Your Goals

I would love to hear of what other's financial goals are with regards to Property Investing. Personal question I know! But goal setting is fundamental when it comes to succeeding in any type of business, and investing is a business.

You don't have to disclose whether you are making that, near that, just starting, but what are your goals that you think you will realistically achieve with your Real Estate Investing business? What drives you? What do you hope to achieve?

I just thought this thread might help some who are wanting to set goals but are wondering if they are realistic or not. It also might inspire some who have not yet made goals to take this important step.

I would love to hear of what other's financial goals are with regards to Property Investing. Personal question I know! But goal setting is fundamental when it comes to succeeding in any type of business, and investing is a business.

You don't have to disclose whether you are making that, near that, just starting, but what are your goals that you think you will realistically achieve with your Real Estate Investing business? What drives you? What do you hope to achieve?

I just thought this thread might help some who are wanting to set goals but are wondering if they are realistic or not. It also might inspire some who have not yet made goals to take this important step.

What are yours?

Dave, better to party in your 20s and 30s. Even if you're in you're financially free in your 40s, you probably won't be bothered with partying. :p

I've observed that most people who reach financial independence quite young don't just stop and kick back. Whilst they have a great lifestyle, they still work very hard.

You don't have to disclose whether you are making that, near that, just starting, but what are your goals that you think you will realistically achieve with your Real Estate Investing business?
What drives you?
What do you hope to achieve?

Specific goal: $85K pa income after tax within 10 years - I'm in my 1.5 years and still feel this is a stretch, might not feel that way when I"m going half way (I hope so!)

What drives me: fear and desire :rolleyes: I don't like risks, the perceived risks of doing nothing is higher than dipping my toe in IP

What I want to achieve: flexibility to choose what I want to do without worrying about money, house with garden and 2-3 dogs :D

I have always been a goal orientated person & generally achieved them. However, up until about 10 years ago I forgot to put being happy as a major goal and ironically thought I was being happy by moving towards my goals. Life events helped me to put goals in context.

My goals are;

- To be the best husband and dad to our 4 year old that I can be. To be present in their lives and to provide the means to allow my wife to be a 100% mum to him

- To see things in context and laugh more each day as well as to have an increasing generosity of spirit to life and people

- Providing a stable home life to my family

- Building the means for my son to choose what he WANTS to do in life rather than what he has to do

- Taking my family for 1 great holiday each year for 3-4 weeks.

Now down to money goals, these are the goals that give my family choices now & in the future.

1. PPOR paid off..............................check
2. Property that allows the greater family to get together, paid off........check
3. Quality Australian shares fully owned and generating about $30k pa to fund possible future education costs.......................in progress
4. Fully paid off IP in Sydney generating $25k net pa...........in progress
5. A balance in Super of about $1m......in progress
6. An investment income stream outside of shares and property of $25k pa....done

At retirement (whatever that is) $50k pa coming in plus whatever the super generates with the shares being a bonus.

The financial goals are in place and get added to each and every fortnight, no exceptions. Largely set and forget. Setting the financial goals, contributing to them regularly allows me to get on with the important people and things in life.

The day I don't want to work anymore we will look at the options and go from there, until then invest regularly and let it look after itself as I enjoy my family.

Goals should be reviewed regularly in the context of a changing life, not become something that is too inflexible.

Interesting thread

Dave, better to party in your 20s and 30s. Even if you're in you're financially free in your 40s, you probably won't be bothered with partying. :p

I've observed that most people who reach financial independence quite young don't just stop and kick back. Whilst they have a great lifestyle, they still work very hard.

Not always. I think there's something demotivating about financial independence. Reminds me of the dialogue between Seinfeld and Stern in an episode of Comedians in a Car Having Coffee:

Seinfeld: Would you like to play god with shows? And make shows? And say 'I like this guy, I wanna do this with him?' How come you haven't done that?

Stern: I had a production company and I had ten shows sold and in production. And I walked away from it. There's nothing more exciting than the announcement. Howard Stern now is head of his own network!? You know, whatever, some big announcement.

Seinfeld: Yeah.

Stern: That's a great high! But then you actually have to go out and get it done.

Seinfeld: Right (laughing).

Stern: And then you have no life. And that's the problem. I love the announcement.

