2007 election 24 Nov

Great post KB,
We are meaningless to the Yanks, other than Steve Irwin and Paul Hogan (Crocodile Dundee). Kev's got a lot of work to do just to even get close to Little Johhnie's anonymity over here.

Kev speaks Mandarin fluently, the first western leader to ever do so.

I know who I'd rather be closer to China than the USA moving forward.

I'm thinking this should be good, but G.W (or whichever puppet replaces him) might get their noses out of joint if we don't sniff along behind the USA.

I am noticing this fair weather allie mentallity more & more. Forget the fact that the yanks saved our bacon circa 1945.
I would rather be closer to a democratic country that allows difference of opinion to the state without fear of torture or imprisonment.
Seen any of the pictures from Falun protestors down at your local China town recently ? I thought Labor supporters cared about social justice.
It will be interesting to see if China disproves the theory that a country can not truly gain & maintain prosperity without democracy, seperations of power, equality & true legal ownership rights.

I am noticing this fair weather allie mentallity more & more. Forget the fact that the yanks saved our bacon circa 1945.
I would rather be closer to a democratic country that allows difference of opinion to the state without fear of torture or imprisonment.
Nothing wrong with having more than one friend... maybe we can have close relations with China & continue them with the US? (& other nations also)...
Steve

Very true.

Plus, after world war 2, the whole world would have been swallowed by communist China and the Soviet Union had it not been for the military power of the US.

See ya's.

You're speculating again TC. :D

It never hurt NZ to be big boys and not constantly bend over for the states. As our new environment minister said some years ago:

"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees" A bit extreme (probably due to being younger and overly idealistic) but the sentiment is obvious.

IMO it was embarrassing to have as our leader George Dubya's biggest global butt boy.

Of course I'm speculating.

All I do on this forum is speculate.
All anyone does is speculate.
I speculated this morning that a fox bit my ducks head off!
I speculated that it will rain at my place for another week.
I don't think I've ever posted anything yet without speculating.
Why do you keep mentioning it when I speculate about anything.
You are getting very annoying.

No one really knows if that would have happened, just my opinion. The communist push of the 50's and 60's would not have stopped without the US. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Hi Kissfan,

1. I do no think that the business operator is actually "blaming" the ALP Govt as what you are suggesting here.

2. I mention this because I sort of notice that even some of the local Australian investors/business operators has sort of "lost" their/his own investors/business confidence, following the change in Govt.

3. This particular business operator has even proceeded to sell off 2 of his own properties in Perth recently, following the Election outcome.

4. His business is presently thriving. Why would he all of a sudden, want to close down his profitable business in this case??? ( and then plan to subsequently return to re-start his business again after the ALP Govt is no longer in power?)

5. Whether he is right or wrong in his business decison, only TIME will tell ultimately.

6. However, I will not want to suggest here that he is "irrational" nor "impulsive" in making the decision. On the contrary, I suspect that I am seeing an highly shrewd and a wise, astute investor/business operator taking a well-calculated risk, in quickly and quietly exiting out from the present market for the time being, only to plan for its bigger comeback to the same market, in later years eventually.

7. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

I think anyone who is going to such lengths because of a change in government is overly paranoid. Just because they're in business, doesnt make them right.

Back