North Brisbane - time to buy?

Northside is seeing some good growth for the first time since 2008. As a full time investor and agent and own 5 properties in this area, they have all increase over the last 18 month. I should state this is House and land and not units. I think units will lag behind house prices until significant growth and the pick up when homes become unaffordable. My comments are based on the mid ring of 5 - 10km from city.

Thanks
I was also looking at Zillmere a while back and that seems to have had some good gains coming from low base, this is house and land also.

MTR:)

Sounds like its been rising for some time, but is it continuing to rise??? Wonder why it was not on the radar on SS at this time 2013?? Perhaps it was and I missed the signs. Generally when an area is hot, postings go ballistic, similar to what has been happening in Syd, to a lesser degree Melb and Perth.

Sounds like its been rising for some time, but is it continuing to rise??? Wonder why it was not on the radar on SS at this time 2013?? Perhaps it was and I missed the signs. Generally when an area is hot, postings go ballistic, similar to what has been happening in Syd, to a lesser degree Melb and Perth.

I spoke to a BA last year about buying there and he wasn't recommending it. Thought buyers had been overpaying there, better opportunities elsewhere. That was just in relation to my price point though so not sure about in general.

the news seem 4th quarter of last year 2014.

I think the price should is started to move a bit. ( I am just assuming)

anyone on the ground willing to sharing some information ?

Thank you

the news seem 4th quarter of last year 2014.

I think the price should is started to move a bit. ( I am just assuming)

anyone on the ground willing to sharing some information ?

Thank you

Based on what I finance (which shouldn't be a reflection of the market) a lot of people are currently buying around the zillmere, kedron, etc areas. 12-18 months ago I would say logan but that has shifted significantly.

Everyone is trying to stay within the 15km CBD radius.

Based on what I finance (which shouldn't be a reflection of the market) a lot of people are currently buying around the zillmere, kedron, etc areas. 12-18 months ago I would say logan but that has shifted significantly.

Everyone is trying to stay within the 15km CBD radius.

I know simple but when everything in UNDER OFFER as seems to be the case in Kedron then that has to tell you something.

Not enough stock:eek:

Really? I've been thinking 90% of the posts about Brisbane have been about Zillmere, Bracken Ridge, Chermside for the past year or so..

Holland Park on the south side hasn't had too many mentions considering its big gains..

I agree, nearly every post on here regarding SEQ has been about Zillmere or the Logan when there are so many other suitable locations South and North of BN. It seems as though everyone looking in BN on here is concentrating on the same suburbs

Last edited:
I agree, nearly every post on here regarding SEQ has been about Zillmere or the Logan when there are so many other suitable locations South and North of BN. It seems as though everyone looking in BN on here is concentrating on the same suburbs

Hugh - nope. Just not talking about it

Submitted an offer yesterday on a place, agent had three offers after one inspection yesterday morning. Still waiting for a decision but there seems nothing sluggish about the market

On the Southside,. I've posted about the 25% gain in Mt gravatt east in 2 years and it's still lagging behind holland park and holland park west in terms of price, but in my view despite it being 9-10km from the city, has more to offer in terms of improving lifestyle scene

. A place in Coorparoo I tried to secure privately last week and couldn't agree on a price wa gone the day of listing, 2 legal beds for nearly 800k in a non premium street. Probably worth it but I was chasing a bargain

Northern 10-15km ring of BNE presents some opportunities but tread carefully and watch out for land releases driving more stock on to the market. Some suburbs though are fully developed and are now in-filling, or developing say 2 houses bulldozed; into little boutique 4-6 TH blocks. This is a good thing because obviously th preference is for lower-rise development to keep the area in demand.

Hugh - nope. Just not talking about it

Submitted an offer yesterday on a place, agent had three offers after one inspection yesterday morning. Still waiting for a decision but there seems nothing sluggish about the market

On the Southside,. I've posted about the 25% gain in Mt gravatt east in 2 years and it's still lagging behind holland park and holland park west in terms of price, but in my view despite it being 9-10km from the city, has more to offer in terms of improving lifestyle scene

. A place in Coorparoo I tried to secure privately last week and couldn't agree on a price wa gone the day of listing, 2 legal beds for nearly 800k in a non premium street. Probably worth it but I was chasing a bargain

Good job, both good locations IMO Mt Gravatt will one day become a mini Paramatta. There seems to be lots of developers in the area and the older ex HC places are being renovated

Good job, both good locations IMO Mt Gravatt will one day become a mini Paramatta. There seems to be lots of developers in the area and the older ex HC places are being renovated

I believe this is the plan for springwood according to the master plan, I haven't read it but my builder was telling me about it

Terry Ryder currently has a detailed report out on Northern suburbs within the 10 km radius of Brisbane CBD being fantastic opportunities to buy given we are now in a rising market in Brisbane.

I have lived in inner Northern Brisbane for 23 years now and have experienced the significant infrastructure projects underway over the past six years.

If you are looking to explore investing in the area start attending open homes and driving through the suburbs to get a 'feel' - my partner Martin and I own several properties in the inner northern area as with our PPOR here as well.

Areas worth exploring for post war homes on good building blocks are Kedron, Stafford and Stafford Heights where buying in prices are not yet out of reach for investors - alternatively some golden gems are areas such as Gordon Park for larger apartments although houses very expensive now (there are many older apartments that are larger than the new builds and well located)

Thought to share only a couple of areas to focus research on as its important to make a decision on the area to focus on for detailed DD

Cheers

Renee

I previously looked at Zillmere due to low entry compare to neighbors, but have since looked surrounding suburbs instead, due to average higher HC stock.
See attached.. Not 100% accurate, is my compilation of the HC in Zillmere scattered at certain pockets to avoid. There are about 10% HC, compared to less than 5% for neighboring suburbs.

Attachments

• Zillmere_HC.JPG
    Zillmere_HC.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 204
I previously looked at Zillmere due to low entry compare to neighbors, but have since looked surrounding suburbs instead, due to average higher HC stock.
See attached.. Not 100% accurate, is my compilation of the HC in Zillmere scattered at certain pockets to avoid. There are about 10% HC, compared to less than 5% for neighboring suburbs.

10% HC is a lot lower than it was a few years ago. The biggest problem is not HC but the number of new apartments been built in cerain parts of the suburb. At the same time there are other parts of Zillmere which are as good as its neighbour's, Aspley which has a higher profile than Zillmere.

There was some discussion back then - but not a lot. We purchased in Enogerra in late 2013 based on some discussions here. Naturally we have paid a lot of attention to anything about Brisbane North since then.

There does not seem to be anything out of the normal range in terms of growth and we are very much hoping that better years are ahead.

Still thnk the inner suburbs of Brisbane represent much better value compared to the outer areas like Logan, Redcliffe etc.

This is the thread on our purchase.

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94336&highlight=Brisbane+North+purchase

Back