2014/15 Budget - good for investors?

The image was supposed to be taken as a joke.

At the end of the day I (and I am sure many others) are sick and tired of politicians making policies simply to win and election and then spend their term in government looking after sections of their electoral community that have the strongest lobbyists and breaking said promises that they were elected on.

That goes for all levels of government and all parties.

There is no actual long term planning unless it involves looking after their own interests.

Yes I know that you can vote against them in the next election, but really it becomes a horrible circle.

There were fairer ways to cut spending as the previous Federal government has better options to spend the surplus.

Sash
Not sure how im going to afford this $7 doctors caper. Maybe ill have to go once a day instead of 10 times a day?

Or maybe I should go to america where a doctor wont see me at all unless im with one of the insurance companies he aligns?

The fact that you can afford it completely irrelavant. Your other point (not well made I might add - I assume you are trying to say that our health system is still better than the US, which has one of the worst?) is also irrelavant.

It's no good trying to reason with then CJ.

The hysteria is...well, hysterical !:D

Suck it up people, the rescue effort has started. Anyone gets in the way, look out.

So the backlash over the budget is hysterical, i.e. there's nothing to be concerned about... yet, it's a rescue effort, and those affected need to suck it up, i.e. they do have something to be concerned about?

how does it affect you, as an investor?

lets see, everyone you rent to; or that are in the market you are selling into, has been seriously affected.

i'd say that's some pretty worrying sheet right there.

middle class welfare - was never a fan. no need for it.

wind back the excessive paid parental leave scheme to something palatable.

this budget may force the states to petition to raise the GST - that's ALSO not a good outcome as a property investor.

a country cannot tax it's way to prosperity.

even in Abbott's book "Battlelines" - he says it's a stupid move, and near politcal suicide, to federally pull funding from schools and health.

sorry, but this budget is misguided. it smacks of lobbying.

we can pull money out of health, schools and medicare but we can keep a provision for $20,000 per school to employ a chaplain? in a secular country? WTF?

we can pull money out of health, schools and medicare but we can keep a provision for $20,000 per school to employ a chaplain? in a secular country? WTF?

Agree with that sentiment totally ... wonder if it's a red herring to give the opposition something to vote out of the budget

Agree on the Chaplain program. Outrageous waste and should be illegal. However, expenditure on health and education continues to grow under this budget, just not at the forecast rate of the unaffordable ALP plans beyond the forward estimates.

I actually support the Chaplains in School program. It's good for the kids to have someone to go to who's not a teacher, not part of the system, who can take their hurts and put into context. Who can speak soothing words of comfort when they are down. Whose secret they know is safe with the Chaplain and secure in the knowledge they won't be judged by their peers or teachers. Chaplains can gently explain that this life is more than just the material wealth we accumulate when kids wonder aloud what the meaning of life is.

We have Chaplains in the Armed Forces..
Why not Chaplains in Schools?

Both are battlegrounds...where men, women and children get scarred

I actually support the Chaplains in School program. It's good for the kids to have someone to go to who's not a teacher, not part of the system, who can take their hurts and put into context. Who can speak soothing words of comfort when they are down. Whose secret they know is safe with the Chaplain and secure in the knowledge they won't be judged by their peers or teachers. Chaplains can gently explain that this life is more than just the material wealth we accumulate when kids wonder aloud what the meaning of life is.

All of those thing can and should be undertaken by trained counsellors, not chaplains whose purpose is indoctrination of children.

I agree with this aspect of it - moreso to complement or assist a teacher school councillor or psychologist.

I know of a large public school here in SA that has recently employed an EXTRA councillor (? approx 80K salary) because the suicide rate at the school had increased.

Anyway... didn't Gillard increase existing Chaplains numbers? I thought it was a case of continuing funding??

All of those thing can and should be undertaken by trained counsellors, not chaplains whose purpose is indoctrination of children.

Do you know any chaplains? They are, first and foremost, trained counsellors. They are probably paid less than secular counsellors would charge.

Do you know any chaplains? They are, first and foremost, trained counsellors. They are probably paid less than secular counsellors would charge.

Sorry, but Chaplains are trained by their own organisations to those organisations' requirements. They are not required to have any recognised training in councelling or social work.

