An Investment in Reduction

Way to go Penny!

I lost 15 kilos earlier this year via a Jenny Craig program with no change in my exercise level (I do play soccer and walk at least 30 minutes/day).

The key was to change the food consumption pattern and make it more conscious.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Aceyducey,

Maybe we have meet on the soccer field ? I played for Woden Div3.

Geoff

heh - I played in Div 3 a few weeks ago as a stand-in.

But not regularly - I'm a bit past the age of being able to keep up at that level. Currently in a Div 8 team, and thinking seriously about going Masters next year. But we've got a semi on tomorrow so haven't decided yet :)

I should have included (Masters) Div3 i played in. First year and i have enjoyed it heaps. I expect to be chasing you around the pitch next year.

Best of luck with the semi tomorrow..

Geoff

Thanks Coffee,

It was a nailbiter and there was a big crowd in the final stages.

Bloody cold day - with a strong wind across the grounds at the university of Canberra.

Our opponents started with ten men on the field, but the wind was at their back and they were individually quicker and fitter than us.

They scored within the first thirty seconds, cutting through a disorganised defense and bouncing the ball high over our goalie as he came out to challenge.

We replied about 10 minutes later, with our left mid cutting through five players to place a goal from the left side of the box.

They were able to get an eleventh man on the field, and about ten minutes before the end of the half, they broke through our defenses and scored again, leaving the score at 2-1 to them at half time.

About ten minutes into the second half they snuck another goal in with a solo run, despite having the wind against them.

We were 3-1 down and despite having reserve players and the wind at our back, it looked like we were on our way to being knocked out.

With just under ten minutes to go one of our centre mids headed a loose ball from a corner into their goal, bringing the score to 3-2. By this stage the other team were slowing down the play - both being tired, having no reserves, and wanting to finish the game without giving us opportunities to score.

About five minutes later we forced another corner. I was playing right back, but went forward to just outside the box to support the mids in the centre. We had nothing to lose.

The ball was kicked and arced into the mass of players to the right of the goal mouth. It came off several men, one of their players headed it and it landed at my feet.

I took a breath, and kicked. It soared over four players into the top of the goal, just over the goalie's fingers. The game was tied 3 all, with two minutes on the clock.

We focused on holding them out of our half and the game ended with no further goals.

This was a semi - there had to be a result. Time to go into extra time, 15 minutes a half.

Five minutes in, one of their players pushed one of ours in the back in their box. Our player fell, then, incredibly, their player turned around, took two steps back to where he lay and deliberately kicked him while he was on the ground.

Another of our players stepped in to intercede, and was also kicked and punched. A third of our players had a piece of skin torn off his ear before the rest of the field could subdue the other team's player.

Red card, he was off. They were back to ten. Emotions were running high - one of our mids received a yellow card for swearing before the players settled back into the game.

We had a free direct kick at goal. Our player taking it kicked high, the ball lofted over the goal mouth - opportunity gone.

However the opposition goalie had moved early - the kick had to be taken again. This time our player made sure - spiking it at waist height into the right of the goal as the goalie went left.

4-3 to us. 20 minutes left in extra time.

Five minutes later they slipped another ball through our defenses and scored. 4-4 again.

Second half of extra time - we again had the wind against us, they were tired. We had to keep our best shooters on the field in case it went to a shootout, so our reserves were less useful.

Twice they cut through our defenses and twice our goalie kept them out. Three times we cut through theirs - only to have their goalie do the same.

End of extra time - 4 all. Time for a shootout.

Five players from each team, only from those on the field had to shoot alternatively at the goal. Whoever got the most in won. It was up to our goalie to keep them out.

Their first shot - in.
Our first shot - straight to the feet of their keeper and stopped.

Second shots both in.

Their third shot was punched away by our goalie, while we made ours.

Two goals each, two shots left each.

Their fourth shot, taken by their goalie - straight into the hands of ours.
Our fourth shot, dropped neatly into the left bottom corner... 3-2 with one shot each left.

Their final shot - past our goalie to make it three each. We had one final shot that could win the game.

Our final shot - a good ball, but their goalie was there. Our player disappointed, the shootout result 3 all.

Now the game went into it's final stage.

Each team took a shot. At the end of each set of two if one team scored and the other didn't that team won.

Their player was first. One of their best scorers. he shot right, our goalie moved left - then doubled back and knocked it away with his hand.

Our shot - one of our centre mids, stable, dependable and unphased by stress.

He shot right, their goalie dived.

The wrong way - it was in!

The crowd went wild - so did we.

4-3 on a penalty shootout after a tied game.

