50,000 bank jobs may go to India

This means Real Estate Prices will

• Increase (spend their redundancies on property)

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Decrease (they'll bail on their investments in favour of food)

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Stay the same (they'll get great jobs elsewhere with ease)

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0...2D15316,00.html
50,000 bank jobs may go to India
James Riley
JANUARY 18, 2005

ANZ Bank boosted developer numbers at its Bangalore software facility in India by more than 30 per cent last year as it struggled with staff shortages and an overflow of integration work in Australia.

Two other big-four banks - National Australia Bank and Westpac - have also joined the offshoring trend, confirming last week that they had engaged Tata Consultancy Services to perform project work on their behalf in India.
In the past year, ANZ boosted employee numbers at its information technology subsidiary in India by 32 per cent - from 400 to more than 530 - to work on integrating technology systems from its National Bank of New Zealand subsidiary, which ANZ acquired in late 2003.

The Bangalore operation was also playing a central role in developing and maintaining the bank's Peoplesoft human resources and enterprise resource planning projects - an area in which Australia lacked skills, according to an ANZ spokeswoman.

ANZ, which eschewed the outsourcing trend in the late 1990s to retain its hi-tech capabilities firmly in-house, has led the charge in using India-based programmers for Australian work.

The bank has not outsourced development service provision.

Rather, when ANZ sold its India-based Grindlay's Bank subsidiary to the Standard Chartered Bank in 2000, it retained ownership of Grindlay's information technology operation.

Now called ANZ IT, the India-based facility is a central component of the bank's software development and support infrastructure.

Although ANZ IT grew considerably last year, the bank has said it was not at the expense of work that would have been performed in Australia.

"ANZ continues to have about 2000 technology staff working in Australia and New Zealand and we have no plan to change that," the spokeswoman said.

"ANZ IT in Bangalore is an important part of our technology capability and allows us to access some technology skills that are not readily available in Australia.

"The facility provides a flexible workforce that can be scaled around projects, and it provides some cost advantages."

ANZ is also using Tata Consultancy Services to develop its custodian services project.

Westpac has also confirmed that it has engaged Tata on a one-off software development project.

It is thought Westpac is using the project to test the Indian market.

National Australia Bank used Tata in 2000 and 2001.

Finance Sector Union national assistant secretary Cath Noye said offshoring jobs to cheaper labour markets could have a similar effect to the mass branch closures of the 1980s, which cost the industry 40,000 jobs.

Although the union accepted that offshoring some jobs to foreign markets was inevitable, Ms Noye said the Australian economy would suffer if the federal Government did not develop a co-ordinated response to improve local competitiveness.

Union officials will seek meetings with Government and opposition members of parliament to raise concerns about the trend.

"We realise we're in a global market now, and we are not unrealistic about that as a trend," Ms Noye said.

"We want to see this discussed openly, because this is a very important issue, not just for the financial sector, but for the country."

Global business consultancy Deloitte Research expects 15 per cent of the finance sector workforce to be relocated to cheaper labour markets by 2008.

Deloitte estimates that more than 50,000 of Australia's present finance sector workforce of 344,000 will be moved offshore within three years.

Ms Noye said the FSU was working with other finance unions globally through the Union Network International to make sure the offshoring trend did not become "a race to the bottom in wages and labour standards".

"The Indians are worried about losing their jobs to the Sri Lankans, and everybody is worried about losing their jobs to the Chinese," Ms Noye said

Where do they get 50 000 from?

CBA use EDS
WBC use IBM/Telstra
NAB use ???/Telstra

PS This is coffee lounge material.

And the call centres as well.

Telstra, the major banks and other organisations have also been circling
the idea of outsourcing their call centres and IT support overseas
for a while now.

The changes in technology now allow an IT support person to be based
anywhere in the world.

At my work ( based in Sydney) IT support calls are often answered
from New Zealand. The IT guy remotely connects to your PC and upgrades it
or fixes the problem.

I recently travelled to Europe and from the hotel I was able to log on
to our server in Sydney, send & receive e-mails and use server based software.

I was doing my job exactly as if I was at my desk in Sydney.

How exciting, some people would say, Interesting times I say....

