12 people in a 2 bedroom apartment (150 each per week)

Assuming it is rented that would be 93K per year even though you miss a month or two 80K is still a very good return. The apartment was probably purchased for 400K+ if bought 2-3 years ago or 250K if 8 years ago.

The land lord is a bottom dwelling scum sucker.

The concept though if done legally and ethically sounds good.

have say 2-3 people per bedroom in a 2 bedroom apartment. Each pays $150 a week. Signs a 12 month contract.

Tenant is happy with decent home and decent rent. Landlord is happy with decent return. Government does not care cos 4-6 people is within the bounds of normal renting (i think).

Are you sure it can be done legally?

I would assume the owners corp could weed out people like this.

Not sure.

6 people an apartment may be pushing it regardless of the apartment size. 4 people should be fine owners corp wise considering many 2 bedroom apartments have this number of people ie two couples.

Makes you wonder how these low lifes can get away with 12 people an apartment.

i know my place which was a 2 bedroom 105sqm had 5 ppl renting. and the agent allowed it.

12 people is kind of pushing it but not sure if it is illegal or not?

To be eligible to have a rooming house you have to register with the council and comply with a range of regulations as outlined in the Health (Prescribed Acommodation) Regulations 2001.

On the issue of overcrowding the definitions are as follows;

12 square metres of bedroom floor area for up to 2 persons and one additional person with no less than an additional 4sqm of room space. ie 16sqm minimum for 3 people

I trust the authorities catch up with the landlord and treat him as sternly as the law allows.

Not sure.

6 people an apartment may be pushing it regardless of the apartment size. 4 people should be fine owners corp wise considering many 2 bedroom apartments have this number of people ie two couples.

Makes you wonder how these low lifes can get away with 12 people an apartment.
It would also take on a whole different level of risk,from fire -internal damage-health-maintenance-plus would you be able to insure the property,plus the big bills from water-gas-power,but i know of some properties in inner Brisbane where you have 6-8 plus people living in a 3 bedroom house all Taxi-Courier Drivers working all different timeframes so you never have anymore than 4 people in the house at one time..

I think there must be a reason why these tenants are willing to be a crowded apt. Do they have a history of no/ poor rent,illegal immigrants,want to be with their friends/classmates/co-workers.
Driving around Canberra, I have noticed some balconies with curtains, and wondered if there were people sleeping there.
These 12 tenants may all work different shifts, and at any given time, not too many are home.

If there were 2 sets of bunk beds in each bedroom, 2 sets in the loungeroom, one set in the dining area and possibly a couple of cots on the patio.....

Nothing wrong with renting out beds.
Years ago, when people had a dozen kids, do you think they all had their own bedroom?

As long as the tenants all understand there are lots of others sharing the premises, who is it hurting?

Depending on the culture of the landlord and/or the tenants, this may be nothing unusual.

Back