Your best financial decisions...

A friend and I were looking to invest in a chain of Thai restaurants. I pulled out and she went ahead losing about $200k..

Did she regain $100k since page 1? :)

My best financial decision... having a good lawyer... has saved me so much money I cant begin to fathom it.

My best decision was to buy 1000sqm in hampton, my worst was to buy realtively new flats in stkilda and my near disaster was to be the second bidder on a block of units pre gfc that I posted on ss the day after I "missed out".

I'm starting this thread to hear about your best financial decisions you've made so far in terms of property (and otherwise) to take you closer to your end game.

What has worked for you rather than against you? What have you done and found success that you intend on keep repeating till you reach your end goal...

My best financial decision so far has been to ensure I make a constant effort to educate myself, keep learning, and make active life decisions that lead me toward my financial goals. These actions have been integral in what I’ve done over the past 10 years or so, from age 18 (around when I joined these forums!) to 28 (now). These conscious decisions have included:

• Pursuing study then a career in finance/tax
  • Spending less than I earn and investing the balance
  • Buying my first IP (current PPOR) early at age 22
  • Slowly and consistently purchasing IP’s over the past 6 years, resulting in going from around 25k to nearly $2mil in gross assets over the past 8 years
All of these things have happened, slowly and steadily, through my decision many years ago to make investment part of my lifestyle.

1. Paying attention when a financial planner came to my school and told us to pay ourselves first by saving 10 per cent of income from day one - which I did.

2. Fallling in love at 19 with "the wastoid geek"... who went on to earn more than I could ever dream of.

3. Pursuading said wastoid geek to buy first IP, later PPOR, with me just before the boom hit Melbourne - 210K for North Fitzroy single front.

4. Following said no-longer-wastoid-still-geek around the world and country to maximise his earnings and keep him in work - smart financially, difficult emotionally.

Back