3 & 5 year fixed rates thread

My mb reckons wait to see if the IR fall at the next meeting in Feb. But also that you have to be careful and not wait to long. It might not go much lower than 5.8%. He says if you get something in the 5 range your doing well.

I worked out I'll save a total of around $150 per month for each loan with the 5.8% so I'll wait to see what happens in Feb and then jump at the 5.8%! The PPOR (which is ip#2) will be only slightly NG if I get the 5.8%

would it be better to lock 1 in and then see if you can lock the next one - PPOR (which is ip#2) at a lower rate that may get it closer to neutral?

Hi Rolf,

How do you get vals done upfront that the bank will accept? My bank (start with a W), said they won't take any valuations I personally get done.

The bg red doesnt offer upfront vals

BUT

even there u can get around itat small cost

WBC usually has only ONE panel valuer in a Postcode

Hire that valuer personally, let em know u want a val for mortgage purposes.

They arent going to give u one number and WBC another when they run their own with the same firm

We have used this strategy quite a bit to mininmise CRAA hits due to sad vals

ta

rolf

The bg red doesnt offer upfront vals

BUT

even there u can get around itat small cost

WBC usually has only ONE panel valuer in a Postcode

Hire that valuer personally, let em know u want a val for mortgage purposes.

They arent going to give u one number and WBC another when they run their own with the same firm

We have used this strategy quite a bit to mininmise CRAA hits due to sad vals

ta

rolf

I have done the same with WBC.. has worked a treat.

would it be better to lock 1 in and then see if you can lock the next one - PPOR (which is ip#2) at a lower rate that may get it closer to neutral?

hmmmm, that is an idea! I'll think about that one!

edited to say: I'm not sure if I can though because they are cross col. there are 2 separate loans. a residential investment loan and a regular home loan. so maybe i can i dunno. i'll talk to mb come early feb. thanks for the idea!

Last edited:
Now that the RBA didn't cut the rates and they say the banks might increase IR soon I think it is now the ideal time to grab the 2 year 5.8% fixed rate ANZ is offering!! I dont think the fixed rates are going to go much lower!!

I dont plan to be buying in the next 2 years so this would be ideal for me!

MB advised me a couple of weeks ago to wait until after Febs RBA announcement and so now I will ring him and make an appointment.

I'm with breakfree so I'm hoping I can still keep my loans as IO and with an offset attached!

Yeah I read earlier that anz offset only comes with the 1 year fixed rate loan. You also have to pay $750 lock fee. I reckon I'm better off just staying SV!

Yeah I read earlier that anz offset only comes with the 1 year fixed rate loan. You also have to pay $750 lock fee. I reckon I'm better off just staying SV!

Adelaide bank and credit union Australia offer 100 % offset on fixed rate loans.

the Rock building society used to but don't any more

Expect interest rates to be a little higher than normal for the obvious benefit

TA

Rolf

cant you fix a percentage of your loan with an offset?
and that the variable part is the only part thats gets offset with the money in the offset
eg loan 100K
offset 50K
fix 30K
variable 70K

offset against variable 50K - 30K = 20K
fixed 30K

ANZ Fixed rate - New with Breakfree !

ANZ have a special offer.

For a limited time you can fix for 3 years @ 5.99% on an ANZ breakfree package. I'm hoping this means that 100% offset and IO applies ?

http://anz.com/personal/home-loans/compare-home-loan/breakfree-home-loan/

The site says:

To take advantage of these special offers, applications must be submitted between 6th February 2012 and 29th February 2012, and loan must be drawn by 31st August 2012.

Last edited:
ANZ have a special offer.

For a limited time you can fix for 3 years @ 5.99% on an ANZ breakfree package. I'm hoping this means that 100% offset and IO applies ?

100 % offset...............no, not on the fixed, but u can split a small variable portion out and still have an offset on that.

IO, yes, but...................until sometime in the future a Variable to IO fixed conversion is "credit critical" you will need to apply for the loans from scratch , including vals............

This can often be a gotcha with many products where we dont look carefully at what may or may not happen in the future

ta
rolf

Considered moving a couple of loans to the ANZ 5.99%. But our variable rate is only 6.26%. For 0.27%, it would save $100/month, BUT we'd be locked in... not sure if $100/month is worth the flexibility, or conversely, the hassle!

Considered moving a couple of loans to the ANZ 5.99%. But our variable rate is only 6.26%. For 0.27%, it would save $100/month, BUT we'd be locked in... not sure if $100/month is worth the flexibility, or conversely, the hassle!

consider ................

New loan app

New vals

New credit

etc

not yet, tick and flick as at most lenders

ta
rolf

Back