Somersoft Equity/Net Assets Poll

Equity/Net Assets = Total Assets - Total Liabilities (inc. PPOR and partner's A & L)

• 0 - $99,999

Votes: 20 10.0%
  • $100,000 - $499,999

Votes: 46 23.0%
  • $500,000 - $999,999

Votes: 44 22.0%
  • $1,000,000 - $1,999,999

Votes: 52 26.0%
  • $2,000,000 - $2,999,999

Votes: 20 10.0%
  • $3,000,000 - $4,999,999

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • $5,000,000 - $9,999,999

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • $10,000,000 - $19,999,999

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • > $20,000,000

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wow,

Thanks Nullagine.

So, if I read it correctly, to be in the top 10% of the general population you need to have more than $1M in net worth. But to be in the top 10% of SS posters you need more than $3M in net worth.

Ah well, another goal to add to my list! :D

Cheers,
Michael.

I read in the Melbourne Age a couple of weeks ago that there were now 160,000 millionaires in Australia. That's 0.76%.

I thought this figure was a bit low. Can anyone confirm the number of +$1M net worth individuals?

I read in the Melbourne Age a couple of weeks ago that there were now 160,000 millionaires in Australia. That's 0.76%.

I thought this figure was a bit low. Can anyone confirm the number of +$1M net worth individuals?

Your number appears to be 160,000 / 21,000,000 = 0.0076 = 0.76%. That is individuals divided by the Aus population of individuals.

I would suggest that the number is 160,000 households / 7,735,778 Aus household population at 2003-2004 = 0.021 = 2.1%.

See this thread. I think the 160,000 refers to australians with US$1M of investable assets ie not inc PPOR.

it's very motivating, isn't it!

i too, would love to see a wealth/age poll...

Wealth by age poll would require at least 10 and preferably more than 30 posters for each age category to avoid statistical noise due to small sample size. Not enough posters here?

Here is an interpolation of the Aus household net worth by age at 2003-04 taken from:
http://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/ausstats/subscriber.nsf/0/9D62DEE16A1DAEA4CA25715C007975D9/$File/wealth_pub_6554.xls
Table 20.

The ABS net worth figures include all assets & liabilities - not just financial assets & liabilites as used in the finance indistry.

Net worth is increasing by a real ~1% / year = ~5% nominal by 4 years = increased by ~15-20% to 2007.

Notice that wealth in the Aus population tends to increase linearly with age rather than by compound growth - which should be the aim of the net wealth focused.

Attachments

• B6.JPG
    B6.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
See this thread. I think the 160,000 refers to australians with US$1M of investable assets ie not inc PPOR.

Yes, just a reminder so that we are comparing apples with apples, 'net worth' figures usually quoted exclude your PPOR, whereas this poll is specifically including PPOR, so I called it 'equity' or 'net assets' instead...

GSJ

Just LOOKING at the results of that poll is making me more motivated.
Alex

Beautiful isn't it!

Almost shaped like a perfect looking bell curve! - a few more days to go though till the poll closes, so let's wait and see the end result...

GSJ

Last edited:
182 votes.

Beautiful isn't it!

Almost like a perfect looking bell curve! - a few more days to go though till the poll closes, so let's wait and see the end result...

GSJ

The shape of the poll vote curve is largely the result of the irregular category ranges. The irregular, approximately logarithmic ranges were needed to capture the large range in values. Had the ranges been constant a drooping curve, not a bell curve, would be evident:

Attachments

• B5.JPG
    B5.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 62
0-99k only bought our first house start of last year, and this year we are concentrating on paying of consumer debt before saving up for next house deposit.

I might start a wealth/age poll after this one closes on the 8th. Any thoughts on the best way to word the poll and what options to use...if not I'll make up something myself.

GSJ

I think the poll should be used to collect the infomation regarding age vs wealth, and then plot it on a graph. I would assume the graph would generally increase as the ages increase. It would be interesting to see where the dots cluster, however, there will be some which are way above or below average.

So, the more options for the poll, the better result I think.

Spider.

I might start a wealth/age poll after this one closes on the 8th. Any thoughts on the best way to word the poll and what options to use...if not I'll make up something myself.

GSJ

That would be an interesting poll, give's a little more perspective. One thing I would suggest, as someone already mentioned earlier on - break up the lower values a bit. Instead of $100-500k maybe make it $100-$200k, $200-500k, $500-$750k, $750-$1m maybe? And just for the fun of it, throw in a $100M+ in at the end :)

PS Another interesting poll would be Age vs Total Asset Value under control

I think getting everyones data together and turning it into a scatter plot or something similar would be best. I don't think a poll would really work, because you are using 2 variables. Also, if it was done this way, people could provide fairly detailed responses - $550,000 for example, as opposed to $500,000 - $1M.

BR

The only problem with that is that polls are generally anonymous. (The mods can see who voted what but the public can't).

To get peoples exact position they would have to volunteer it out in the open for all to see. I think many will not do that which will skew the results.

The poll system isn't really good for in depth data collection. It's limited to the number of options you can have which means you have to categorise the questions.

Sorry I can't think of any better way to do it though, unless an external page was set up that allowed people to anonymously choose from a very large array of options.

Cheers,

Arkay.

Perhaps a mod could collate the data annonymously via PM's or similar so that the information is not public. More work involved this way but I think if it's going to be done, it should be done properly. Maybe the software needs a rewrite so we can get some more advanced statistical analysis going? Just don't ask me to do it.

BR

(The mods can see who voted what but the public can't)

Is that so, that's not really anonymous then is it - is this the case Moderators???

I think this wealth/age poll is in the 'too hard/can't be bothered anymore' basket for me! If anyone else wants to do it, go for it.

GSJ

Back