Zero percent interest rate

So a question to ponder.....

If the interest rate dropped to zero and you had an interest only mortgage would you have to make any monthly payments?

I know it will never happen........or will it?

So a question to ponder.....

If the interest rate dropped to zero and you had an interest only mortgage would you have to make any monthly payments?

I know it will never happen........or will it?

Even at a 0% cash rate, your lender will still apply their margin.

Why ask us? Japan has had a zero interest rate (or there-abouts) for nearly twenty years. Momma San gets no interest on her "post-office" savings. Large depositors get charged an account fee. (negative interest rate!)

Start your research there.

:) Call me Mama San :) when was the last time any of us got any interest on our "post-office" savings account?? Isn't that what ING and the likes are for?-to get actual interest

:) Call me Mama San :) when was the last time any of us got any interest on our "post-office" savings account?? Isn't that what ING and the likes are for?-to get actual interest

Hang on! Don't you guys know anything about the world beyond our borders? I spoke of "post-office" in a generic sense. If you have an ING account there earning 6% interest, you are making an untold fortune on the carry trade. Truth is, is ain't so. The carry trade works the other way.

JAPAN IS A NATION WITH ZERO INTEREST RATES!!!!!!!!!!!

Japan doesn't actually have zero interest rates.

Depends on if you are talking about interest rates for savings or loans in Japan.

Daily rates from newspaper.

Savings normally under 0.2%

House loans 2-4%

Car Loans 3-10%

Loan Sharks 10-1000% (not a typo).

We were offered 0% interest recently on a purchase of $130,000 for a 5 year period.....

Lexus at Parramatta in a letter to us offered us a 5 year lease at 0% interest to update from our 2002 GS300 to a new model.

They must not be selling to many?

We were offered 0% interest recently on a purchase of $130,000 for a 5 year period.....

Lexus at Parramatta in a letter to us offered us a 5 year lease at 0% interest to update from our 2002 GS300 to a new model.

They must not be selling to many?

The catch is you have to pay full sticker price for the vehicle and the vehicle is an 08 plate and you will not apply for any other discounts, although if you paid for the car without that finance special, you would probably get 20-30% off retail cost due to huge bonuses offered by Lexus to get rid of all 08 plates.

Nothing is for free in this world!!!

Cales405,

You also forgot the 50K mark up on the vehicle which works out at 10K per year or around 12% on 80K.

The catch is you have to pay full sticker price for the vehicle and the vehicle is an 08 plate and you will not apply for any other discounts, although if you paid for the car without that finance special, you would probably get 20-30% off retail cost due to huge bonuses offered by Lexus to get rid of all 08 plates.

Nothing is for free in this world!!!

Don't know what the catch is - did not take up the offer

And might be right with the discount available through negotiation - as I said I don't think they are selling many

Cales405,

You also forgot the 50K mark up on the vehicle which works out at 10K per year or around 12% on 80K.

The car offered to us retails for $132k, this is the advertised price, we did look at updating when the lease expired on our current Lexus back in 2007 but decided against it.

Back