You don't have to have much wealth to appear in Australian Property Magazine!!!

The real issue is not the people featured but the writers and the editor's (both mags) ignorance about investing and basic calcs and assumptions.
It can only appeal to those who havent done it before or a just lust for a bux.

API is in the business of selling advertising space. They do this through inspiring people. These stories can be inspiring.

I don't find a lot of the stories inspiring at all, but maybe because I'm no longer a novice investor. I understand that for the average investor that has one or two properties, or maybe even three or four, that the stories are inspiring. The magazine is all about appealing to the average or the wannabe investor.

I think there comes a time when you outgrow a magazine like this. Where you read the stories of someone who they hold up as successful and see that you have double or tripple the portfolio/equity/cashflow.

I especially remember one story that was printed years ago now. It was the story of one of the directors from a particular buyers agent group in Western Sydney. At the time we were living in a small ex-housing dept home and recovering from a very expensive lesson (a near bankruptcy) in Business and we had met with him at his home prior to the airing of the story. This meeting was not IP related, but something to do with Hubbies work at the time. His home was very impressive and he had spent quite a lot of money reno-ing it.

He had bought a few properties, and I believe he started at a similar time to us. There were photo's of his properties and the price paid for them. He had more than us, but he did start from a wealthier start than us, so that all helps. Anyway, I remember looking at the prices and thinking to myself "WOW, nothing special here" because he had paid considerably more for some than I would have for the same property.

I think that was the day I lost all respect for the magazine and I think it was probably because of the hype that was generated for a market that I knew well. The properties were overpriced for the dates they were bought and the current valuations were over inflated.

So, now I buy it from time to time, if there is someone that I'm interested in featured, other than that, I couldn't give a toss. I'd personally prefer something that has features on the more experienced investors. Those with a minimum of 15-20 properties and going up from there. Maybe some other types of properties featured would be good too, like Dazz & his sheds, or shops & offices. I realise that there are far fewer of those kinds of investors than there are those with only a few, so I'm probably dreaming thinking this may eventuate.

A high LVR shouldn't be a reason not to feature someone young who is still acquiring heavily.

The articles I am sick of are the investors who buy a PPOR or IP, wait 4-5 years and get an IP, then wait a few more years and buy another. Nothing special there.

The last story I remember being impressive was an asian bloke of about 50 who had over 50 properties. Sure it wasn't done extremely quickly, but at least he stuck with it and demonstrated a longer term strategy well. I skip a lot of API and YIP so I am sure that I missed other good examples too, such as Melbournian in this thread.

Please, no more new investors who have a PPOR and 1 IP and are talking about how awesome they are. I am a few properties ahead of them and often probably a similar age, but am I worth a story? Hell no!

Maybe the difference is that we, being Somersoft and I like to think somewhat in the know, have a better understanding of what others are doing and what is special. If all they know is their immediate family and friends, maybe they are a superstar.

I too would like to see the Dazz special edition, the editors would be lining up with chocolate milk :D

API are not trying to inspire Donald Trump, if they only featured mega successful investors their sales would probably drop. Their readers want to be able to relate to the people in the magazine, they want to believe it is possible for them, some even get a thrill when they read about someone less successful and compare themselves to the person featured.

Debbie and I got into investing because of a little ad telling us we could buy an investment property, not a glossy magazine that told us we could buy 50. Being shown how we could buy 1 IP inspired us, the rest has been simple duplication. If API creates a similar spark for others then they are doing a great job.

If any Somersofter's believe their story should be told then give the editor a call, and let us know what issue you'll be in so we can line up at the newsagents.

Regards

Andrew

I think that it has to do with relatability....most people cannot fathom owning more than 5 properties.

When they see someone with over 10 properties...they think he got lucky instead of asking how he did it?

I did have a good giggle at the recent young guns featured in API...most of them have very little equity and would be cleaned out if something dire happened.

There is a level of apprenticeship required in property prior to really making the dollars. Most people want to be millionaires overnight. A few do it but not many...even if they do some lose it due to high risk strategies.

Property is like any business....you need to have strategy and have a sustainable CF behind you.