The best game so far of our season.

Next week we play for second place, then if successful on to the Grand Final.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

PS: Sorry if I hijacked the thread, but I was very pumped about the win :)

PPS: That was my first goal of the season - I tend to play right or left mid so I only get a few good shots in a season. it was an important goal, so I'm happy :)

Another of our players stepped in to intercede, and was also kicked and punched. A third of our players had a piece of skin torn off his ear before the rest of the field could subdue the other team's player.

Ouch! How did that manage to happen... :(

Wow! Congrats on winning, and congrats on personally scoring a goal!

That's such a classic win, the comebacks, the close calls. they should make a movie about this :)

M, can I point out that it really is worth the change to diet soft drinks. A can of coke or lemon squash = 3.5km to walk off. While a diet coke will take about 50 metres to walk off.

i.e.
Cals in a 375ml can of coke = 150
Cals in a diet coke = <3

energy on top of resting metabolic rate, expended by 70kg person walking at 5kph = 3.5 Cals/min

thus
(150 Cals / 3.5 Cals/min)5kph = 42 mins walking * 5 km / 60 mins = 42/60*5= 3.5km

My kids saw a show yesterday after school that suggested that a 2L bottle of coke contained 42 teaspoons of sugar. That floored them and got them thinking and talking about this subject.

Not that my kids are overweight. We eat pretty well and encourage exercise - Emily is a Gymnast doing 12 hours training a week on top of walking to school and Brianna walks daily and plays social netball with two training sessions a week and a game plus tap dancing on Fridays. I think setting these habits early in life is vital. We read about the high figures of childhood obesity and see no signs of it amongst their friends or in the schoolyard - I am starting to think socio-economics plays a major role here too, we are unashamedly middle class in our choice of schools and suburb,

I am the only fat bugger in my family and that is solely due to my inability to sustain the exercise that I grew up with due to injury. Maybe I better talk to Dr Cohen myself...

did anyone watch the diet show on chan 9 tonight.They reckon a chicken ceasar salad has more kjs than a chicken fillet burger.:eek: Turkish bread has more kjs than anyother bread:confused:
There is so much conflicting info now, sure makes it hard to work out what is best.
One thing they did all agree on is that stay away from as much processed food as possible. The less handled by humans the better.
cheers yadreamin

There is so much conflicting info now, sure makes it hard to work out what is best.

That goes for investing as much as for eating :)

And, frankly, the same information screening rules apply.

Do your own research (good foods, bad foods), build a great team (weight advisors, fitness instructors) and add value through wardrobe renovation.

Just remember - look for those twists!

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Except...

With investments, the more the better

With eating, the less the better*
*to a certain degree
*caloric restriction increases your life expectancy

Four Months

G'Day

Just for those who are interested -

It's four months today since finishing the weight loss part of the program, and still holding at 59.5kilos.

The fluctuation is one (1) kilo maximum. I started the refeeding at 60 kilos exactly, dropped to 58.5 kilos during the reconditioning, and have not been above 61 kilos on any particular day since completing the refeeding.

So does Cohen's produce a reliable result? I think, after four months, it is safe to say that yes, it certainly does!

The body has also stabilised in terms of shrinkage, in fact I am really feeling in peak condition. For those of you who have gone on the program I know two of you have lost more than 20 kilos and one has lost more than 40 kilos since reading my history.

If you have been thinking of doing this, but thought you would 'weight and see' (oh, dear!) whether the aftermath was reliable, let me encourage you to join up and experience this remarkable program for yourselves.

To say that I am happy with the result is an understatement!

Cheers

Kristine

Postscript: Just decided to measure, and actually the tape shows that a further shrinkage has occured. Overall measurement at the completion of the weight loss was 413cm, down from 511cm at commencement, and today's tally is 401 cms, so sizing is also reliable, down from size 16-18 to size 8-10.

I am still surprised when I look in the mirror at the slim person looking back at me. Mental image is much more firmly entrenched than we perhaps realise. Anyway, nothing tastes as good as being slim feels, and although I do not deny myself anything, eating and drinking 'whatever I want' has taken on new meaning as 'what I want' has definitely changed.

Trouble is, I am so impressed with the Cohen's program that even now I can talk about it for hours. If more people realised that 'losing weight' is not a moral issue, you are not a 'fat slob' just because you are obese, but probably have a simple malfunction of metabolism which is easy to correct, I am sure that many people would be encouraged to take advantage of this truly amazing program. At 56, I sincerely believe I have dropped my biological age by perhaps as much as ten years, I have the energy, health and confidence to take on the new business and the zest and enjoyment of presenting myself in a different way.

