5 weeks to tile 3 villas

Now I am angry, my tiler is continually shafting me, he should take 3 weeks to complete 3 villas, here we are 5 weeks and I am counting, therefore he is holding up all my other trades.

Had a dummy spit with the Builder this morning. Tiler should be there on Monday, let's see if he turns up.

Anyone know average timing for this 3 villas x 150 sqm in Perth market, I don't believe I am over reacting.

OK, I have had a good rant, now for my glass of wine

MTR:)

Have they started yet and if so how much have they done?

Are they working different jobs at the same time or sticking with yours?

Did he have to wait for any trades himself?
Did he have to waterproof?
Did he have to top any floors, make hobs or nib walls?
What size floor tiles is he laying?
Bathroom and en suite per villa?
Is it just him, or does he have labourers as well?
Is/was he half way through a job and the builder called him the night before the villas were ready to go?
Has the builder paid the tiler from the previous job?

Are we getting the full picture or just your rant?

pinkboy

Yes, it did, jumped on the builder and the project manager.

Met up with the tiler this morning, asked me why a job that should take 3 weeks has taken 5 weeks and that he is holding up the other trades.
He will be completed this Wednesday and I will be on site Tuesday and Wednesday, this is 1 hour return trip/car.:rolleyes:

His explanation was that he also has other personal jobs besides the builder's work.

As they say "the squeaky wheel gets the grease", so got to keep pushing everyone. Will be writing up a list for the project manager.

Still didn't answer my questions above. It could quite possibly take 4-5 weeks for 3 villas.

pinkboy

No, it should not because I have a girlfriend building on the same street, 3 villas, in fact her villas are larger and they only took 2-3 weeks because they never left the job until it was completed.

5 weeks is unacceptable. However, it is the project manager who is at fault IMO.

The tiler has always only been on my job 1-2 days, this week it will be 3 fingers crossed.

No, it should not because I have a girlfriend building on the same street, 3 villas, in fact her villas are larger and they only took 2-3 weeks because they never left the job until it was completed.

5 weeks is unacceptable. However, it is the project manager who is at fault IMO.

The tiler has always only been on my job 1-2 days, this week it will be 3 fingers crossed.

You're not very good at comprehending are you?

A single tiler will not waterproof, tile 150m2 of floor, a bathroom, an ensuite, kitchen and laundry splashback and grout it all in a single week.

Or, if you cared to answer each question, then it can be understood what is taking the tiler so long?

Perhaps your friends villas are being tiled by a gang of tilers? Who knows, you don't provide enough detail in your rant.

pinkboy

Pinkboy

Chill out

150 sqm is the size of the villa, bedrooms are not tiled.

My builder is also of the opinion that he has taken too long, my builder should know what/how long it should take as he uses his team regularly.

Pinkboy

Chill out

150 sqm is the size of the villa, bedrooms are not tiled.

My builder is also of the opinion that he has taken too long, my builder should know what/how long it should take as he uses his team regularly.

You're builder is conditioning you. They are good at that.

Even if bedrooms weren't tiled, its still a decent villa. Would definitely be slow if he was tiling 500s or 600s on the floors and if there was 2 bathrooms per villa. Also time in waterproofing assuming tiler did his own. Again, is he by himself or others working with him?

Again, we are not getting the full facts and you're naive to the fact.

pinkboy

Hi Marisa
i recall in another post that you said the tiler was great. Is this the same tiler ? Or maybe it was someone else that said that.

alright, alright, twisting my arm again, I have so much in my head at the moment.

Tiler worked with a labourer (1)
tiles - 600s
1 ensuite
1 bathroom
waterproofing was completed on day 1

Because he was on and off again on my job, he got the configuration wrong with regards to how I wanted the tiling with regards to features, but as it was already finished I left it, it looked good anyway.

His a bloody good tiler from Albania, at least that's a big +.

But why would the builder want to condition me?? he wants the tiler to finish the job so he can send me a progress claim....

Don't tell me you are a tiler?

alright, alright, twisting my arm again, I have so much in my head at the moment.

Tiler worked with a labourer (1)
tiles - 600s
1 ensuite
1 bathroom
waterproofing was completed on day 1

Because he was on and off again on my job, he got the configuration wrong with regards to how I wanted the tiling with regards to features, but as it was already finished I left it, it looked good anyway.

His a bloody good tiler from Albania, at least that's a big +.

But why would the builder want to condition me?? he wants the tiler to finish the job so he can send me a progress claim....

Don't tell me you are a tiler?

I am a tiler, yes.

*1 day to waterproof? Yikes, that sounds dodgy already! I hope they were done with fibreglass or tape properly. Any decks tiled?
*Tiling 100m2 floor per villa with 600s - Yikes. 2-3 solid days for them both. Ceramic or porcelain? Rectified?
*Bathroom plus ensuite per villa - good 2 days each, especially if there are hobs or shower recesses to screed, baths to tile over etc
*Kitchen in yet? Splashbacks?
*Grout/silicone 1 day per villa.

Solid 4 weeks work there. 5 weeks wouldn't be too unacceptable if they were ducking away a day or 2 to finish off other jobs. Perhaps the builder was getting him to finish off grouting/silicon other houses for progress payments too? Your builder might be telling the truth, or he might just be being a builder?

pinkboy

interesting

rectified and porcelain
no deck tiles

no kitchen splash back as he is doing this once the carpenter has fitted the overhead cupboards same as laundry

we wont talk about the water proof will we, otherwise that will be more stuff in my head:)

Thanks, appreciate this

interesting

rectified and porcelain
no deck tiles

no kitchen splash back as he is doing this once the carpenter has fitted the overhead cupboards same as laundry

we wont talk about the water proof will we, otherwise that will be more stuff in my head:)

Thanks, appreciate this

You were awfully overconfident in your original post, and now its broken down in increments its easier to see that your 3 villas in 3 weeks is easily debunked.

I don't 'chill' because I do this (among a million other things) for a living and was only trying to help.

Id be asking for a copy of the waterproof certificate, and ask he in fact provide you/the builder proof he has a qualification. 1 day waterproofing sounds really dodgy to me.

Rectified porcelain 600s - oh boy they are so easy to lay - NOT!

Now we have all the facts, we can conclude that its a lot easier said than done.

pinkboy

Pinkboy

Funny, I just thought you were giving me a hard time. Why did you not mention you were a tiler from the start, I would have paid more attention;)

You see, I did not even know what rectified tiles were until I started this project, now I know:)

I find it difficult to even hold one of those 600s tiles, very heavy.

Thanks for the info on waterproof cert etc, that is very good to know and will do this.

cheers

Pinkboy

Funny, I just thought you were giving me a hard time. Why did you not mention you were a tiler from the start, I would have paid more attention;)

I was ;). Where is the fun in telling you straight up? :D

You see, I did not even know what rectified tiles were until I started this project, now I know:)

I find it difficult to even hold one of those 600s tiles, very heavy.

If you can hardly hold one, imagine laying the little suckers?

Thanks for the info on waterproof cert etc, that is very good to know and will do this.

Worth it, could cost you and the builder a lot in $$$ and heartache if its not done properly. Could even be yours that fails.....

cheers

In red above.

pinkboy

MTR the questions were pretty specific, my guess would of been that PB is a tiler.. Actually pretty sure I knew already :) on SS people usually ask questions they know answers to :)

Back