2nd Hand Computers?

Hi everyone!

I am in need of a cheap 2nd work computer (for the new shop). Basically it will just run a POS program (controlling cash draw), internet, inventory database and that's about it.

I am thinking of buying one of these reconditioned computers from ebay - but really I have no idea what I need as far as RAM, er, and all the other stuff. I really don't know what it all means. So what's the basic set-up that is acceptable these days? And has anyone had any experience with 2nd hand computers?

Thanks!
Michelle.

Michelle,

A business PC despite the not so demanding task is a tool and as such
it should be reliable.

In my opinion 2nd hand computers are not going to be reliable
you don't want to bring other people's problems to your business.

PC's are not that expensive, I would look be buying something new.
Additionally, you should be buying it from a local computer store
so that they can come over and provide you with onsite support.

Cheers

Show us an example/link of what you are looking at on eBay.....I can't begin to describe how over priced some second hand/refurbished computer items can be on eBay. I have seen them selling sometimes at over new price :eek:

Dell has quite cheap packages and offer onsite support, maybe check out their small business offerings:
http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/pro...sktops_good?c=au&cs=aubsd1&l=en&s=bsd#connect

If you learn a bit about what you are shopping for you could also look at purchasing from the Dell Outlet:
http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=au&cs=&l=en&s=dfo&~ck=anavml
These items are generally items returned to Dell unopened due to change of mind, etc. Dell discounts them heavily and then displays them on the above site. You need to be quick though (ie within a couple of hours of items being listed in most cases) and they aren't customiseable, but I recently saved 40% of their standard RRP for a projector that I bought. Bargain!

I bought an almost brand new IBM machine on eBay for my youngest daughter. Cost me under $200 and has been reliable to date.

eBay is great for people who know what they want and how much they should pay.

The other points are valid. If you are computer naive then the support you get with a new machine is worth quite a lot to you. Especially if something as important as your business is relying on it being operational.

Sometimes doing something the cheapest way can prove the most expensive.

In my opinion 2nd hand computers are not going to be reliable
you don't want to bring other people's problems to your business.

PC's are not that expensive, I would look be buying something new.
Additionally, you should be buying it from a local computer store
so that they can come over and provide you with onsite support.

Follow BV advice it just not worth it , the last thing you want is a break down while serving customers.
To cut a long story short I own/partners in a medium size computer company/store and see hundreds of these so called awesome deals arrive to later find it costs them more then it's worth.
Often when some thing goes wrong parts need to be replaced with 2nd hand parts as new parts are no longer manufactured. What is available new will just create conflicts with the old pc and not function.
Plus most parts have an approx 1-2yr life span and seem to always just die.

I suggest check out local stores with back up.
If you want a basic idea of price check link.
On left side scroll down to " SYSTEMS" and HOME / OFFICE
http://www.gamedude.com.au/

I would buy a basic bottom of the line from Dell. Probably about $1000 to $12000, delivered, with warranty.

Following what others have said.

If you have a business, you have a lot of money invested. You want quality, and warranty- but you dont't REALLy want to collect on the warranty at the expense of your business.

Don't put that into risk by buying an inferior computer.

Buy something with a guarantee. If not Dell, from your local computer shop. Where it can be repaired quickly.

Not second hand. Not if it is a critical part of your business.

Hi Michelle,

I strongly do not recommend a 2nd hand PC to use as a POS machine.

If a POS machine fails, it will reduce your ability to trade and for a business, skimping on such a crucial component is encouraging Murphy's law. It is doomed to fail. Imagine if your store was really busy and the PC failed, it would effect your operational effectiveness.

2nd Hand PC's can have components which experience significant wear and tear for example the hard disk drive which stores all your POS data and details. Imagine if this went bust and you had no backups in place? I'm sure you'd have a backup to allow trade but it'd be very inconvenient for a POS machine to fail.

I have experience working and coordinating small pieces of work with POS computers, registers and retail systems and I'd strongly suggest you put good money towards a decent PC where you have good support should it fail.

POS Down = Reduce Ability to Trade = Reduced $$$ for your business.

Back