Not only did the budget find more money for this program, they have imposed a restriction so that the program no longer covers non-relgious welfare workers (added to the program by the former Labor govt)!

How does that madness grab you?

With any luck the program will be axed altogether by the High Court.

Yes, I've known 3 at my children's school and they are not at all appropriately trained except in the Scripture Union (qld) dogma. I've no doubt they are paid less than real counsellors, secular or not.

If the first and foremost role of this program was counselling, it would be undertaken by counsellors, not unqualified religious recruiters.

However the first and foremost objective of these people is very clear. While they disguise their website and propagand pretty well these days, you just need to jump onto the wayback machine and look at their older webpages when they were less vigilent. For example:

"SU Qld’s ultimate vision is to bring hope to a young generation through a relationship with Jesus, the Bible and local churches. We do this through school chaplaincy, camping, community outreach and kids at risk programs.
SU exists to work with churches, resourcing and supporting them in their ministry. This partnership provides a strategic alliance for taking advantage of the many opportunities which exist for ministry in primary schools."

Their infiltration of schools is for no other reason than recruitment.

Last edited:
Hope they have a big room for all the plasma TVs. :D

My Mrs used her stimulus to fund a spur of the moment interstate shopping trip with one of the daughters. Air fares, hotel accommodation, food and transport came to a few thousand but she didn't end up buying much though did catch up with old friends. The Government would have got back near $300 in GST alone.

IMO counsellors in state schools should be qualified and secular. If private religion based schools want to preach their faith then fine - but the state shouldn't pay for that.

I also think religion/faith/beliefs should be taught, it's a huge part of society. But it should be taught in an objective and religion/faith/belief neutral way. As many 'religions' as possible should be taught, including different brands of the two most popular religions.

At the very least it should be an opt in rather than an opt out system. Brother Tony would disagree.

Yes, I've known 3 at my children's school and they are not at all appropriately trained except in the Scripture Union (qld) dogma. I've no doubt they are paid less than real counsellors, secular or not.

If the first and foremost role of this program was counselling, it would be undertaken by counsellors, not unqualified religious recruiters.

However the first and foremost objective of these people is very clear. While they disguise their website and propagand pretty well these days, you just need to jump onto the wayback machine and look at their older webpages when they were less vigilent. For example:

"SU Qld?s ultimate vision is to bring hope to a young generation through a relationship with Jesus, the Bible and local churches. We do this through school chaplaincy, camping, community outreach and kids at risk programs.
SU exists to work with churches, resourcing and supporting them in their ministry. This partnership provides a strategic alliance for taking advantage of the many opportunities which exist for ministry in primary schools."

Their infiltration of schools is for no other reason than recruitment.

Or this incredibly offensive quote from ACCESS ministries which provide chaplains in VIC:

?in Australia we have a God-given open door to children and young people with the Gospel, our federal and state governments allow us to take the Christian faith into our schools and share it. We need to go and make disciples.?

Hope they have a big room for all the plasma TVs. :D

Im not sure why people keep using this plasma TV argument against the handouts.
The idea of the handouts was to provide immediate stimulus for the economy, as opposed to infrastructure projects which had a long lead time.

So in order to buy a TV, assuming that's what some people used it for, it required a local retailer with local staff and distribution networks, and ultimately a product that that requires raw materials that we export.

Im not sure why people keep using this plasma TV argument against the handouts.
The idea of the handouts was to provide immediate stimulus for the economy, as opposed to infrastructure projects which had a long lead time.

So in order to buy a TV, assuming that's what some people used it for, it required a local retailer with local staff and distribution networks, and ultimately a product that that requires raw materials that we export.

Becuase the financial burden of borrowing that stimulus to fund ciggie/plasma/booze doesn't provide the biggest bang for buck and cycling through the economy as those 'long lead time' projects, especially when those projects can provide efficiency dividends and economic growth. A plasma purchase is a flash in the pan, whilst well thought out national investment can provide long term results.

Then there are some lines of thought which say we should have just scooted through the GFC, worn the costs and came out without having to repay hundreds of billions for decades - now theres a thought.

Back