3 and 5 year fixed rate thread

Noticing some interest from people asking questions about the fixed rates, with variables likely heading down in the short term it's a challenging decision to make.

in many cases its a simple one : )

where it does get challenging if we arent clear for the reasons and the downsides.

Could we see effective variable rates below 5 % in the next 12 mths ?

Interesting question to ponder, and most of the bankers dont think so due to cost pressures from offshore, but I guess the more we fund out of Oz the less that will be an issue ? Im not an economics guy otherwise I would be on my big boat in the Witsundays and the Bahamas, flying between them in my Gulfstream 4:)

ta
rolf

Can someone please direct me to where I can see a graph or figures showing the history of 3 year and 5 year fixed loan rates over time. Basically something that shows these rates over the last 10 or 20 years. I'd particularly like to see how low they've gone historically and maybe get an indication of how far we are off in comparison. Thanks in anticipation. :)

Here is a graph i did last month on rba tracked data.

image001.png

Thanks for that. It appears that 3 year rates are at about the lowest point that they have ever been in the last 30 years. Westpac dropped their rates today to apparently the lowest of the big four and quite competitive with some of the minors. I don't expect to be able to pick the bottom of the market. I'm fixing. :)

Is it safe to assume that the banks are expecting more rate cuts from the RBA? Surely they won't drop their fixed rates if they think they will lose money.

Is it safe to assume that the banks are expecting more rate cuts from the RBA? Surely they won't drop their fixed rates if they think they will lose money.

I guess its better than that, the money markets are pricing these things, the lenders are just buying them and pretty much retaining their margins (I think !)

ta
rolf

St George dropped their 3 year rate by 0.1% to 5.49% on Tuesday.

Best thing about it is I had a property settle on Tuesday and got the new rate. :)

Comparison rate for fixed loans means nothing....or does it??

Comparison rate for fixed loans means nothing.

Hi Aaron,

Can you explain why you suggest this? The comp rate does take into account other charges,fees and finance costs associated with the financing method.

Whilst I agree that the fixed period of the loan is generally lesser than the overall comp rate term, these fees are still important and, ceteris paribus (all else being equal) do differentiate total cost of financing....don't they?

I get more concerned with the small print fees, charges, refinancing costs etc that sit behind a low advertised rate.

I get more concerned with the small print fees, charges, refinancing costs etc that sit behind a low advertised rate.

thats fine

So look at the actual fees and charges

Comp rate generally can be misleading because it looks to compare carrots and oranges because they are the same colour

ta
rolf

Can you explain why you suggest this? The comp rate does take into account other charges,fees and finance costs associated with the financing method.

It means nothing because:

a) Comparison rates are based on small loan amounts ($150,000) that have a greater impact on the effect of fees/charges etc.
b) The comparison rate does not give you any solid information about the cost of the loan because the entire point of a fixed rate is that you and the bank are bound to stick to that particular rate for X years, without breaking it. How can you ever assume that the rate will be broken without knowing or predicting the future? It is worthless.

For me the comparison rates only looks at figures. They don't look at what type of servicing a bank might require etc etc.
They are an ok basis on which to start the real comparison.
For my latest venture the comparison rate was void as I wanted a bank who would lend to a Trust for 4 villas on a single title at residential rates. I also wanted to set it up so I had 40% fixed IO and 60% variable IO with offset. At the end of the day there was one bank :)

Back