Would you rewire?

Hi all,

I own a IP (a run down 1950's weatherboard in Albion (Sunshine) Victoria)..It has character as they say and will look good once restumped, painted, polished floorboards etc...

It would be my first reno and I am wondering whether I need to rewire the house...On the grounds that I "want to add more in perceived value than actual cost" is it worth me rewiring the property or should I just make purely cosmetic changes...

Any advice welcome

Cheers Andrew

Get a sparky to check it over, if he says yes then get a few other sparky's to give you a second opinion and a quote.

It's not something you would do unless there was a need and if you get told it does need rewiring then you don't really have a choice, it's just one of those things that come with buying older houses. And yes it is a lot to spend with next to no return other than the reassurance that you have a safe house and you have done the right thing.

If you don't rewire and the place burns down and you have carried out renovations to the property the insurance company will want to see a certificate of currency from your electrician. If the fire was caused by an electrical fault surprise surprise wanna bet the insurance company will have a slick clause that leaves you in tears:eek:

By far the best option is to get a sparky to install a safety switch rather than rewire. They will tell you if the wiring is so bad they can't even fit a safety switch. Rewiring will be $5k to $10k and adds nothing to the value of the house.

I agree with James Allen; if it needs doing, you have to do it, even if it doesn't add any value. If it doesn't need doing, then definitely don't!

If it doesn't need doing, dont do it. Not enough bang for your buck.

But you could install new GPO's (power points) and light switches and maybe light fittings. Makes the place look a lot better, especially in an older place.

Most people in the know just lift the meter box lid and check it out there. That's the give away.

If it needs a rewire, you have to do it so there's no decision to be made really.

Thanks for all the advice guys..I have had a safety switch installed...Would you consider this sufficient?

The safety switch would be a start,just for peace of mind and to be on the safe side, have a sparky do a check up in the roof and see if the wire is safe for a house in that age range it would pay to check that..

Look at it this way if this property is going to be renter then it's better to have the whole place rewired in one go,cost wise,rather then have that problem with tenants in the place,and cause problems for yourself..
imho..willair..

I have seen some pretty nasty stuff from old wiring and have had some pretty close shaves with it. The older black-sheathed insulation simply falls off the wires with very little coercion, much like a slow-roasted lamb should fall off the bone when done to perfection.

If the cable is to lay dormant and is not subject to mechanical stresses, modifications, rats, mice, possums, etc. Then chances are it will be okay. Having said that if you truly value your tenant's (and asset's) safety it's worth rewiring if you can afford to.

At a bare minimum I would be replacing the switchboard so that it has both circuit-breaker and safety switch (RCD) protection. I would also run protective earth wires to every lighting point as this was neglected in many earlier installations, hence rendering the RCD useless should an earth-leakage fault occur on a light.

For a domestic switchboard upgrade you're looking in the vicinity of $800-$1500 depending on it's complexity. The cost of a rewire is likely to be upwards of $5k.

Andrew,

Being an ex-sparky I would advise that there is no reason to spend money on a rewire unless there is a problem. If a safety switch has been installed and found to work OK this would be all I would do.

However, if there have been substantial works done (either by me or prior to me) and there are clear signs that this work was not undertaken by a professional such as non-compliant cable use, joins in the roof without junction boxes, different coloured cable between points. and so forth it may be worthwhile having the installation assessed and the non-compliant cabling replaced rather than a full rewire.

It should also be noted that a number of techniques were being used for the installation of cabling during the 1950's including metal conduit. This type of installation is OK providing there have not been extensive works, and providing the earthing throughout is good. If the main installation is metal conduit and there is alot of new wiring also then this is one installation that I would be inclined to have rewired especiallly if there is a history of faults.

At the end of the day if the cabling has been installed according to code, a safety switch has been installed and tested OK, and there are no clear issues with the installation then there is no reason to rewire the property.

Regards

Andrew

Back