rent premium.

Interesting attitude towards young people I see here.
I'm sure you would be the first to complain if you have kids and were pre-judged and treated in the same manner.

Interesting attitude towards young people I see here.
I'm sure you would be the first to complain if you have kids and were pre-judged and treated in the same manner.

So would you rent your house worth $1.5M to 6 young people under 20 years of age or not ?

Do not read what pple are sying as an outright indictment against "young people", some of us are not that old ourselves.

What I see is a bunch of self centered negative judgemental black or white statements that you would probably find offensive if anyone treated your sons or daughters in the same way.
Maybe you are judging them based on yourselves?

fair enough, maybe answers are black & white, but the queston was a sort of y/n question

which you haven't answered answered yet btw ;-)

Back