Yields in Frankston & Frankston North- What do you think?

Interested in buying in either Frankston or Frankston North. Currently leaning towards Frankston.

Plenty of threads here on the potential CG which sounds promising so i've been looking into potential yields to see if these areas are a case of good CG "AND" yield not good CG "OR" yield. These are the kind of figures I've come up.

Frankston
$260k for a nice place on a decent block
$240 to $260 for rent
4.8% to 5.2% yield
Official stats are median rental yield of 4.5% and median price of $296,000

Frankston N
$230k for a nice place on a decent block
$220 for rent
4.9% yield
Official stats are median rental yield of 4.9% and median price of $229k

Do you think these yields are reasonably accurate and do you think they are good or bad?

I purchased my place in Frankston North 9 months ago for $218k spent another 3k cleaning the place up. Put it up for rent at $240per week and had 6 applications from the first open for inspection. Tenants moved in the following week. It's in a good spot, 2 mins walk from Seaford Hotel and Belvedere shops

Do you think these yields are reasonably accurate and do you think they are good or bad?

If you want a cashflow positive property - they are bad - even in this current low interest rate climate.

If you can find one which is cashflow positive after tax - they are almost not bad.

If you are happy to be neg geared on any old joint - they are good.

If you are investing for cap growth first, and cashflow second - they are probably good because the predictions are that Frangers will keep on going up, and the interest rates are currently very low.

The wild cards are if the rates go back up, and if the predicted growth doesn't occur.

If you want a cashflow positive property - they are bad - even in this current low interest rate climate.

If you can find one which is cashflow positive after tax - they are almost not bad.

If you are investing for cap growth first, and cashflow second - they are probably good because the predictions are that Frangers will keep on going up, and the interest rates are currently very low.

The wild cards are if the rates go back up, and if the predicted growth doesn't occur.

+1

I also think she is just trying to find out, if her figures for average yields are on the ball

Some very good points Bayview, thank you.

I was thinking of them as reasonably good cashflow wise but your comments have made me think twice.

Based on statistics (from http://www.investsmart.com.au/property/ ) top yields (cashflow) for houses in Melbourne are
Craigieburn 5.9%
Werribee 5.8%
Cranbourne West 5.6%
Narre Warren South 5.6%
Broadmeadows 5.5%

None of these are much better than a good yield in Frankston.

Given that Frankston is not a great cashflow positive area, which areas would you say are good for positive cashflow?

Some very good points Bayview, thank you.

I was thinking of them as reasonably good cashflow wise but your comments have made me think twice.
My opinion about what is good cashflow is just my opinion. There are plenty of others who think they are good yields - it all depends on what you want.
After you factor in that 20% of your rent is going to be eaten up in holding costs (and this is about right), unless you have some seriously good depreciation, and an interest rate below 5%, then a yield of even 5.5% is neg geared. I don't call that good.
I guess if you have the mindset that any money you throw at your property out of your pocket is a form of "forced savings", then it's a good thing.

I want cap growth, but I got fed up with neg cashflow keeping me chained to my properties and a PAYE job to supoport them. If I was a $250k+ per year PAYE earner, life would be a doddle and I wouldn't really care, but I'm not, so I do. Cashflow matters to me, so it's gotta be pos.

Given that Frankston is not a great cashflow positive area, which areas would you say are good for positive cashflow?
I have no idea. I haven't bought a property for 2 years, and the last one I bought was a block of land for a PPoR, and I've been looking at businesses ever since - cashflow returns on my investment dollars to get me out of the PAYE rat-race sooner.
My guess is if you want really good yields, you'll need to look out of cities and into regional areas. These can still be good for cap growth, and the yields are better as a rule.

banks know best

My guess is if you want really good yields, you'll need to look out of cities and into regional areas.

Ultra high yielding suburbs are like high yielding stocks. They don't last forever. The banks know it too and tailor their lending accordingly. Personally, I'd happily sacrifice 1% in yield for assured capital gain in 5 years time. No point buying a +ve yielding property that goes sideways or down in price.

Banks don't lend as much in regional areas. Why? Because regional areas are notoriously volatile, highly cyclical. Way too risky for conservative lenders, despite deceptively good yields. Try borrowing 95% for innercity Melbourne apartments or in regional Australia and the banks will reject you. Not so in Frankston, all the major banks seem to be bullish about the area. The banks, even the most conservative ones, have no problems lending to people who buy in Frankston. That should say something.

We all love positive cashflow. But we must be realistic in that it is almost impossible to obtain positive cashflow property in most beachside suburbs that are in major cities.

According to Bernard Salt, a well respected demographer, Australian beachside suburbs appreciate more than inland suburbs. Frankston is the highest yielding suburb as far as beachside goes....it has a university, major infrastructure and a government approved marina (which WILL be build, despite the protestations of the luddites).

Frankston is considered to be a hotspot by a number of property gurus including Terry Ryder and Peter Koulizos. At current prices, one does not need to be a Rhodes Scholar to figure that there is little downside and much upside. I'd happily sacrifice 1% in yield for assured capital gain in 5 years time.

I'm biased. My wife & I left Manly in Sydney to retire in Frankston. We own our own home here and have two other properties that are investments. Absolutely no regrets. My wife & I are both professional people and haven't encountered any bogans and/or criminals so far. Frankston been the best financial decision we have made thus far in our lives.

