"You win some"...

Just received this from our PM and though I'd share it with you :

"The tenant at X street came home early recently (going away for the weekend) to discover a locksmith had changed all the locks in the house and was about to leave. Tenant thought that I had authorised this since he was a day late with the rent !!!!
He soon discovered that the fault was with the owner of the neighbouring property who had authorised the work. The address was wrongly read by the company.
I checked the workmanship and decided that since the new locks were better than the old ones, I dropped the matter. You did well. A shock to the tenant though."

Anyone else have any similar tales to tell ?

Ad(ios).

Not in regard to this, but there was a case where someone built a house on the wrong site. lawyers on the forum may correct me, but I think the guy who owned the site got to keep the house! It's a key equity law case.

Only similar thing i can think of is, we listed a house in Penguin, a small town 10 km from Ulverstone, both on the NW Coast of Tassie.

We used to have a person that put our signs up for us. We told him the address of the new listing and he went and put a sign up, no problem. Well, almost no problem, right address, wrong town!! :p

You can imagine the look on the face of the owners of the wrong address when they got home that day. :eek:

Cheers :cool:

someone got a new fence for free

Here is another one.

A Fence guy went to my neighbour's house and gave them a quote.
Neighbour accepts the quote and was waiting for the fence and the gate to be installed.
Time passed and nothing happened, until one morning when the fence guy turns up
and asks to get paid for the new fence he had installed.

It didn't take long to realise that he had it installed at the wrong address.
He went and took the gate away but left the fence.:)

cheers

And Another

Friend parked her Holden outside work. Came out that night, it was gone. Reported it as stolen to the police. Came out of work the next night and it was back complete with changed lock.

Garage had collected wrong car. The reported problem was a broken ignition, so they did not expect the key they had to work anyway. They were changing the door lock as well to fit in with the ignition key, so towed it to local garage, changed all locks and returned it the next day.

Garage discovered they had a problem when the real owner phoned and asked why they had not collected her car!!! :eek:

Chris

I was at a RE conference last year when a story was told about a property listed for sale in NZ by a RE agency. The sales team were told there was a spare key in the laundry in the washing machine at the back of the house. When they went to do there team inspection they couldn't find the key in the washing machine but to no avail it was in the clothes dryer, close enough.

They did the property tour and all went fine until they went to the main bedroom upstairs and someone "fell" onto the waterbed. The bladder split and water poured out everywhere. It saturated the carpet upstairs and wherever else. The agents desperately tried to stem the flow but water just kept pouring out. They used towels but they proved useless and nothing stopped the gallons of water from emptying out of the bed. If that wasnt bad enough it then began to seep through the floorboards to down below ruining everything downstairs as well.

You would think it couldn't get any worse. The house was drowning, furniture, carpet and lots more were destroyed. And if anyone has owned a waterbed you will know the smell of water left in a bladder for years has a certain "odour" to it also.

Turns out there was a good reason the key wasn't in the washing machine......they were at the wrong house. :D

And that's a true story :eek:

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

quiggles said:
Not in regard to this, but there was a case where someone built a house on the wrong site. lawyers on the forum may correct me, but I think the guy who owned the site got to keep the house! It's a key equity law case.
In the '46 flood a house was washed onto a neighbouring block.

No probs, they restumped it and exchanged titles. They were the "good Old Days". I wouldn't be surprised if the owner of the vacant block helped in the work.

T

Thanks guys - interesting stories. A couple even worthy of a chuckle :)

Thommo said:
They were the "good Old Days".
Thommo - perhaps you can answer this for me : why are they always referred to as "the good old days" ? Whenever I hear that expression I always get the impression that there were never any bad times in decades gone by. Do us "Generation X and Y's" really have it that tough these days ? :)

Ad(ios).

Apart from anything else, the 'good old days' were that because your story wouldn't have happened in them - who needs a lock for a door, unless you're going away for a couple of weeks???

