WWYD in this situation?

Hi All,

I had a tenant lined up to rent my unit out,now he has turned around and said he'll rent the unit in january and would put down a bond.He had a heart attack 2mnths ago and doctor has suggested he take a holiday.So,i said ok but in the meantime for the month your away,i'll charge half rent until you get back.He's balked at the half rent,so now i'm looking for a tenant.

I have not signed with an agency as yet and have put an add on gumnuts to gauge interest,to which i'm getting quite a few replies.The problem is,is that there are problem tenants in 1 of the units and they have been issued a notice to vacate,this could take 1-2weeks.

I am thinking of waiting it out until they vacate as it's going to turn off potential tenants.Anyone that comes around,they turn the music up etc and only last night smashed a mirror on a tenants car,tenant is 78 ffs,what the hell is wrong with these people???

Anyhow,would you wait until the problem tenants have vacated or advertise now?

Cheers Spades.

If you are going to wait for the current bad tenants to vacate then you might as well wait for the guy willing to rent in January and get him signing paperwork without charging him rent.

What kind of notice have the tenants at unit 1 been given? if it's a 14 day notice for rent arrears then the agent has to wait another 3 days after the notice has been issued before they can apply for a VCAT hearing and then they have to wait for a hearing date, once they get a hearing date then they have to be granted possession of the property which may be difficult depending on if they appear at the hearing and if they have paid any rent. Unfortunately this process will likely take at least a month.

You can always continue to look for a good tenant while this man is on holiday, if you find someone suitable then sign them up and the other guy misses out. It's up to you if you want to wait for him or not.

Advise the other tenants of the block to call the police if the tenants at unit 1 are causing damage or being excessively noisy.

Sorry, need a little more information before I can give any more relevant advice but the best advice I can give is let your agent handle it under your instruction.

Firstly Sez,thanks for the PM.

Hi Lil Skater,

Yes the majority of the tenants have contacted the police.

I have since contacted council to give tenants warning and keep a record of noise.

They are down to be evicted by the 18th of dec,so i'll see what happens.

Cheers Spades.

Back