Talked to my friends last night.....they asked about my properties thinking I was going down the gurgler due to recent drop in the market. Should have heard the silence at the other end of the phone when I told them that I have x amount gross and y amount net. This couple is pulling in about 380k combined income....anycase we are catching up over Easter and will tell them for the 10th time how I am doing it....take make money in real estate. Probably will get poo pooed for the 10th time...again.:D

I guess when I hit the $10m gross mark...they might sit up and notice. Pity because their income allows them to create wealth very quickly.:D

A high LVR shouldn't be a reason not to feature someone young who is still acquiring heavily.

The articles I am sick of are the investors who buy a PPOR or IP, wait 4-5 years and get an IP, then wait a few more years and buy another. Nothing special there.

The last story I remember being impressive was an asian bloke of about 50 who had over 50 properties. Sure it wasn't done extremely quickly, but at least he stuck with it and demonstrated a longer term strategy well. I skip a lot of API and YIP so I am sure that I missed other good examples too, such as Melbournian in this thread.

Please, no more new investors who have a PPOR and 1 IP and are talking about how awesome they are. I am a few properties ahead of them and often probably a similar age, but am I worth a story? Hell no!

Maybe the difference is that we, being Somersoft and I like to think somewhat in the know, have a better understanding of what others are doing and what is special. If all they know is their immediate family and friends, maybe they are a superstar.

I too would like to see the Dazz special edition, the editors would be lining up with chocolate milk :D

My wife recently stated that we could feature in API given that we are far better off than many of those featured.
The reason that I would not is that I value my privacy and don't want to exclaim to the world that I have x number of properties and a net worth of seven figures. Perhaps, if there was a decent sum of money to do it I would consider it.
So, I'm sure there is a large number of people just like that.
As a Gen-Xer, I'm not even legitimately on facebook. That's why I come here - so I can get dragged back down to earth every now and again. :D
If that part wasn't clear: that is a compliment to all of you here who have aspirations in life and take action.

I will be in the next few months editions with renovations etc.

I come from a similar background in the media industry and filling stuff with content is always the big issue. Its the power to the editor of any publication the higher the content they can provide.

My wife recently stated that we could feature in API given that we are far better off than many of those featured.
The reason that I would not is that I value my privacy and don't want to exclaim to the world that I have x number of properties and a net worth of seven figures. Perhaps, if there was a decent sum of money to do it I would consider it.
So, I'm sure there is a large number of people just like that.
As a Gen-Xer, I'm not even legitimately on facebook. That's why I come here - so I can get dragged back down to earth every now and again. :D
If that part wasn't clear: that is a compliment to all of you here who have aspirations in life and take action.

i think you privacy is mainly intact. you don't have to have a picture taken if you don't want to. You don't even need to exclaim to the world you have net worth of x figures or x number of properties. you could just say you did this strategy and it worked out for some of your properties.

i think you privacy is mainly intact. you don't have to have a picture taken if you don't want to. You don't even need to exclaim to the world you have net worth of x figures or x number of properties. you could just say you did this strategy and it worked out for some of your properties.

Melbournian,
I have never seen such an article. Every feature article I have ever seen in API has a photo of the investor - sleeved rolled up - alongside their partner and/or children with their name, age, children's ages, emotional driver for success and a table of their portfolio detailing purchase price, loan and perceived value today. So, I don't understand what you are saying.
With the "Young Guns" issue, I think there was a photo of every one of them posing - which I might have done at their age, but not today.
Having said that I have been in the media a few times when younger. Today, I want a privacy.
Also, personal information has a value so why not expect to be paid for all of it e.g. telemarketers, marketing companies asking you questions. Information and time have a value - so I would want to be paid if they are making money off me. Appropriately.
I'm sure there are people just like me.

Yep...I value my privacy also......have been approached to do an article but have politely declined....maybe in the future but not now.

Also....if you are working how this will impact on your colleagues and boss. Envy....can be a funny thing....people can do strange things.

Melbournian,
I have never seen such an article. Every feature article I have ever seen in API has a photo of the investor - sleeved rolled up - alongside their partner and/or children with their name, age, children's ages, emotional driver for success and a table of their portfolio detailing purchase price, loan and perceived value today. So, I don't understand what you are saying.
With the "Young Guns" issue, I think there was a photo of every one of them posing - which I might have done at their age, but not today.
Having said that I have been in the media a few times when younger. Today, I want a privacy.
Also, personal information has a value so why not expect to be paid for all of it e.g. telemarketers, marketing companies asking you questions. Information and time have a value - so I would want to be paid if they are making money off me. Appropriately.