AdamN said:
Thanks guys - interesting stories. A couple even worthy of a chuckle :)

Thommo - perhaps you can answer this for me : why are they always referred to as "the good old days" ? Whenever I hear that expression I always get the impression that there were never any bad times in decades gone by. Do us "Generation X and Y's" really have it that tough these days ? :)

Ad(ios).
Materially gen X&Y ers have got it good and I'm not knocking this, it is important. A fair quality of life is now available to all who make the effort. It wasn't always so. And women were openly discriminated against in the workplace which made the "Good old days" good for the guys.

Things have improved dramatically on the health scene too. Cars are safer and there are fewer drunks on the road so life expectancy has increased by 20 yrs or so. (thats a guess, no data)

The downside is the loss of ethics. As Quiggles says, "Why lock your house if you're not going on hols?" and selfishness.

The biggest change I've seen tho is the drug culture. It ruins lives physically, even for those who never OD, and turns "nice boys" into petty thieves (grand larceny is beyond them).

So I'm the first to admit we speak of the good old days selectively. That's OK though. It does no harm to point out where improvement could be made.

"Here endeth the first lesson".:D

Cheers, Thommo

Hi all.

A chap I used to work with bought a block of land with the intention of building on it a few years after. Anyway, just about every weekend he would travel up to his block of land (he lived in Sydney, the land was on mid North Coast) and chop down the trees and clear the block of unwanted weeds/ grass etc. Thinking he would be cunning he decided to dump his waste/rubbish on the block adjacent to his. This went on for months until one day he arrived at his land ready for another weekend of toil only to find someone there with a building contractor. Naturally he asks "can I help you" only to be told, no thanks mate we're right, just getting measurements etc for a house we're going to build. Yep, you guessed it, all this time he had been clearing the lot for his "neighbours" and dumping everything on his own block of land next door.

Regards
Marty

quiggles said:
My mother told me that in the days she was working in the town council (a few years ago now) a spec builder came in to register his property- and only found out then that the house had been built on the wrong side of the street, on somebody else's block.

Kevin Hockey said:
I was at a RE conference last year when a story was told about a property listed for sale in NZ by a RE agency. The sales team were told there was a spare key in the laundry in the washing machine at the back of the house. When they went to do there team inspection they couldn't find the key in the washing machine but to no avail it was in the clothes dryer, close enough.

They did the property tour and all went fine until they went to the main bedroom upstairs and someone "fell" onto the waterbed. The bladder split and water poured out everywhere. It saturated the carpet upstairs and wherever else. The agents desperately tried to stem the flow but water just kept pouring out. They used towels but they proved useless and nothing stopped the gallons of water from emptying out of the bed. If that wasnt bad enough it then began to seep through the floorboards to down below ruining everything downstairs as well.

You would think it couldn't get any worse. The house was drowning, furniture, carpet and lots more were destroyed. And if anyone has owned a waterbed you will know the smell of water left in a bladder for years has a certain "odour" to it also.

Turns out there was a good reason the key wasn't in the washing machine......they were at the wrong house. :D

And that's a true story :eek:

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Now that is very funny!!!! I can see it all now.... :D
Can only imagine the house owners when they came home.......!

kissfan said:
Hi all.

A chap I used to work with bought a block of land with the intention of building on it a few years after. Anyway, just about every weekend he would travel up to his block of land (he lived in Sydney, the land was on mid North Coast) and chop down the trees and clear the block of unwanted weeds/ grass etc. Thinking he would be cunning he decided to dump his waste/rubbish on the block adjacent to his. This went on for months until one day he arrived at his land ready for another weekend of toil only to find someone there with a building contractor. Naturally he asks "can I help you" only to be told, no thanks mate we're right, just getting measurements etc for a house we're going to build. Yep, you guessed it, all this time he had been clearing the lot for his "neighbours" and dumping everything on his own block of land next door.

Regards
Marty

And that, my friends is what you call 'karma'.

Back