Seinfeld: It's so funny how it works isn't it? That you get to the point to get that thing. And you don't want it.

Stern: No (agreeing)

Seinfeld: Why is life so ****ing twisted like that?

Food for thought ;)

Oscar

Mid term goal - 500k passive for now.
It won't happen overnight, but it will happen :)
Will take maybe 10 more years if I do nothing, or 2-3 years if I put some effort in.

Happy either way.

That's spooky - same as my goal and time frames. Not sure about the 2-3 year bit for me tho - too risk averse these days, so I'll just wait the 10 years.

The Y-man

If you achieved financial independence you probably enjoy making money so it's hardly that demotivating. If you were given it it could make you less capable.

Great Singo, look forward to looking at that. Let's look at this as a goal review then as Bunlee said :)

Thank you for the open responses. Really helpful and interesting to read the detail in some of them.

OC1 I think yes it is demotivating to reach a financial goal if it is simply that a financial goal. That is why financial goals alone will never lead to happiness. It has to be about more than that.

EN710 yes the perceived risk of doing nothing is more fearful than the fear of trying something itself. That is how I feel, when I consider doing nothing that is rather scary!

Hearing some of you speaking of reaching financial goals by your 30's or 40's has me a little envious that you are on this great track now in an age where you have information and connection at your fingertips. You have so much opportunity! I am now just in my 40's, and I thought I would be a millionaire by now. But that was my problem, although not a greedy person I kept writing down financial goals. How much did I want to make by this certain time, and it never really worked for me. I feel like I am in the position now that I should have been back in my 20's. But better late than never they say!

Peter T I think you are correct to an extent about partying young because you won't want to in your 40's. But for different reasons. I think if you love to work, if you are driven, you enjoy what you do and you don't want to stop and kick back full time, you will want to keep working. But heeey what about our mid life crises' here, don't we want to go out and party again???

My goals...
I should point out I am a female as I am not sure if it is evident on here yet. But I am the driven one in the family. Hubby is at work and I am working hard to get him out of having to do that.

My forum name Freedom is a clue. That is my specific goal - Freedom. I want to be free of worrying about affording things, how to pay the bills. I want to be able to think about anything but money, and know I can afford some great holidays each year, that swimming pool in the back yard for quality family time, etc etc regardless. I want to show my children that the world is enjoyable, it is their Oyster, to think for themselves, think outside of the box. I don't have aspirations for crazy priced cars, a huge yacht, I just want comfort and FUN!!!!

Financial goals, I would be happy with -
* Our home paid off
* Finish fixing up our home with all the things on my desire list - swimming pool, landscaping, balcony, etc - and to buy those few things I would still like such as a nice caravan. So in other words to as quickly as possible to profit by a nice chunk of money to get all those things.
* Earn a passive income of somewhere between $7k and $15k per month. Ideally $15k we could live whatever life we wished, but surely if the house is paid off and we have all the things we desire $7k would be more than enough. Will see how we feel by the time we get there.
.... that passive income would afford us to have hubby leave work and those few nice holidays each year :)

I always have specific plans on how I will reach those financial goals, but they do change and adapt as I learn more along the way.

Giving back goal -
I really want to give back to others. I remember each and every person who reaches a hand out to me and offers me advice, help, encouraging words. Those who bother to spend some time with me to help mentor me and help me reach my goals, regardless of the fact they must be busy themselves and they are not gaining from doing so. And while I always am offering to help them and others wherever I can in return, I am realistic and know I don't always have a lot to offer, YET. So I will always be around to help others and pass it on, to say thanks to those who helped me, and to help others reach their goals. As I learn I will share and help.

If you achieved financial independence you probably enjoy making money so it's hardly that demotivating. If you were given it it could make you less capable.

There's more to life than making money bud. I can think of many FUN things to do rather than turn over another development in order to make more money or whatever your chosen path is to make money. But hey each to their own.

Freedom: exactly. Making money for the sake of making more and more money? Eh.

My goals are about 6 months out, max. I find that extrapolating out further than that is too tricky, because you can't control for anomalies. For me, 6 months is a short enough period that I can swap and change if need be fairly quickly, to allow for the unexpected if/when it arises.

Back