The annoying thing about API is the way they publish the data on the people they interview.

Every interview seems to have a diferent calculation of net worth, some including PPOR guesstimates, renovation costs, others not, some including sold IPS, others current. They need an A&L format thats consistant.

Im happy to read about investors starting out, and with high LVR's. The market API is speaking to is both current investors, and people looking to invest, they want to know what the first couple of steps entail.

Melbournian,

You probably don't buy every issue- March 2011 - try to find a photo and birth date - that would be a first. I did it as i thought it would be good for my resume in business development. i'm just turning 30. how can i say this? if you play chess everything is interrelated - in chinese it's called "guanxi".

:confused:

Why is it that I read in API each month about a heap of "so called wealthy" people; but basically when I see what their gross assets is compared to what their debts are - it's like 90% LVR or 10% nett worth!! How is that worth a mention in API??? :confused:

I mean that's probably like the majority of investors out there! Seems very sensationalist almost like ACA - yes, I know API's got to sell magazines, but at least publish stories of people with a net worth of around 30% or more of their total asset base.

Just ridiculous - I should put my hand up to appear in the magazine; as I've got more wealth than most of these people appearing in API ;)

I just read the future millionaires below- yeah the guy on the front cover only has 1 property. yeah can get a lead on what you were trying to say. For me - i'm not interested in the milionaires etc - just looking to read, learn and get inspired on investors who think outside the square rather than just hey invested 6 properties - 10 years ago. now i'm x figure - anyone who was born at the right time and was fortunate to invest can see that. It's about the current times and how someone can do something to take it to the next level or manufacture growth or something

I only think there were a few people i have met who have done this. One being Nathan -and his methods and ways honestly impressed me. i'm don't mean to have a go at the anyone - just the boring investor is not something i would want to read about.

In about 2004 ( I think) I said to Rob we need to do something with our money. We had about $60K each...Rob had cash and I had equity. I always wanted rentals.
I had read online a story about Brenda Irwin and all the houses she bought. I had to pay to read the second part of the story..so I never did finish it (API) I asked Rob why couldn't we do that...he said we could.
I started looking online and found an 11 unit apt building for $330k.After 8 months of trying to obtain financing (commercial loan, and we were novices) we finally bought it.Every bank in our town turned us down.
The snowball effect started then. By Sept 2010 we now own 15 properties with a total of 39 income streams.
So I always refer to Brenda Irwin as my inspiration.

Api

I am always surprised at how many people they find every month ?!!
I do enjoy the stories though i must admit.It is just encouraging to share a passion with other Aussies and there is always something i take away from it.
It does really concerns me though how they often glorify just buying as many properties as the bank will give you loans for no matter what LVR yr at.
Alot of these guys have never taken a hit or a downturn in the market and dont realise how easy it is to go under without some back up strategy and reserves behind you.

I always wondered whether they pay these people to share all their experiences. Does anybody know? I would have thought these experiences were worth alot?!!

I do enjoy the stories though i must admit.It is just encouraging to share a passion with other Aussies and there is always something i take away from it.
It does really concerns me though how they often glorify just buying as many properties as the bank will give you loans for no matter what LVR yr at.
Alot of these guys have never taken a hit or a downturn in the market and dont realise how easy it is to go under without some back up strategy and reserves behind you.

I always wondered whether they pay these people to share all their experiences. Does anybody know? I would have thought these experiences were worth alot?!!

In another thread today there was a mention that there are 88,000 people in Australia with 3 or more properties.

That's a pretty big pool to fish in for stories :)

People are not paid to appear in API they do it because they want to do it.

The prefer the "average" investor so it does not look too out of reach for non-investors.

2-3 properties are achievable to anyone. Large multi-million dollar portfolios are perceived as being too difficult to achieve. - It's all about inspiring the little guy.

This month they found 7 young guns - read them today, or rather, just jumped straight to the portfolio.

I think all but one were negatively gearing - and some would be negatively gearing so much they're probably losing 30% of their salary (but then again they were quite young and I'm probably overestimating their salary such that they're more like losing 60%), and probably don't face much prospect of further cap growth any time soon. Sure is an interesting pathway.

As I always say - the pathway to financial freedom is in front of you (ie the one where you'll be financially free after you go bankrupt and lose everything).

Back