It's all good. If you have been thinking of doing this please be encouraged, significant weight loss is very achievable with no pain, no exercise, just good food and amazing results!

Go for it!!

Last edited:
Hi Kristine, I have just finished reading this entire thread. I am so impressed with your tenacity and willpower. Although I must admit you made it sound easy, and if it were me, I dont think I would have found it quite so.

You have certainly set a wonderful and achievable example to all of us who need to set a goal and achieve it. I have been so inspired by your journey. Not that I'm overweight (BMI 20.9), but setting goals and just DOING, is difficult at times. So thankyou for the regular updates....kept me going.

A few other comments related to other posts:

The study showed that the rate of cancer fell when meat consumption during the war fell and rose again when meat consumption rose after the war. The two corresponding lines actually ran pretty much parallel to each other.
Mark

Mark, correlation does not imply cause and effect. For example: income does not necessarily correlate with wealth...as most on SS will concur. The changing cancer incidence might well have be related to other war-related factors.

Structure provides strength, without structure we would never get our investment properties financed, renovated, let or geared properly, perhaps it’s the same with our diet and general health?

Agreed, and along with structure comes routine. No need for diabolical motivational techniques when we are simply following the plan. This is great advice.

And the solution appears to be that some values have to be let go of, in order to stay true to higher values, or evolve new values.

And often we don't like that. It feels like we are letting go of some part of freedom. But that is a false freedom indeed.

It is a potent and sometimes painful and humiliating lesson at anytime in life. I don't put my dieting deviance down to a poor program. i put it down to not valuing wt loss and health strongly enough to resist the many things that seem more important from hour to hour and day to day.

TFB I agee, and thankyou for self-disclosing. Ofcourse, there is another aspect to this as well.

What do I have to give up to lose weight?

• My opinion of myself?
  • My body image?
  • My low self-esteem?
  • My "fat" clothes?
  • My taste for those yummy "fat" foods?
  • My lack of attraction to the opposite sex, which means they might find me interesting, and that would frighten me?
  • My alcohol, Maccas, or chocolate addiction ?

The difference between 'trying' to do something and actually achieving the goal - no matter what that goal may be - is to have professional advice and a structured program.

Yep, can't beat the professional advice...tis a winner.

Over the past four months my tastes have changed.

The human body never ceases to amaze me in its ability to adapt so wonderfully to change.

I just love chocolate. I'd gradually been increasing my chocolate intake over about a year, until I was eating quite a bit every night. Decided to go cold turkey...and got a real yen for something sweet after dinner. Not ever having been a fruit person, I decided to give it a go. After only 7 days, I lost 1 kg, and am now addicted to having a piece of fruit every night, without even missing the chocolate. I walked all the way down the sweet's aisle at the supermarket on Thurs, checked out all the chocolates and didn't even feel the temptation urge.

Tastes certainly can change, and change quite quickly too.

So thank you Kristin for reminding us that our bodies are just so important, and we are in charge of our own maintenance.

Unlike motor cars, we only get one per lifetime.
Unlike motor cars, tis not that easy to get spare parts.
Unlike motor cars, we can't simply ask God for another one, when the engine seizes up.

thanks so much for posting that inspiring thead, Kristine.

I am on a campaign to hit 60 kg by the time I hit 50 which is in about 6 weeks time.

i had got stuck on 62.5 kg when I read your story on the weekend and it inspired me to knock off another kilo! Just one and a half kilos to go now.

From your thread, I went on to read the forum attached to the Cohen site and that was another inspiring set of stories.

From there I got a reference to a list of calorie-negative foods - -mostly friuit and veges; lowfat milk was also on the list. I don't think this theory of calorie-negative foods has been proven yet ( where it costs more in energy to digest certain foods than they give out in their own energy).

Maybe, if the theory is correct, that is why the cohen program works so quickly - I understand you have to consume an awful lot of veges and lots and lots of fruit.

I tried your omelette idea out for myself -

I sliced up a heap of calorie-negative veges like zuccini and onion and tomato and cabbage and carrot and mushrooms and then stir-fried them.

I then whipped up a one-egg omelette and then added the pile of veges.

It was huge. I ate it up and felt really full for ages. Was funny thinking that my poor stomach was busy slugging away trying to break down all that cellulose for no net gain! Well, it did gain lots of vitamins and minerals; just no energy.

I've had four of those omelettes now - they are quite tasty too.

Thanks again for the idea and congratulations on your fantastic effort.

