$1 billion plan to make Buranda the next New Farm

They don't need to spend one billion dollars on apartments to make it the next New Farm.

Just bring in more prostitutes and drug dealers.

I read that article this morning. My thoughts were that New Farm has the river, but what does Buranda have? Clogged roads, vehicle fumes and a railway line. Undoubtedly it will be popular due to proximity to the city, transport, etc. But the next New Farm ..... I don't think so.

BTW, I live south of 'the ditch' and I have a IP in an adjoining suburb, so am not talking the area down - just trying to inject a bit of realism.

Cheers
LynnH

Last edited:
Thanks, Ian - I did mean Buranda! That's what happens when I post before that morning caffeine hit kicks in! :eek: Have now fixed it!

Cheers
Lynn

Dammit. Buranda was *my* secret. Now the word is out. Bloody hell.

For the doubters I suggest you look at the layout of Vancouver, Canada. It is flat 2 - 3 storey suburbs with 30 storey apartment towers sprouting out of the ground at regular intervals along the Skytrain line at each stop. Its quite bizarre from the air.

Brisbane will look like that in 20 years time.

That TOD at Buranda has some great things going for it. Proximity to the CBD and some of the best public transport access in the city, sitting on Buranda Station (Cleveland Line) and the Buranda Busway Station (SE Busway).

New Farm it ain't... then again I don't remember PT in New Farm being that good.

The Pheonix development is just a few hundred meters up Logan Road (after you pass under the railway bridge you're in Woolloongabba). I'm not sure how much discussion this forum has had about the Woolloongabba Local Plan but that area is in for massive rejuvanation.

The stretch of Logan Road from the Buranda TOD northwards has much lower traffic loads from the later parts of Logan road due to the closing off of the entrace to Logan Road at the Wooloongabba five ways some years ago. As part of the local plan that stretch of Logan Road will be beautified and rezoned medium density resi.

I reckon it will scrub up quite nicely.

500k for 1bdrm apartment in Buranda when you can buy a 3bdrm house for that price? doubt it. not in the next 5-10 years at least
in 20 years - maybe

500k for 1bdrm apartment in Buranda when you can buy a 3bdrm house for that price? doubt it. not in the next 5-10 years at least
in 20 years - maybe

I agree that 500k for a 1 bed in Buranda is stupid but there arent many 3 bdrm house in Buranda for 500k (if any at all).

well there are currently no houses for sale at all in Buranda, according to RE, but if you look at surrounding suburbs you can still pick one up around that mark

You need to be careful with TOD. Once you are out of easy walking range the values are lost. So if its not within 500 meters of the Buranda railway station I wouldn't bother.

buranda

I agree with units been over priced at $500k. We are looking at some sites in the area and are looking to build 1 bedroom apartments ( 50m2). We feel that a price of $350 to $380k is more realsitic for this style. Sites are expensives however, owners are wanting to take some developers profits also. Anyway this is the game we play.

well there are currently no houses for sale at all in Buranda, according to RE, but if you look at surrounding suburbs you can still pick one up around that mark

Could be that 'Buranda' isn't an official suburb name, being part of Woolloongabba.

Not sure how true that is, it's just what I've heard.

I've had places come up as Buranda before on re.com.

Place in Vanda St for 600k odd from memory - the one at the end right on the train line.

Ian

According to the UBD street directory (a very authoritative publication :p ), Woolloongabba is the Suburb and Buranda is a Locality within that suburb ..... FWIW.

Cheers
LynnH

Back