The world is certainly changing and our jobs are threatened more and more.
But its not only about job security its also about job creation and services.
Why would my savings or my tax $ be creating jobs elsewhere, when we
have unemployment right here? doh??

What I dislike with the banks and companies like TELSTRA is that
they have been consistently increasing their fees and have been decreasing
their services (they think we are stupid).

In the interest of higher profits CEO's are forgetting the people
who have made their organisation what it is today.

i.e the consumers.
What are they going to do when we stop trading with their organisation?

BV said:
The world is certainly changing and our jobs are threatened more and more.
But its not only about job security its also about job creation and services.
Why would my savings or my tax $ be creating jobs elsewhere, when we
have unemployment right here? doh??
Here and there - we all live on the same planet. Many people in other countries create jobs for Australians by buying our products, services & intellectual capacity. It's a two-way street.

If you don't want to create jobs elsewhere, stop buying imported products. ALL of them. Hard to find a 100% Australian made computer so you can participate in this forum isn't it? :)

In the interest of higher profits CEO's are forgetting the people
who have made their organisation what it is today.
i.e the consumers.
What are they going to do when we stop trading with their organisation?
CEOs have obligations to their shareholders and employees FIRST. As a consumer would you want to see a CEO put their employees at risk of severe bodily harm just so you, the consumer, could buy a gadget they make?

If you stop buying their products what will you buy instead? Imports? Back to the last point!

If you want to influence a CEO, buy the company. Then you're the owner and can do what you want.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Seems like I'll be buying some more bank stocks, obviously lots of savings for banks to be had.

As for Telstra , lots & lots of fat still left to shed. So I'll buy more as well.

PS Acey bring a couple for me as well since I have no job....(or so people keep telling me :rolleyes: )

:cool:

I think CEO's can be sourced cheaper in India, I get the feeling they won't be offshoring their own jobs though...

Beach Bum,

Banks don't have as much to shed as you might think. I know Westpac quite well - they have a small IT department, mainly doing software programming, IT strategy and contract governance. Some of the programming has been occuring in Bangalore for the last 4 or so years. The bulk of their IT is purchased from the service arms of IBM and Telstra.

As for their call centres, their main one is in Launceston where the land and staff are high quality and affordable.

Aceyducey said:
If you stop buying their products what will you buy instead? Imports? Back to the last point!
Cheers,
Aceyducey

Well Acey,
We are talking about service based public profile Australian companies
and they are not selling goods.

For example when banking with an Australian Bank
ensures ( to an extend) that my savings are safe
and my personal records are safeguarded
So I would expect it to be sourceing their staff localy.
Otherwise what is the difference between a local bank and an overseas bank
opening branches here if both have the same employment policy?

If you fly with Quantas because its Australian and its safety standards are
high would you want it to offload the Aircraft maintenance to some cheap
overseas company? I am sure initially the CEO would look good and the
shares would be performing great but only until the 1st aircraft falls....

And TELSTRA ofcourse was funded by Australian Tax payers money
so why shouldn't they be giving employment to the people who paid for
its establishement and are still paying through the nose with increasing
charges and decreasing services....
Telstra have no competition anyway.

Ofcourse privately owned companies will do as they like
and I am sure that such cost cutting practices are already in place
by multinational companies.

cheers

Almost every bank branch and the people in it will soon be expendable and eventually obsolete. IT expenses are minute in comparison.

As for CEO's from India....they can hardly supply cheap unskilled labour atm.

BV,Telstra (Telecom) has paid it employees (many few are workers) Australian tax payers money for sitting on their buts for years.
And then paid them lump sums just get them out.
Telstra has probably been the most generous employer Australia has ever seen, all on the tax payers expense! That's the reason you're paying through the nose.

"Of course privately owned companies will do as they like"
Seem to me like you've never owned one to make this statement.

have a nice day :cool:

As a question of quality, I'm not too hot about Indian phone representatives - not only are they harder to understand, the phone quality is also buggy. Especially when dealing with important matters, I want someone who is able to clarify a matter 100%, not confuse it even more.

Of course I once got an American phone representative, and their "Americanglish" was even harder to understand! :D (And I've seen plenty of Jerry Springer)

(Also a mystery why a company would outsource to the United States, of all places, for a simple sales operator).

Back