I read in the paper recently that a study found that the best way to stop the dreaded weight re-gain iis to make sure we weigh ourselves every day for the rest of our lives. Makes sense -- nip the weight regain in the bud.

Cheers Carol.

thanks so much for posting that inspiring thead, Kristine.

From there I got a reference to a list of calorie-negative foods - -mostly friuit and veges; lowfat milk was also on the list. I don't think this theory of calorie-negative foods has been proven yet ( where it costs more in energy to digest certain foods than they give out in their own energy).

Maybe, if the theory is correct, that is why the cohen program works so quickly - I understand you have to consume an awful lot of veges and lots and lots of fruit.

Cheers Carol.

Hi Carol,
I'm also on the Cohen's program (down 22 kg in just over 3 months). Unfortunately, we don't get to eat a lot of veges and fruit! It works out to roughly 100g-120g of veges per meal. It will vary slightly depending upon what protein you are eating, and your serving sizes. But generally, its fairly small amounts. It adds up to about 1 mushroom, a couple of bits of bok choy, 2-3 small slices of zucchini, 2-3 small slices of squash, and you've reached the limit!!
Each person eats a different amount of fruit. I can eat 2 pieces a day. But still not lots and lots of fruit!
But the amazing thing is that we don't feel hungry. Which for me is still a complete mystery, and something I thought everyone on the program must be lying about! But it seems to work that way. That's one of the reasons why I love the program so much.
Good luck on losing your extra couple of kilos!
Pen

wow, penny, that's fantastic too!

By lots of vegies, that's what I meant - 110 gm per meal! And lots of lots of fruit is three pieces a day! i obviously haven't been eating enough of those foods!

I was lucky as I started at about 65 kg at the start of the year and gave myself the whole year to get down to 60kg.

Then I realised I was still 63.5kg at the start of October and time was starting to run out!

No point my paying the $680 for the program, but when we get back from our holiday at the end of the year, I'm sending my husband along as his Xmas present!

No point my being skinny if he isn't!

Up until about ten years ago I was always skinny and could eat what I liked. Then I gradually started to gain weight. It does make you feel bad about yourself to get overweight and misshapen. On my birthday I'd often treat myself to new clothes but it was horrible looking at my expanding flabby body in those changerooms with mirrors on all walls, so what should have been a treat ended up being a depressing experience!

Maybe there is a link between depression and being overweight.

Cheers Carol

Wow, that's a huge difference!

(And your hair has gone darker, and you look more Asian :D ... hehehe... I've deliberately ignored you comment about being the one in pink)

Hello Carol

Thanks for your positive comments. Being on the program was a lot of fun, I enjoyed every minute and certainly enjoy the results.

I am a bit puzzled as to a forum being linked to Cohen's actual website. I have just checked but found no link.

The information you have mentioned is not 'Cohen's' - so I wonder what you have been reading?

This (link below) is an interesting support forum - the link is to today's page on the thread, rather than to the index of the website, as this is a general weight loss website where every known weight loss program (and some very obscure programs) are discussed at length and people run their own diaries, too.

Very interesting but nothing 'official' about it.

http://weight-loss.fitness.com/weight-loss-programs/1757-cohens-lifestyle-support-309.html main page http://weight-loss.fitness.com/

The only Cohen's website is their own www.lifestyleclinic.com.au or the www.1stpersonaldiet.com which is what the program is called for USA, UK and the International email program.

Cohen's is not about 'calorie negative foods' as such, and some of the foods you refer to are certainly not on the program. I am a bit concerned about this website link, Carol!

Still, well done on moving down a kilo or two. Cohen's may be helpful for people wanting to just shift a bit of weight to loosen up their belts, but that is not what the program is designed for. To get the best benefit out of it you must have a fair bit to lose and be prepared to reach your ideal weight.

It is not a 'play program' it is a very real method not just of losing large quantities of weight, but of maintaining the achieved 'medically ideal weight range' indefinitely without counting calories, limiting the normal diet, or other high maintenance tactics.

I was obese and now I'm not. It's really that simple.

cheers

Kristine

Last edited:
Hi Kristine

yes, that forum site you found is the one I was reading. I found it from doing a serach on the web and since it focussed on the Cohen program, I assumed it must have been part of the Cohen website.

Still, the same great success stories and it seemed very motivating for the contributors to be able to share their progress and lift each other up when they slipped up a bit on the odd glass or wine or packet of chips!

How long do you stay on the re-feeding part of the programme, and what happens after that?

When do you stop having contact with the Cohen people?

Carol

PS those photos are amazing - congratulations again.

Back