Last edited:
Ultra high yielding suburbs are like high yielding stocks. They don't last forever. The banks know it too and tailor their lending accordingly. Personally, I'd happily sacrifice 1% in yield for assured capital gain in 5 years time.
Cap agin is not assured. It's an educated guess - a prediction if you like. High yielding suburbs that don't last forever are this way because the cap gain catches up to the rent yields. ;)

No point buying a +ve yielding property that goes sideways or down in price.
I've always looked for areas that, while regional, show strong signs of future cap growth through the infrastructure plans and/or development, additional services being added such as new schools, hospitals, shopping malls, road improvements, new industry etc. cashflow pos doens't necessarily mean no cap growth. That is a myth.
The ones we have bought were not cashflow pos. They were cashflow pos after tax. Two different things, and the CPAT allows the return to turn pos much sooner as you invest the profits back into the loans and reduce the debt faster, while the neg cashflow people are still servicing the neg cashflow out of pocket.

Banks don't lend as much in regional areas. Why? Because regional areas are notoriously volatile, highly cyclical. Way too risky for conservative lenders, despite deceptively good yields. Try borrowing 95% for innercity Melbourne apartments or in regional Australia and the banks will reject you.
I don't try to borrow on 95% LVR's so there hasn't been an issue. If you want to use LVR's of 95% the cashflow will be neg no matter where you buy, and it's a precarious level of LVR.
A newbie with limited income and limited cash deposits would do just as well percentage-wise on their C.O.C return by using a bigger cash deposit on a cheaper regional with a bigger rent yield, than to saddle up for financial hardship by spending more closer to town, with higher LVR and higher neg cashflow and lower rental yield.

From how the first post read, I'd guess that is where Mindmaster's situation is at. Could be wrong; could be a 6-figure earning FHB, in which case this whole thread is a waste of time, because he/she has plenty of income to service 5% yields and 95% LVR's, and doesn't need our opinion.

Not so in Frankston, all the major banks seem to be bullish about the area. The banks, even the most conservative ones, have no problems lending to people who buy in Frankston. That should say something.
Frankston isn't regional - it is a City in it's own right. It just happens to not be in the myopic media's radar of what a Melb suburb is.

We all love positive cashflow. But we must be realistic in that it is almost impossible to obtain positive cashflow property in most beachside suburbs that are in major cities.
That's right. Never has been. But there are a million more areas in Aus to look at. The world doesn't revolve around bayside areas (unless you live in them like you and I, Yachtie ;))

According to Bernard Salt, a well respected demographer, Australian beachside suburbs appreciate more than inland suburbs. Frankston is the highest yielding suburb as far as beachside goes....it has a university, major infrastructure and a government approved marina (which WILL be build, despite the protestations of the luddites).
Cap appreciation is great, but no good if you can't afford to hold it until the cap growth occurs (and that's always an if when looking at 5 year windows - which is what many people look at - they get impatient if there is no growth in the first 5 years) due to the neg cashflow.

Frankston is considered to be a hotspot by a number of property gurus including Terry Ryder and Peter Koulizos. At current prices, one does not need to be a Rhodes Scholar to figure that there is little downside and much upside. I'd happily sacrifice 1% in yield for assured capital gain in 5 years time.
As long as your PAYE income is sufficient to support the neg cashflow until you get that "assured cap growth". It is not assured.

I'm biased. My wife & I left Manly in Sydney to retire in Frankston. We own our own home here and have two other properties that are investments. Absolutely no regrets. My wife & I are both professional people and haven't encountered any bogans and/or criminals so far. Frankston been the best financial decision we have made thus far in our lives.
I reckon it's great too. We bought a unit in Central Frangers in 2003, and it's gone up reasonably well. My s-i-l bought a house in The Pines the same year, and she's done very well. I wished I'd bought one there too.
Our unit was neg geared, but after tax it was only a few dollars. The rent yield was 6%, which at the time was not that bad

From how the first post read, I'd guess that is where Mindmaster's situation is at. Could be wrong; could be a 6-figure earning FHB, in which case this whole thread is a waste of time, because he/she has plenty of income to service 5% yields and 95% LVR's, and doesn't need our opinion.

My income is fairly low so I need to be careful of cashflow, hence my concern with yields. My LVR across my portfolio (Frankston IP will be No2 if i buy there) will be around 60% after the second IP so servicability will not be an issue.

At the moment I'm learning about and analzying my options and getting a better understanding of the two key factors, CG and yield. The replies from this thread have been very useful and far from a waste of time. There is a lot to learn from the opinions very knowledgeable people here. So thank you every one so far for your comments :)

Last edited:
My income is fairly low so I need to be careful of cashflow, hence my concern with yields. My LVR across my portfolio (Frankston IP will be No2 if i buy there) will be around 60% after the second IP so servicability will not be an issue.

Based on this, I'd say Frankston is a good choice for you.

Fairly safe LVR's, fairly safe bet about ongoing cap growth, and rental yields that are (in my opinion) a bit low, but manageable given the current interest rates.

Check out the other two threads on Frankston here; there is more than enough info to give you an informed view.

We just brought our second IP in Frankston which is currently tenanted and the tenants want to stay. Currently tenanted with a gross yield of 5.2% so the figures that you quoted look about on the mark.

I own a few in Frankston now, just purchased another place in Frankston North. Will be holding long term
Rents seem to be increasing and pushing alot of the remaining dregs into Carrum Downs and Cranbourne. Very happy

Back